Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Solution for the AirMini Travel Noise
RE: Solution for the AirMini Travel Noise
Q-Tube Muffler, you need to buy, I purchased mine on amazon.  The rest of the attachments you need to 3D print.  If you can't print it yourself, then find a friend, visit your hackerspace or order from a company that will print you 3D things online.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Jim for taking the time to contribute so much useful information on this issue.

I have recently lost patience with noise from my humidex.  So I resolved to make my Airmini universally compatible with any accessory on the market, like mufflers etc..  I really like your 3D printer solutions, however I have yet to rise to that state of technology, so I purchased a polycarbonate 1/2 inch (50 mm) adapter from the neighborhood hardware plumbing store (80cents).  I then chopped off the offending humidex end of the proprietary Airmini hose and used the adapter to connect that hose to the chopped-off end of a standard Resmed slimline hose.  I can now connect my Airmini to any 22mm accessory or mask.

A less elegant solution, but so far it works.

Brian
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Jim!!

I would really like to see this thread continue. I was able to take advantage of seasonal discounts and pick up an Airmini. I've been schlepping a briefcase size CPAP all over the world for years and this will be wonderful.

Question: In lines 35-38 of the scad file are the infill amounts called out correctly? In particular line 35 says 0%. I'm a little challenged with TPU and my $150 printer and get the best results at 100%, slowly with no retraction. I've printed the PLA parts already with great success, no adjustment needed.

Jim does not mention it but there is a critical aspect to his solution that attracted me to it. Unlike other adapters these parts do not take a mission critical role. That is to say if the machine fell off a nightstand and an adapter broke you still have a fully functional set-up as purchased. With the other adapters and different tubing you are reliant on the adapters to have any therapy at all.

I also think that Resmed engineers have considered volumes, velocities and pressures carefully. I prefer to keep the geometry as close as possible to the original design. They know more than me, I'll respect the math. People complain about the proprietary nature of these connectors but this device may operate in a pretty narrow band of parameters to get the therapy we expect. By making certain hardware fit they have been assuring performance. At a minimum, increasing tube diameter reduces pressure. Users need to be aware of this.

Thanks again Jim. let me know if you need a beta tester for a muffler. I can print and I can sleep. Those seem the minimum qualifications but I also have a variety of open cell foam around to make things more interesting.

Dan
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2019, 10:21 AM)dang Wrote: Thanks Jim!!

I would really like to see this thread continue. I was able to take advantage of seasonal discounts and pick up an Airmini. I've been schlepping a briefcase size CPAP all over the world for years and this will be wonderful.

Question: In lines 35-38 of the scad file are the infill amounts called out correctly? In particular line 35 says 0%. I'm a little challenged with TPU and my $150 printer and get the best results at 100%, slowly with no retraction. I've printed the PLA parts already with great success, no adjustment needed.

Jim does not mention it but there is a critical aspect to his solution that attracted me to it. Unlike other adapters these parts do not take a mission critical role. That is to say if the machine fell off a nightstand and an adapter broke you still have a fully functional set-up as purchased. With the other adapters and different tubing you are reliant on the adapters to have any therapy at all.

I also think that Resmed engineers have considered volumes, velocities and pressures carefully. I prefer to keep the geometry as close as possible to the original design. They know more than me, I'll respect the math. People complain about the proprietary nature of these connectors but this device may operate in a pretty narrow band of parameters to get the therapy we expect. By making certain hardware fit they have been assuring performance. At a minimum, increasing tube diameter reduces pressure. Users need to be aware of this.

Thanks again Jim. let me know if you need a beta tester for a muffler. I can print and I can sleep. Those seem the minimum qualifications but I also have a variety of open cell foam around to make things more interesting.

Dan
Apologies for the very late reply.  Yes those infill amounts are correct.  They probably look sparse to you, but they're designed to be extremely flexible, too much infill and you don't get the flex you need for a good seal (at least when I did it).

Just to update....

At the time I went very conservative with the design, essentially the only change to the air flow was the muffler, and as air in diameter and air out of that section are the same, then it shouldn't make any difference from a performance point of view like you said.    However now things have changed some what, adapters are available on Amazon, and connecting none AirMini masks to the AirMini seems to be the norm.  That said, you're correct, larger diameter = less pressure, which is what concerns me when others put regular masks on an AirMini.
It could be the the device itself is aware of the pressure difference and compensates, but it's not really an assumption that is safe to make.

The reason I'm thinking about this is cos the Bleep Dreamport appeals to me.  I suspect I will still need the muffler with it, and will likely either build or buy a CPAP pressure checker to make sure that the larger pipe isn't compromising the therapy.

That said, the Airfit P10 (AirMini version) still works well with the muffler setup and those 3D printed parts when I travel, I'm just looking for less leaks around the nose.  

With the P10, I use a velcro strap to hold the muffler to the AirMini when I travel.  I still use the HumidX.  Marginally louder than a P10 in an AirSense 10, but no longer does it keep me awake like it did unmodified.  Those 3D printed parts turned the AirMini that was unusable to me into something I could get a good nights sleep with.

The muffler itself is a simple design, and could easily by 3D printed, the only concern would be to find a medical grade foam that wouldn't disintegrate,   Generally PLA or Nylon is probably preferable if you're putting 3D printed parts in the airflow, purely because it off gasses less than ABS (I believe).  There are other 3D filaments now that would probably be even better too.

I've had a couple of messages saying the zip file is no longer accessible on the forum, I don't know why but I'm attaching it again here:

.zip   AirminiAdapters.zip (Size: 169.15 KB / Downloads: 9)
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you make these for others … me for instance?  Is so, how much do you charge for them?  I worry about noise bothering other folks and keeping me awake as well.  I’d love to get one from you if possible.    Cordially,
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2021, 09:20 PM)Moakiesmom Wrote: Do you make these for others … me for instance?  Is so, how much do you charge for them?  I worry about noise bothering other folks and keeping me awake as well.  I’d love to get one from you if possible.    Cordially,

There are lots of 3d printing services online now or you could give Jim's files to a local enthusiast of 3d printing. They are not difficult to find, many public librarys have 3d printers now and there are more and more "makerspaces" popping up which are like community high tech craft places.
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought the muffler on line for $19 Q-Lite In-Line Muffler Kit for CPAP/BiPAP and found the adaptor AirMini Hose Connector by Snugell™ | Connect Any CPAP Hose and Mask to AirMini Device | Fits 15 mm and 22 mm Tubing Diameters | Travel Adapter | for Standard and Slimline Tubing on Line for $25. Hoping these two reduce the noise. I will be using a P10 nasal pillow and a standard hose with no humidification. Thanks to all on this board. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for your response!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,
And thanks for sharing muffler file. As newbie I get message “you don’t have permission to access this file”. 
I’d love to try this muffler because airmini traveler air noise is disturbing compared to my airsense  10.
Any suggestions how to get this file?
Thanks

Heikki
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi … I couldn’t get it open either.  My AirMini really isn’t’ t that noisy.  I’m not sure why.  I did find a hose adapter that allows me to use other masks though.  I use the dreamwear mask.  It means I give up the humidifier but it’s more quiet do it’s fine with me.  I got it from Amazon.

Hose Connector, Breathing Tube Connection, Connect All Hose and Mask Adapter for AirMini Respirator

Sorry I can’t be more help.

Hose Connector, Breathing Tube Connection, Connect All Hose and Mask Adapter for AirMini Respirator
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,679 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,282 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 675 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 154 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,743 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 147 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.