Ghost1958 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PRS1 Series Sixty Auto Aflex
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson
Humidifier: PRS1 with Heated Hose
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 min 16 max
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Moderate to Severe SA Obstructive. Rapid O2 desat off the machine.

Sex: Male

RE: Soft Popping Sounds
If you have the heated hose on the PRS1 it has a sensor in the end of the hose at the mask end that measures the humidity to the mask, or that short stretch of nasal pillow hose.

Ive run the PRS1 mode, wide open at 5, heated hose off, on my PRS1 Auto Aflex with a bedroom temp down into the 50s when the fire dies down at night with no moisture in the hose or mask.

With the heated hose on setting of 3 humidity and 1 hose temp no moisture either.

Im betting the moisture is coming from you, not the machine.
11-18-2014 11:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Moisture from breath (which is my original theory) is far too easy to happen in nasal pillows, if that is what the OP is using. Especially in a cold room.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
11-18-2014 11:30 AM
CalBear Offline

New Members

Machine: Phillips Respironics Sys 1
Mask Make & Model: unsure
Humidifier: Unsure
CPAP Pressure: 9
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

Thanks for all the advice and comments. I'm 6'3", too tall to pull covers up over head without untucking them at feet. I've tried to keep the hose under the covers, and that works but leads to wrestling with the hose when rolling over. I'm also using a space heater in the bedroom to keep it from getting too cold. I suspect the best remedy is to get a heated hose, but Apria seems opposed to that and I suspect I'll have to get my doctor to tell them I must have the heated hose. I don't have nasal pillows. I've had rainout problems before, and Apria's response was limited to help with changing settings on the machine -- not a word about heated hoses as a remedy from Apria.
11-18-2014 02:55 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Galactus Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Phillips Respironics System One PRS1 DS760P Auto BiPAP
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
Humidifier: System One Heated Humidifier + Climate Line
CPAP Pressure: E/I 13/20 PS 4/7 BiFlex 3

Other Comments: Sleep can be a good thing.

(11-18-2014 02:10 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  The P10 and its lack of a swivel made it harder to sleep under the covers, actually.

I do agree with that especially if you sleep on your back. When I sleep on my side it's about the same.

(11-18-2014 02:10 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  And no, unless you are zipping yourself up inside a ziploc sleeping bag, sleeping under the covers isn't dangerous.

That sounds like a body bag, in which case I'm not going to worry about sleeping lol.

(11-18-2014 02:10 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  Well, unless you also sleep under there with a farting Rottweiler. Did that once. About died. The smell got through the mask and everything.

Now there you go, textbook description of a TMI or over share lmao Big Grin

If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
11-18-2014 06:17 PM
Ghost1958 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PRS1 Series Sixty Auto Aflex
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson
Humidifier: PRS1 with Heated Hose
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 min 16 max

Other Comments: Moderate to Severe SA Obstructive. Rapid O2 desat off the machine.

I guess im sorta stumped on this. Right at this moment my wife is and has been for a good while now running a PRS1 550 without heated hose in the PRS1 humidity mode at setting of 5 which is the highest humidity setting. We have a cold bed room. Ive run my machine in the same mode on 5 with the heated hose turned off.

Absolutely no problems with rainout or anything close to it. Kind puzzles me when I see folks running those machines having rain out trouble unless they are somehow switched into classic mode then yeah youll get rainout.
11-19-2014 01:15 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(11-19-2014 01:15 AM)Ghost1958 Wrote:  I guess im sorta stumped on this. Right at this moment my wife is and has been for a good while now running a PRS1 550 without heated hose in the PRS1 humidity mode at setting of 5 which is the highest humidity setting. We have a cold bed room. Ive run my machine in the same mode on 5 with the heated hose turned off.

Absolutely no problems with rainout or anything close to it. Kind puzzles me when I see folks running those machines having rain out trouble unless they are somehow switched into classic mode then yeah youll get rainout.

Puzzles me too. I have had quite a bit of problem with rainout until I got good hose covers and started pulling any excess hose under the covers with me. I have the heated hose now and no longer have any problems.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
11-19-2014 12:01 PM
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(11-18-2014 02:55 PM)CalBear Wrote:  Thanks for all the advice and comments. I'm 6'3", too tall to pull covers up over head without untucking them at feet. I've tried to keep the hose under the covers, and that works but leads to wrestling with the hose when rolling over. I'm also using a space heater in the bedroom to keep it from getting too cold. I suspect the best remedy is to get a heated hose, but Apria seems opposed to that and I suspect I'll have to get my doctor to tell them I must have the heated hose. I don't have nasal pillows. I've had rainout problems before, and Apria's response was limited to help with changing settings on the machine -- not a word about heated hoses as a remedy from Apria.

When I got my new machine, I asked Apria for a heated hose. They claimed that I had to have a prescription from my physician. At the time, I was tired of messing with them and just spent the $40 online to get the heated hose. I imagine that they lose money or make less on the heated hose. Isn't Apria fun?
11-19-2014 12:06 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Soft cervical collar: a tip for mouth breathing and chin tucking Visitor 44 3,742 12-06-2016 11:43 AM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Blockage during exhale - Uvula/Soft Palate mikemky 27 18,917 10-26-2016 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 10 Autoset Comfort/Response/Soft = "For Her" algorithm? Carbon 11 1,709 07-18-2016 10:30 AM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
Question wrong time in apnea bord soft natyprueba 2 265 07-15-2016 12:13 PM
Last Post: natyprueba
Question [Equipment] Resmed-AirSense 10: Where to set the Autoset-reaction "SOFT"? Ferdinand 1 617 04-03-2016 10:58 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  PRS1 sponge filter popping out. The cause and the fix. Ghost1958 27 4,297 01-30-2016 03:10 PM
Last Post: GPSMapNut
  Sounds like steaming water... PositiveMe123 10 2,797 09-04-2015 10:53 PM
Last Post: PositiveMe123