Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Soft cervical collar: a tip for mouth breathing and chin tucking
RE: Soft cervical collar: a tip for mouth breathing and chin tucking
My Mirage Quattro hasn't acted up much since I put a shirt on it! Actually a piece cut from an old tee-shirt. It protects the nose from damage and diffuses any leaks around the eyes into oblivion.

I still prefer the Optilife nasal pillows mask but can't always use it due to nasal congestion. It's very light and friendly and the price is another attraction, less than $60.

[Image: 20iz40n.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
PaytonA and dude, thanks for feedback.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2016, 03:27 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Another mask that has worked out fairly well for me is the Simplus. I use it with a chin strap for the same reason.

I too use a chin strap with my Simplus. It pretty much solved my dry mouth issues.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried a chinstrap with my Cpap machine and ended up with the worst TMJ problem I have ever had.

I am interested in using a soft cervical collar, but I have a couple of questions for this forum:

1) can it be used long-term without adverse reactions?
2) is it suitable for side-sleepers?

I do wake up with dry mouth every so often (but I am told my numbers are good, so I'm not worried), but I would like to try something besides a full-face mask, which really didn't work for me (it kept shifting when I would sleep and wake me up). I have tried sleeping with a pillow tucked under my chin, which works until I kick the pillow out of bed, so I think the collar could be the solution for me. Again, I just worry about long-term issues.

Thanks for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
My soft cervical collar works fine for side sleeping but I can not comment on long term effects. Have not used it that much yet.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried a soft cervical collar last night.  I actually bought two different ones.  They are made of the same material but one is thicker and stiffer than the other.  I used the less stiff one.

I use the Oracle mask and I have had two problems.  1. When I sleep on my back my jaw drops and my tongue partially obstructs my oral airway making the mask less effective. So I usually sleep on my side. 2. My neck abducts causing my chin to tuck towards my chest.  This also tends of kink my airway.

The cervical collar seems to do two things. 1. It keeps my lower jaw gently closed unlike a chin strap that, under tension, causes my teeth to clench during the night and biting down on my Oracle mask.  This has even damaged the mask, my teeth cracking the mouth piece. 2. The collar keeps my chin from dunking against my chest.  This keeps my airway open.  Try this little exercise to see what I mean.  Take some rapid quick breaths through your nose with your mouth shut while looking straight ahead.  Continue with the breaths but tuck your chin gently down on your chest.  Return to forward, then again to the chin tuck. Depending on your anatomy you may notice that it is slightly harder to inhale with your chin tucked. The collar will prevent the chin tuck and make breathing while asleep easier. I am going to try napping using just the collar.  I think it will keep my airway open enough to prevent gagging.

Two bad points. 1. Wearing the collar is not uncomfortable, but it does feel different.  So I think it will take some time to get used to it.  2. It could make my neck hot.  But only time will tell.  I’ll let you know how things go.  But for $10 for the collar, what do I have to loose.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've worn a soft cervical collar for almost a year--no bad effects. I've lowered my leak rate to nearly a flat line on SH using a Wisp nasal mask sleeping mostly on my side. I don't wear it tight--doing so would really be uncomfortable if it hits your Adams Apple. I didn't get along well with any of the 3 chin straps I tried. I've gotten used to the collar but it does make your neck a little warm--feels good to get it off in the morning. I'm sold on it!
Post Reply Post Reply
I've only worn one for about three months now.  I have a long, long history of neck and back problems.  Wearing the collar has has no effect on that and I can't think of anything else that might make long term use unsafe.  You could always ask your doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got a $10 soft cervical collar from amazon and tried it for the first time last night. It was quite comfortable. I didn't even notice it after the first few minutes. May max flow limitation was the lowest it's been and I had no major leaks due to my jaw dropping to the point that lower seal of the F20 mask was at my lower lip. Although it kept my jaw from dropping it could move and didn't feel at all constrained.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2017, 01:13 PM)paperboy Wrote: 3/27/17 I tried a soft cervical collar last night.  I actually bought two different ones.  They are made of the same material but one is thicker and stiffer than the other.  I used the less stiff one.

I use the Oracle mask and I have had two problems.  1. When I sleep on my back my jaw drops and my tongue partially obstructs my oral airway making the mask less effective. So I usually sleep on my side. 2. My neck abducts causing my chin to tuck towards my chest.  This also tends of kink my airway.

The cervical collar seems to do two things. 1. It keeps my lower jaw gently closed unlike a chin strap that, under tension, causes my teeth to clench during the night and biting down on my Oracle mask.  This has even damaged the mask, my teeth cracking the mouth piece. 2. The collar keeps my chin from dunking against my chest.  This keeps my airway open.  Try this little exercise to see what I mean.  Take some rapid quick breaths through your nose with your mouth shut while looking straight ahead.  Continue with the breaths but tuck your chin gently down on your chest.  Return to forward, then again to the chin tuck. Depending on your anatomy you may notice that it is slightly harder to inhale with your chin tucked. The collar will prevent the chin tuck and make breathing while asleep easier. I am going to try napping using just the collar.  I think it will keep my airway open enough to prevent gagging.

Two bad points. 1. Wearing the collar is not uncomfortable, but it does feel different.  So I think it will take some time to get used to it.  2. It could make my neck hot.  But only time will tell.  I’ll let you know how things go.  But for $10 for the collar, what do I have to loose.

3/28/17 Night two of the cervical collar.  I was surprised that I seemed to adapt to it easily on just the second night.  It was not hot, probably because I wear it fairly loosely.  I was able to sleep more on my back, probably because my jaw did not drop and my airway was wide open.  I am usually quite restless when I sleep, rolling from side to side frequently during the night, probably because of apnea episodes I am not aware of when I am sleeping.  But last night I slept very soundly with very little body rolling.

So far, I am pleased with the results.  Whether it will work for you, I have no idea.  But it is a cheap device that might help you, especially if you are a jaw dropper and your tongue collapses into the back of your mouth.

I'll update you next week.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,103 2 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 29 4 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 367 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 219 Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,077 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.