Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: LT swift for her
Humidifier: Respironics, I guess
CPAP Pressure: 9-14
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
Solar panels for electricity
Anyone have these, do you save on cost of electric bill? Is it worth it? My roof needs repair and the contractor suggested it. My electric co says some savings but a lease fee would replace savings. some save some not so much. Hummmmmmmm
08-30-2012 07:00 PM
Find all posts by this user

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Online

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

RE: Solar panels for electricity
Hi Sleeping Beauty Turquoise, If you haven't tried this yet,you could put the words "Alternative Power" or "solar energy" into a search engine and you'll probably come up with lots of things. Best of luck.

trish6hundred
08-30-2012 07:24 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Sex: Male

I think its waste of money considering the costs of solar panels.. if it ain't broke, don't fix it
Its all spin when when its promoted as a clean energy. It generate more carbon emissions manufacturing and shipping the panels from China
Probably you would get more saving using patio lights at night indoors to light up living areas
08-30-2012 07:32 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Pretty sure the break-even point for purchasing a complete solar panel system that is large enough to power your entire house is about 7 years. You're losing money up to that point, in other words. Upfront costs are high. You'll need the panels, the charge controller, an inverter system and a large investment in deep cycle batteries.

The nice thing about solar is that you can have power when/if the local grid goes down.

I have a cheap 12-volt solar panel system (3 kits) that I purchased from Harbor Freight (on sale for $149 each). Each kit comes with 3 15-watt panels (45 watts per kit), a charge controller and two florescent 5-watt, 12-volt bulbs and a system for charging other small appliances like cell phones, laptops, etc. I had to purchase two Trojan deep cycle golf cart batteries for the electrical storage. I use my system for basic lighting, charging my deep cycle batteries that will, in turn, power my CPAP machine, ham radio and a few lights in the house for about 5-6 hours each night.

But my little system cannot power anything that has a larger amperage draw, like an electric stove, refrigerator, freezer, microwave oven, etc. I'd have to invest $20,000 at a minimum to get that type of system. I probably have less than $1000 in my current solar system - it's mostly a hobby and for backup needs (not everyday needs).

There are companies that will come out and put panels on your roof for little or no cost, and tie them into the grid, via a meter. You pay reduced electrical rates and they make money on the excess electricity that is sold back to the electric company. You have to sign a contract, of course. Many of these companies are doing this by taking advantage of state rebates and other government incentives for solar energy... it all depends upon your state's program for that type of thing.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

08-30-2012 07:47 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

The bigger the set-up, the greater the benefit. Yet, the bigger the cost.

Too small a set-up and it is a waste of money.

There's a reason facilities have entire vast fields of solar panels (solar farms) - current technology just hasn't gotten that balance between cost and efficiency.

Saw a tshirt in a catalog: When there's a solar energy spill, it's called a nice day.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-30-2012 08:15 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
mjbearit Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: REMstar Auto AFlex DS550
Mask Make & Model: RESMed Swift FX
Humidifier: Heated humidifier - 2
CPAP Pressure: 12.5-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

SBT, I too looked into the whole solar thing. Here in San Diego County we have some of the highest prices anywhere for our power (sunshine tax). The cost and time to break even just made it very prohibitive! So, what could we do instead? Over the past several years I have embarked on a campaign to see just how low I can get out bill without making major lifestyle changes. I put solar film on the big windows. BIG summertime difference! I changed all the lights inside and outside the house to compact fluorescent bulbs. Decent savings there. I even brought more light into the kitchen by replacing the 3 bulb incandescent fixture with a 4 foot fluorescent fixture. I added ceiling fans to every room in the house....except the bathrooms! I added a whole house fan to bring in cool night time air and blow the heat out of the attic. I have slowly but surely replaced almost all of our appliances and the only get replaced with energy star rated ones. The latest is that we are replacing all the window treatments with new thermal "blackout" curtains to help keep the heat or cold in or out or however you want to look at it. Our electric bill has gone from being consistently around $225-$250 to under $100 and on the 2 months a year we have to run the air conditioning, around $120. We did this over the space of several years (we are not made of money!) and if I have to guess I would say our investment is in the $2000-$2500 range and the break even point is like 20 months or something? In truth we broke even over and over since we took so long to finish everything. I still have a few small curtains to go, but we are about done. It is about 90 degrees outside right now, the a/c is on, but it is sitting here quiet as the grave and comes on about once an hour or so. Just a thought!

As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2012 11:33 AM by mjbearit.)
08-31-2012 11:30 AM
Schnauzers 5 Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Respironics Rem Star A Flex
Mask Make & Model: LT swift for her
Humidifier: Respironics, I guess
CPAP Pressure: 9-14

Other Comments:

mjbearit, thanks. I think you need a man to figure out all that you have done. So far, my best option is to have my sister come out Nov 1-jan15th or longer to share expenses and see if we can make it permanent. I have a front door light that is the CFL whatever, and one on back patio. No other outside lights and solar ones died a few yrs ago. The heat destroys the plastic. I am very conservative in indoor lights at night. Ceiling are CFL and usually not on in kitchen after dinner. I have energy saving fridge and I don't bake or use over. Stove and microwave but not much. A one person, several dog home. I have no gas lines in this neighborhood. I am doing best I can.
08-31-2012 06:18 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

The newer LED lights are a lot better than ones made only a year or two ago. We're slowing replacing our old incandescent and even the florescent lighting in our house with LED lights as the budget permits. They make the new LEDs with the Edison style standard screw-in connectors now. Just paid $9 for one LED bulb at Menards that puts out as much light as a 60-watt incandescent bulb, but only uses something like 7.5 watts, plus it has a bulb life of 20,000 hours.

LEDs are much more efficient than compact or other fluorescents and will last a heck of a lot longer, and you have no worry if they break due to toxic gases in the bulb.

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

08-31-2012 08:14 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

They also put out less heat, right?

I've been surprised how long it took them to start making LED-filled light bulbs.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

08-31-2012 09:28 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

(08-31-2012 09:28 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  They also put out less heat, right?

I've been surprised how long it took them to start making LED-filled light bulbs.

Yeah, less heat too. LEDs are really getting a lot better these days, more efficient, more light and lower in cost. And much of the early-on criticism that they put out a harsh white or bluish light is being corrected in these newer versions - the one I just bought... can't tell it's any different from the yellowish light that normally comes from an incandescent bulb.

IMHO they will come down closer to the cost of Compact Fluorescents within the next year or two and improve in light quality, efficiency and lifespan.

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

08-31-2012 09:58 PM
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Transcend solar plug Proprietary? cdhaeussler 0 203 03-17-2016 08:28 PM
Last Post: cdhaeussler
  Solar Eclipse zonk 5 1,871 11-14-2012 09:30 PM
Last Post: dcgrafix