Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Soft Cervical Collar for mouth breathing
RE: Soft Cervical Collar for mouth breathing
(03-08-2022, 10:55 PM)Deborah K. Wrote: I wore a neck collar for some time.  It helped with my AHI but did not help with mouth leaks.  I now tape my mouth every night.  It works much better and is way more comfortable for me than the neck collar was.  I got a special pillow that I was able to sew something to that takes care of the chin drop issue.  So now, with my special pillow and the Medvance mouth tape, I am quite happy.  Smile

I would love to know more about your special pillow and addition instead of the collar.  I love my cervical collar but it might be causing some skin irritation issues and I have been trying to figure out an alternative for quite awhile now. Came up with nothing so far.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to comment here.  If the collar is causing "tingling" in your hands I would get rid of the collar immediately.  There is risk/reward to just about everything.  The collar could be putting too much pressure on some vertebrae in your neck and irritating it enough to cause the tingling in your hands.  The nerves for the hands originate around neck level.  Hopefully you can find a safer solution.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
PurpleOx - Jay51's post above has me wondering just how tight are you are setting the SSC?   It is not supposed to be at its normal therapeutic tension.  
If uncertain, please read this Wiki article about their fit and use:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...it_and_Use
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the concern, Jay51 and Red.

The cervical collar is quite small (2.5 inches) and I put it very loose around my neck. When I'm sitting up, it dangles pretty loosely and moves around. I could fit my whole hand under there. But when I lie down, the collar stand straight up and gently pushes against my jaw without pressing against my chest. It's the pressure of the memory foam material against the back of my neck rather than around-the throat compression that is problematic. I tried wrapping a towel around the collar and using it as a neck pillow but came across the same issue. I don't think collars are the solution for me.

As a side note, I used the Releaf travel neck pillow (3.5 to 4") before this 2" collar and it was too tall when I laid down. The pain the next day was excruciating to say the least. All over body pain plus headaches. 

I'm trying chin straps now (the HUGE bandage-looking ones, not the strappy kind) and it seems to be working pretty well without side effects. Hope is not lost.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,171 8 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 38 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 383 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 226 03-27-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 318 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 235 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.