Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Soft Cervical Collar for mouth breathing
Soft Cervical Collar for mouth breathing
I have recently gone back to using my older Mirage Activa nasal mask instead of my F20 full face mask.  Unfortunately I found that my mouth breathing was now even more serious than it was before I had made the initial switch to the F20 two years ago.  I Have tried a couple of chin straps but these ended up with actually worse outcomes than the Activa alone. So I decided to try out a soft cervical collar which I have seen recommended by some other members of this group.  In fact it has worked very well and even with the mask worn pretty loosely has reduced my leaks to an acceptable level.

I am left wondering was these collars are not more generally recommended to deal with mouth leaks.  While I have found a few people on this Board recommending their use, these collars are mainly discussed as a relief from positional apnea.  And while all CPAP equipment shops sell a range of chin straps I have found done which offer cervical collars. (Mine came directly from a medical aids store).

Am I missing something?  Is their some counter indication why these are not more widely recommended? Long term issues?  Or just that word about their value just hasn't got out yet,
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Soft Cervical Collar for mouth breathing
You need the right collar. I sleep on my back with a pillows mask. I have tried many different collars and if you get one high enough to support your chin, you should have no trouble with leaks. I routinely get  zero leaks and zero AHI. Coreflex collars come in different sizes and I think that is key to mouth leaks.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Gee Elliot, you missed my riff on how collars support the jaw and stop leaks?
Loved the journey down the Yellow Brick Road by Rcgop!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wore a neck collar for some time.  It helped with my AHI but did not help with mouth leaks.  I now tape my mouth every night.  It works much better and is way more comfortable for me than the neck collar was.  I got a special pillow that I was able to sew something to that takes care of the chin drop issue.  So now, with my special pillow and the Medvance mouth tape, I am quite happy.  Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2022, 09:16 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Gee Elliot, you missed my riff on how collars support the jaw and stop leaks?  
Loved the journey down the Yellow Brick Road by Rcgop!

Hi Sleeprider.  Actually I think I first got the idea of the cervical collar from reading something you wrote! I don't think the one I got at that time did the trick.  But the one I have now does seem to be helping.

Elliot
Post Reply Post Reply
@Deborah, could you tell me more about your pillow? I'm having trouble using a soft cervical collar - the compression at the back of my neck is causing tingling in my hands hours after I wake up Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
Since pillows are mentioned, I will add my 2 cents. I use a buckwheat pillow which is very adjustable. Both in support and shape. As I mentioned, I sleep on my back (which is not good for obstructive apnea). I can push the buckwheat under my neck for support and away from my head to “make a hole”. This holds my head back for an open airway. My collar has a 3 1/2 inch rise which is enough to keep my jaw closed but not my lips. Coreflex makes a 4 1/2 inch rise but that is a bit too much. I believe it is a combination of things that work and everyone has to figure out what works for them.

Did I mention, my OA index by itself is near zero. I may have other issues but I still get a good night sleep.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not need or use a soft cervical collar. My pillow is a very flexible down with medium loft, and when I need some help supporting my jaw to prevent leaks, I will pull a corner of the pillow over my shoulder, under the jaw and it seems to help. I have more trouble with hotel stays where the pillows tend to be firm and square, so it's hard to subdue them into manageable lumps.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since pillows are mentioned, I will add my 2 cents. I use a buckwheat pillow which is very adjustable. Both in support and shape. As I mentioned, I sleep on my back (which is not good for obstructive apnea). I can push the buckwheat under my neck for support and away from my head to “make a hole”. This holds my head back for an open airway. My collar has a 3 1/2 inch rise which is enough to keep my jaw closed but not my lips. Coreflex makes a 4 1/2 inch rise but that is a bit too much. I believe it is a combination of things that work and everyone has to figure out what works for them.

Did I mention, my OA index by itself is near zero. I may have other issues but I still get a good night sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a buckwheat neck, pillow also.  Sleep on my side, bunch up the Bucky, stick it under my chin.  Holds it there, have few leaks and good numbers with the P10.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,173 11 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 39 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 383 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 226 03-27-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 318 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 241 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.