Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Soap -- Mask Cleaning
Soap -- Mask Cleaning
I remember that someone here recommended using baby shampoo to clean the silicon seal on our masks every morning. I had been using antibacterial hand soap with light moisturizers; however, today while at Wal Mart we found so "Equate" brand baby wash & shampoo... it claims to be hypoallergenic so we bought it... I liked the idea of using the antibacterial soap to help keep the bacteria from forming in the mask; however someone here thought it would harm the silicon seal... Anyone have additional views or ideas on this subject?

I wash my face every night before putting the mask on and had been also using the antibacterial hand soap to keep the bacteria down.... Additionally, I wash/soak the mask and hose once a week using the antibacterial hand soap... should I consider only using the baby wash & shampoo?

Thanks again for this wonderful forum....
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Soap -- Mask Cleaning
(06-22-2012, 05:18 PM)312capri Wrote: Anyone have additional views or ideas on this subject?
Some use wipes but I wash the mask in the shower

Post Reply Post Reply
i just remember that my DME supplier told me never to use Dawn dish soap for cleaning the mask... she said that it would destroy the silicon face seal! I just remember they used it by the 55 gallon drum to clean the birds soaked in crude oil after the accident in the Gulf of Mexico!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi 312capri, I have used baby shampoo and have had good results. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of the literature regarding the different masks advise against using anti-bacterial soaps because they can be hard on them. I would say that if you haven't had problems with leaks after using anti-bacterial soaps, I guess you are okay. I think I would opt for the milder soaps such as baby shampoo or milder dishsoaps without anti-bacterial agents though. Of course, this is my opinion and this is what has worked for me.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I use Ajax liquid hand dishwashing soap. It's antibacterial and does a great job of removing facial oil that accumulates during the night. Have not noticed any degradation in the quality of the cushion or the seal. I switched from baby shampoo on the recommendation of an RT that fits masks to patients that are going in for sleep studies as well as being a hosehead herself.

Suz
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2012, 05:48 PM)312capri Wrote: i just remember that my DME supplier told me never to use Dawn dish soap for cleaning the mask... she said that it would destroy the silicon face seal! I just remember they used it by the 55 gallon drum to clean the birds soaked in crude oil after the accident in the Gulf of Mexico!

That never occurred to me. I've been using Dawn, but I'll go get some baby shampoo the next time I go grocery shopping. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2012, 05:48 PM)312capri Wrote: i just remember that my DME supplier told me never to use Dawn dish soap for cleaning the mask... she said that it would destroy the silicon face seal! I just remember they used it by the 55 gallon drum to clean the birds soaked in crude oil after the accident in the Gulf of Mexico!

If it's true that Dawn will destroy the silicone face seal, I wonder what it is in Dawn that does the damage. I don't ever buy Dawn, so I don't have a bottle to look at the ingredients list. I would be surprised if the same ingredient didn't turn up in a lot of other products.

But I have to say that this leaves me skeptical. It has all the ring of an urban myth.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was told to use anti-bacterial hand soap -- but not the kind with additives for softening the skin.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, 312capri. I've been using Ivory liquid to clean masks and humidifiers for over five years and have not seen any damage or deterioration to mask seals.
Post Reply Post Reply

I've used dawn antibacterial dish soap to clean mine since I started CPAP - 2 years next month. Every day. I'm thinking about ordering a new mask cushion next month, just because it's 2 years old.

I chose dawn *specifically* because its been shown to be the best thing to use for cleaning up birds and marine mammals after oil spills.

http://news.discovery.com/animals/dawn-d...imals.html

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 13 5,745 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Magoo905
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 147 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 227 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,888 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 204 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 403 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 646 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.