Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Soft cervical collar: a tip for mouth breathing and chin tucking
RE: Soft cervical collar: a tip for mouth breathing and chin tucking
(03-20-2016, 03:35 AM)holden4th Wrote: The problem with taping your mouth shut is if you vomit while asleep you have a life threatening problem. I feel that this system would also be an issue.

That said, what happens if you vomit into a FFM?

You get major leaks!!! Big Grin Big Grin

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2016, 01:00 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(03-20-2016, 03:35 AM)holden4th Wrote: The problem with taping your mouth shut is if you vomit while asleep you have a life threatening problem. I feel that this system would also be an issue.

That said, what happens if you vomit into a FFM?

You get major leaks!!! Big Grin Big Grin
Dielaughing

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2016, 12:01 AM)surferdude2 Wrote: I tried the cervical collar but it didn't work to stop my mouth leaking air when using nasal pillows. I had to use a wide chin strap in a different application than normal to finally overcome the mouth leakage. All other methods have failed. This wide strap work very well and is much safer than taping the mouth shut.

The 3" wide chin strap was purchased on Amazon for around 10 bucks and when applied in this manner will actually pass enough air through the tiny openings between the fabric/elastic to prevent suffocation.

When putting it on, if you keep your lips sealed together, it will prevent mouth blowout without any further effort. I've tested it to 20 cm h2O with no leaks.

It seems safe enough since you can break the seal by forcefully parting your lips and breathing through the fabric or else forcefully lowering your chin and it slides off the mouth altogether. The headgear on my nasal pillows mask allows for easy chin movement since the strap going below the chin isn't holding the chin up but only for keeping the mask in place.

I think it is much safer than taping the mouth shut and much more effective than the regular application of a chin strap. It's the only thing that works for me and makes me able to use the nasal pillows mask with its inherent lower therapy pressure. At last I can sleep in the supine position and make it all night long without having to flip from one side to the other due to hip or shoulder pain.

I will say it is actually more comfortable than it may seem from the picture. The tiny air holes in the fabric keep it from being too uncomfortably hot.

[Image: Z692z5O.jpg]

Surferdude2, thanks so much for this tip! Still working it out, but seems to work for me. So glad to have an alternative to mouth taping.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BKeeper!

Glad you liked it. Here is another configuration that works equally well and may be useful to those who have a problem with the other method slipping out of position. With this method, the strap runs to the top rear of my head, much the same as the headgear on the mask. I find it works better this way since it discourages jaw dropping better while sealing the lips as well as the other method. Dual purpose position I call it. Shy Just keep it a reasonable distance away from the nose so it doesn't distort the nasal openings and ruin the pillow's seal.

[Image: r8CF6qQ.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW, I got tired of fighting the Velcro fastening method so once I determined the correct length, I cut the strap to size and sewed it together. Much easier to manage now.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
Double post deleted.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey, dude, I like both new suggestions! I have tried many masks and strategies and this is the first that (so far) works other than taping. Seems my pressures are so high that I have difficulties with FFMs (with attendant even higher pressures for me). I was fortunate to have early partial success with the P-10 and have thus been encouraged to keep pursuing a solution. On point with this thread, my body wants to lip leak really badly and dude's suggestion is the first workable solution for me.
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
BKeeper,

I am glad that you have found some solutions. Just for your information, your pressures are not too high for FFMs. Maybe for some but my Mirage Quattro works fine at 20 cm/H2O and even at 21. The only exception is when the plug for the oxygen connector comes out like it did the other night. Big Grin

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PaytonA, so far, a year in, I haven't found a FFM which doesn't either leak excessively, or distort the bridge of my nose, or cause my vision to be a bit blurry (I've got glaucoma - don't know if related, but don't want to tempt fate), or in one case, push my jaw back excessively. I have not tried the Mirage Quattro. I have gone as high as 18 pressure and still not pulled AHI under 5 nor given me restful sleep. Have used liners, tape and Gecko gel pad, all manner of chin straps. I believe you, but I have not found the combo that works for me on FFM yet. Had I not had success with P-10 and tape, don't know that I would have continued trying. I know tape is not recommended and potentially quite dangerous so I am not advocating it.

That said, I am glad that the Mirage Quattro works for you and would be curious of any other combos that work for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2016, 11:56 AM)BKeeper Wrote: Hi PaytonA, so far, a year in, I haven't found a FFM which doesn't either leak excessively, or distort the bridge of my nose, or cause my vision to be a bit blurry (I've got glaucoma - don't know if related, but don't want to tempt fate), or in one case, push my jaw back excessively. I have not tried the Mirage Quattro. I have gone as high as 18 pressure and still not pulled AHI under 5 nor given me restful sleep. Have used liners, tape and Gecko gel pad, all manner of chin straps. I believe you, but I have not found the combo that works for me on FFM yet. Had I not had success with P-10 and tape, don't know that I would have continued trying. I know tape is not recommended and potentially quite dangerous so I am not advocating it.

That said, I am glad that the Mirage Quattro works for you and would be curious of any other combos that work for you.

I am not trying to talk you into a full face mask. I think that everyone needs to use what works best for them.

I do use a chin strap with the Mirage Quattro. I use it to reduce dry mouth not to ensure that my treatment is effective. My IPAP goes from 18.6 to 21 in auto mode. My leak rates are as follows in ResScan:

median=0
95%=0
max=0
and they are like this 90% of the time.

Another mask that has worked out fairly well for me is the Simplus. I use it with a chin strap for the same reason. I have to fiddle with the Simplus more to keep it from leaking air into my eyes which can wake me up.

I have never had any problem with any skin irritation so I am not much help there and one of the most frequent complaints that I have heard concerning the Mirage Quattro is irritation on the nasal bridge.

Good Luck!

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 43 1,048 4 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 353 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 214 Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 308 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 794 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.