Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Solution for air leakage around nose bothering eyes.
Solution for air leakage around nose bothering eyes.
It is my understanding that all masks do leak a little around the nose. This often bothers the eyes, but I have a solution that works for me. I like to leave a light on when I sleep in case I need to get up when it's dark, so I don't blunder into things, but my brain prefers that I have darkness for sleeping. Shortly before I got my current CPAP system I had taken to using wide headbands as eye shades when sleeping. They work well as eye shades, but I found that they also help protect my eyes from the tiny bit of leakage around the nose area of the mask.

Approx 12 years ago I tried using a CPAP system, but it didn't work for me at that time, as there was one basic full face mask style, in several different brands, and it wouldn't maintain a seal, so I was getting even less sleep with the system, than I got without it, so I stopped using it. It was that sort of triangle shape that most full face masks come in. About a year ago I had another sleep study, and my sleep apnea had gotten worse, so I was again prescribed a CPAP system. This time there were other models of full face masks to choose from, and the technician set me up with the Amara View, which does hold a seal well for me, so I have been able to keep using the current system. The old mask leaked around the nose too, and that bothered my eyes, but I didn't use the system long enough that time to make an issue of it. Fortunately, I don't have to suffer from it with the new mask, even though that one leaks a tiny bit around the nose, because the wide headband eye shade works very well.

If air leaks are bothering your eyes, give a wide headband eye shade a try. They are cheap and easy to get, if you don't already have any. like  Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Solution for air leakage around nose bothering eyes.
I'm a full face mask user and if it leaks around my eyes I consider that a poor fit. I don't think it's reasonable to expect leakage on any part of the mask other than the vent. I understand that every face is unique, but my goal is zero leaks.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi AlwaysTired2018,
Thanks for the tip. A good idea as long as it is comfortable.

You can also try using a mask liner, which some of the online suppliers sell.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2018, 09:15 PM)AlwaysTired2018 Wrote: I like to leave a light on when I sleep in case I need to get up when it's dark, so I don't blunder into things, but my brain prefers that I have darkness for sleeping. Shortly before I got my current CPAP system I had taken to using wide headbands as eye shades when sleeping.

I guess it's a good thing you didn't buy the clap on, clap off light switch. Too-funny
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eyes Duncansleeps 17 2,164 Yesterday, 06:56 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Dripping Nose Lesley19 3 110 04-10-2024, 01:50 AM
Last Post: Lesley19
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 178 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,909 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 142 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 285 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 7,260 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.