Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: Remstar heated
CPAP Pressure: 10.0
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreViewer

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Solar panels for electricity
I wont ever put a cfl inside the house, any money saved on electric is offset by cost and the chance you take if you break one. They have mercury in them, and the cost to get a mercury spill cleaned is unreal. Plus you have the problem of disposal, you are not supposed to throw them out in your ordinary garbage. Plus, the light emitted, is even worse than a standard florescent bulb, very dim and the color is depressing.

As far as, LED's, they are getting better, but still not there. I don't have a problem with the light emitted. I have a problem with the life expectancy ratings, cause they will never last as long as stated. Considering the cost and the life will probably be closer to 10%-40% of stated, and they are cost prohibitive. LED's have always had a problem in their circuitry, never holding up. I work for a trucking company, and have seen (a lot) of brand new trailers (less than 6 months old) having to have LED lights replaced. All it takes is one small burnt spot in the circuitry and anywhere from 5% to 95% of the bulb quits working. Seen the same thing on cars, trailers, and P/U's. Some will say it's due to the vibrations in vehicles, but, most of my lighting is by ceiling fans, which vibrate more than a vehicle. I hope they can get the circuitry worked out and bring the cost down, otherwise, I will keep buying the old incandescent bulbs for as long as they make them.

As far as wind and solar energy, till they can find a way to reduce the cost of equipment needed, it will be a long time before it will be a worthwhile investment. We already see a lot of the companies, given grants for windmills has gone bankrupt. Without government grants and subsidies, and government incentives to get people to purchase them, wind energy will remain a distant dream!
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2012 12:08 PM by woodworkerjunkie.)
09-08-2012 12:07 PM
Find all posts by this user

Donate to Apnea Board
Schnauzers 5 Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Respironics Rem Star A Flex
Mask Make & Model: LT swift for her
Humidifier: Respironics, I guess
CPAP Pressure: 9-14
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
I hate cfls too but that seems to be all Lowes has these days. Eventually that will be all we can buy. This country has taken everything good away from us in so many ways. I am so old I remember my mother going to pay her tiny electric bill,and getting free bulb replacements. I need a time machine to go back ion time when things were better. Oh, yes there were too better!
09-17-2012 04:59 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

No, they weren't.

As a woman, you can vote. You can get your own bank account without a male relative's signature. You can get a driver's license. You can get a job other than secretary and nurse. It is legal for you to wear pants.

The internet gives you the chance to come here and get advice. In the 'good old days', you would have been diagnosed with hysteria and put in a home.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
09-17-2012 05:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkd59QFKq75ntUItjLhjj...QlbFOdEZJw]
09-17-2012 06:45 PM
ninefingers Offline

New Members

Machine: Resmed S9 Elite
Mask Make & Model: Philips TrueBlue Nasal
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15

Other Comments: Solar Owner, No PECO Bills since August 2010

I live in Chester County, PA,USA use PECO power from the street.
I had a 10-KWhr system installed August 2010, now I feed my energy production into the grid and PECO buys my power.
Since September 2010, I have not given any money to PECO, my account is 300 bucks fat and any fees are taken from my account and the average power I feed back into the grid (approximately 1000 KWhrs/month @ 50% of the rate PECO charges me) is added to my account to pay for the power I use when the SUN does not produce any watts in my yard,
I make power during the day, but if there is a PECO system power failure it goes NO-where and I don get paid. This sucks, sun is out I could make power but if PECO is OFF I am not allowed to produce any watts!!!

I will never pay down my system (60K dollars) due too age, but I have the satisfaction of not paying the power company(PECO)!Too-funny
11-17-2012 06:07 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Until recently, the cost of LEDs per lumen (light unit) vs. the cost of electricity vs. the lumens per watt for other options made them uneconomic for most usage.

Even now, they're a bit iffy.

Be careful, a lot of "60W replacement" LED lamps don't actually produce as much light as the "equivalent" regular light bulb.

There is also a "blue light hazard" and some concern about long term effect of the strong blue light content of the light the bulb produces on your health long term.

Compact fluorescent bulbs tick me off because our government decided to require the manufacturers to reduce the mercury content. As a result, they take several minutes to reach full brightness, and the lamps only last half as long. Typical government idiocy. Each light only has half the mercury, but since they last half as long, you dump just as much mercury into the environment, and twice the other waste and cost.

There's no need to do any special cleanup from a broken fluorescent bulb. Don't make a habit of breaking them indoors, and just sweep the remains up and throw them in the trash. Wash your hands afterwards. If you've especially worried, air the room out first.

There's some mercury in the environment anyway. A few broken fluorescent bulbs a year aren't going to change your total mercury exposure that much.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
11-21-2012 06:29 PM
Ugly Offline

Preferred Members

Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Micro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 7-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Hydrocephalus, myopia, depression, chronic ugliness, stupidity, tinnitus, mixed sleep apnea.

(08-31-2012 09:28 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  They also put out less heat, right?

I've been surprised how long it took them to start making LED-filled light bulbs.

For a while people were trying to get us gung ho on some newfangled lights that look like coils. I installed one in place of a real light bulb and after it sent sparks flying and quickly burning out we never did it again. Only real lights for us.
11-22-2012 05:06 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Ugly Offline

Preferred Members

Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Micro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 7-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Hydrocephalus, myopia, depression, chronic ugliness, stupidity, tinnitus, mixed sleep apnea.

(09-17-2012 05:30 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  No, they weren't.

As a woman, you can vote. You can get your own bank account without a male relative's signature. You can get a driver's license. You can get a job other than secretary and nurse. It is legal for you to wear pants.

The internet gives you the chance to come here and get advice. In the 'good old days', you would have been diagnosed with hysteria and put in a home.

Anti-male sentiment? It's legal to wear pants but as a guy if I walk down the street in drag chances are still good that I'd get arrested or beaten up. Equality is a farce but --- get it if you can.
I mean, hey, on occasion I still get harassed by cops if I'm walking around in public with MY OWN DAUGHTER. Equality. Don't make me laugh. Laugh-a-lot But again, get it if you can.
11-22-2012 05:11 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

I have no clue what you are talking about. If you are trying to get an argument from me, it won't work.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
11-22-2012 09:18 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Well, as threads do, this "off-topic" thread has gotten off the original topic of solar panels.... so apparently the discussion has finished it's course.

Thanks for all who participated.

THREAD CLOSED. Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

11-23-2012 07:28 PM
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Transcend solar plug Proprietary? cdhaeussler 0 204 03-17-2016 08:28 PM
Last Post: cdhaeussler
  Solar Eclipse zonk 5 1,874 11-14-2012 09:30 PM
Last Post: dcgrafix