Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Software options?
RE: Software options?
Ahh the ever quickening pace of the march of progress. Nostalgia just aint what it used to be.

I have never looked at Linux, how deeply over my head will I be attempting to install that 32bit Linux on my XP machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sure someone may be willing to offer Linux swimming lessons. I would but I've not touched Ubuntu or others since college in 2012, and all that was learned fell out in these past 8 years. I wouldn't even be a good Linux lifeguard.

Coffee

BTW on tubes heating...when I was a high school senior, I had a European tube AM/FM console by Telefunken, at least that's what I recall. It looked something like this image.

[Image: hlp9p27.png]
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are more flavors of Linux than Baskin-Robbins has of ice cream.  Everybody has their favorite.

Here are some that are based on Debian and have a 32bit offering:
  • Linux Mint Mate
  • Linux Mint Xfce
  • Lubuntu
  • Zorin OS

You can go to DistroWatch to get a better understanding of each one and see others.  
https://distrowatch.com/
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2020, 05:07 PM)DarrylM Wrote: Ahh the ever quickening pace of the march of progress.  Nostalgia just aint what it used to be.

I have never looked at Linux, how deeply over my head will I be attempting to install that 32bit Linux on my XP machine?

Hi Darryl,
Several years ago, I migrated from Windows 7 to Linux, as my Win 7 notebook had died, and I only have a few Windows programs I need.  I chose Linux Mint w/ Cinnamon desktop, as it has great configurability, and things like keyboard shortcuts are maintained.  This is a pretty easy migration for most Windows people.  For Office software it has LibreOffice, which can read and write Microsoft document formats.  The primary browser is Firefox, and a myriad of other software is available in the Software Manager.  I'll be happy to answer any question I can.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
I lack so muck geek cred it's like the elder Dyck trying to navigate the social complexities of modern Letterkenny. But, I'll go take a look.
Post Reply Post Reply
I forgot to mention that since you are on hardware that was available during XP's heyday, the versions I listed are aimed at a lower horsepower computers.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I might mention that the Debian distribution itself supports using either the LXDE or XFCE lightweight desktops. I use it in both my ancient 32 bit x86 laptops.

I'm not sure how one chooses from all these options, to be honest.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2020, 06:43 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: I forgot to mention that since you are on hardware that was available during XP's heyday, the versions I listed are aimed at a lower horsepower computers.

Oh, good.

My pc at least pre-dates the awful laptop in a tower systems that became de rigeur for the black friday special budget pc.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  problem downloading OSCAR SOFTWARE Bailey104 1 88 03-15-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  NOTICE: ResScan 7.1 Software now available [for ResMed machines only] SuperSleeper 0 430 02-26-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Software support for the Astral 150? Peashee888 10 621 02-18-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  Software/app for Lowenstein Prisma SmartPlus w/o NHS knowing Ploppy 3 1,007 12-21-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Ploppy
  PC Software RchiAiki 13 1,186 12-20-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Need urgent Software for Yuwell YH-580 WilliamVasquez 12 4,101 12-19-2023, 01:08 AM
Last Post: VankoGo
  OSCAR advanced viewing options dfunk 2 459 12-11-2023, 05:53 PM
Last Post: dfunk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.