Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Soft Cervical Collar
Soft Cervical Collar
Some advice please folks

want to try a soft cervical collar to prevent mouth breathing (see chart envy chain) but there seem to be a million choices and sizes - any advice on which one to try appreciated - did lots if searching here and looked in reviews and couldn't see any specific advice

Thanks in advance 

Rob
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Soft Cervical Collar
Make sure to measure your neck and the distance from the base of your neck to the bottom of your chin. You don't want one that's too tall or too tight. Make sure it's not too thick also. You want it to be able to nudge the base of your jaw closed without forcing it. Amazon is a good place to look. I bought my first one at a local drug store so I could try them on. After that I ordered them online.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Got mine from the local pharmacy (drugstore?). Out of the box it was wrapped in plastic allowing me to see if it was the correct fit at the store. The brand is "Surgipack" and is made in Taiwan. It's inexpensive but does the job well for a mouth breather like me. There are three sizes, all to do with neck height. Not sure if this available in the US.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have two design choices. Most soft cervical collars are full wrap-around and stabilize the neck in every direction. Example may be the Caldera Releaf. Another style is a wedge that fits under the chin like the Dr Dakota Snorting Stop. Both types have their fans and the majority of members seem to use the wrap-around collars. Either way, the discomfort can't be worse than the high AHI you're experiencing currently. There should be links to related threads at the bottom of this thread, and you should click on the other threads related to soft cervical collars to see what others are saying.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys, very useful and will be my next thing to try

Ahhhhh see the related threads now Sleeprider, will peruse them now.

Rob
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2018, 11:40 AM)Technopauper Wrote: Thanks guys, very useful and will be my next thing to try

Ahhhhh see the related threads now Sleeprider, will peruse them now.

Rob

Appears you got into the proper thread for some information.  As you can see Nape 86'd the Dr.Dakota and I unexpectedly adopted the ReLeaf.  Everyone is different so it is not a 'given' for everyone.  The ReLeaf really surprised me as it is softer than I have used before.  I still think more rigid actually works better for me but the downside is the standard c-collars are plain HOT to wear and have a cotton sock on them (sweat/oil sponges).  In contrast the ReLeaf is a lycra-spandex material and the velcro fastener is well designed.  They appear to be a Cadillac as compared to a Yugo.  ReLeaf is MUCH cooler than conventional C-collars but gives me enough support to produce positive results most of the time.  I had a couple really hot nights that I refused to wear anything but my events/ AHI count went up (as I expected).  Last night was cooler so I comfortably wore the ReLeaf and the events were (predictably) markedly improved.

If interested I have a 15 3/4 neck and the Caldera Releaf Neck Rest, Large (from the big A) fits perfectly.  I can leave it a bit loose for a little less heat retention or tighten it for maximum support within the velcro fasteners range.

I personally have become a c-collar junkie and wear one when the weather permits.  It is always ON me in the cooler weather.  The results on my SleepyHead charts are predictable/ better with one and worse without one.  Proven many times!  Fact is that I had to learn about collars here, neither the Sleep Doctor or the DME never mentioned them. DUUH!

Hope this helps you Rob
Post Reply Post Reply
Zorro - many thanks for the info, still unclear if a collar is going to work for a front sleeper as its the space between shoulder and chin not neck and chin I guess I'm trying to fill.

Yes, once I understood the 'linked subjects' it was awesome - an hour or two of great learning

Rob
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info all, I am two nights in wearing a cervical collar, went for this one from Amazon and pleased to say it works great !
Commercial Link Removed.  Instead search Amazon for: NINE MAX Foam Cervical Collar Neck Support Brace Adjustable Soft Wraps.

Will try some of the others suggested later

Rob

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
The OTC collar on Amazon comes in three heights and a range of neck sizes. There is a sizing chart which I didn't see with others I looked at. Whoops! Missed the last post. Glad you found one you like.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
it's funny, if understandable, how many of us (like me) are reluctant to try the collar, finally do, and find out it does the job. even for my lip flutter and your front sleeping. progress!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good cervical collar for large (20 inch) necks Fox66 2 73 04-21-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Fox66
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 7 584 04-11-2024, 09:48 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 345 03-27-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 666 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 493 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 397 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 595 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.