Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Soft Popping Sounds
Soft Popping Sounds
My nasal mask now makes a very annoying sound like the popping of Rice Crispies, and the sound will not go away by adjusting the mask to diminish leaks, etc. I also have very small droplets of water inside the plastic part of the mask, and suspect that the sound is related to the presence of the water droplets. The humidity setting is on "1," and heat is on the lowest setting also. Any suggestions as to a remedy?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Soft Popping Sounds
If water is in the mask, it is from your own breath or from the humidifier. It happens this time of year. You could try making a cover for the mask's hose. The noise is the water popping (or trying to pop) out the vent holes. Do you use nasal pillows? This is a big problem for pillows since there's less room for the moisture to gather. I solved it by sleeping under the covers. LOL Else I'd wake up with dreams I was on a whale watch and wake up to discover I was the whale!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
It generally referred to as "Rain Out." In cooler weather water condenses in the hose. If you have a heated hose or you machine is compatible turn the temperature up. I use pillows. On my S9 I run it about 75 degrees in the winter. If you don't have the heated hose option, get one of the cloth covers for the hose.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
Warm up the bedroom a few degrees if possible. If not, you can use a heated hose. Even then it sometimes takes a mask cozy also.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi CalBear,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try a hose wrap to see if it helps, and if you have a hose with the mask you are using, they make wraps for them as well.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
A heated hose won't help if the condensation is in the mask. Especially if the OP has nasal pillows. The heated hose heats the main hose and does nothing for the mask hose and the mask itself. If the room is cold, the condensation is going to form unless the mask's hose is somehow kept warm, too.

Which is why I started sleeping under the covers. It is darker under there, too.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
You just like sleeping under the covers! Laugh-a-lot

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey P02, are you worried sleeping under the covers doesn't allow for the mask to vent? Just wonder as I also like it under the covers but have read mixed opinions.

BTW- If you had a P10 you'd be happier Dielaughing
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
The P10 and its lack of a swivel made it harder to sleep under the covers, actually.

And no, unless you are zipping yourself up inside a ziploc sleeping bag, sleeping under the covers isn't dangerous. Well, unless you also sleep under there with a farting Rottweiler. Did that once. About died. The smell got through the mask and everything.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2014, 02:10 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The P10 and its lack of a swivel made it harder to sleep under the covers, actually.

And no, unless you are zipping yourself up inside a ziploc sleeping bag, sleeping under the covers isn't dangerous. Well, unless you also sleep under there with a farting Rottweiler. Did that once. About died. The smell got through the mask and everything.

PMSL

Where's the like button on here!!Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 552 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 3 362 02-10-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: eok361
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 536 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Looking to buy Alaxo 6 inch stent (soft palate stent) tmoneyman35 4 759 01-24-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Soft Cervical Collar and Heat Retention Columbiabill 3 374 01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  The Miracle of the Soft Cervical Collar spudhorse 16 1,168 12-04-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Three days using Soft Cervical Collar, AHI 6.73, 4.81, 22.28; makes sense? Aldiorg 9 906 11-15-2023, 12:47 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.