Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Solution for the AirMini Travel Noise
RE: Solution for the AirMini Travel Noise
Hi,

I think the last part of the standard mask & pipe is reason for inhale/exhale noise. Thats probably reason you are not having any issues with airmini.
I guess it's possible to get used to the noise but it would be great to fix this issue with minimum damage on wallet.

Heikki
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2022, 01:13 PM)Moakiesmom Wrote: Hi … I couldn’t get it open either.  My AirMini really isn’t’ t that noisy.  I’m not sure why.  I did find a hose adapter that allows me to use other masks though.  I use the dreamwear mask.  It means I give up the humidifier but it’s more quiet do it’s fine with me.  I got it from Amazon.

Hose Connector, Breathing Tube Connection, Connect All Hose and Mask Adapter for AirMini Respirator

Sorry I can’t be more help.

Do we violate some forum rule? I do not understand the reason. I would appreciate if someone explained reason to this download issue.

Heikki

Hose Connector, Breathing Tube Connection, Connect All Hose and Mask Adapter for AirMini Respirator
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2022, 01:13 PM)Moakiesmom Wrote: Hi … I couldn’t get it open either.  My AirMini really isn’t’ t that noisy.  I’m not sure why.  I did find a hose adapter that allows me to use other masks though.  I use the dreamwear mask.  It means I give up the humidifier but it’s more quiet do it’s fine with me.  I got it from Amazon.

Sorry I can’t be more help.

Hi,
And if you find solution for downloading please educate me also….

Heikki

Post Reply Post Reply
Moakiesmom & mheikki - Are you trying to download the AirminiAdapters.zip file?  If you are signed in to your account here and have access problems, please see below.

I have copied it to my Google Drive and posted the link below.
AirminiAdapters.zip download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aosaXeT...sp=sharing

Let me know if it is the wrong file, or you have any download problems.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recently bought an AirMini for travel and, as others in this thread have mentioned, found it not only very noisy not only through the tubing but also at the chamber where the HumidX heat moisture exchanger discs (HME) fit and where the air vents are also located.   And, the air from the vents that surround the HME chamber and vents constantly blowing on me made it impossible to get a reasonable night's sleep. That basically defeats the purpose of a CPAP to help you to sleep reasonably well and feel mainly refreshed the next day when you don't have breathing cessation incidents.  After reading comments and suggestions in this thread, I bought a Zephair connector and a Q-Lite muffler so I could use the headgear and mask I use on my larger size CPAP (ie, DreamStation 2 with Dreamwear headgear and under the nose mask).  And, I already had an unheated Philips Respironics 15 mm tube that came with my DreamStation 2.  With the Q-Lite muffler, I didn't find a significant reduction in the noise through the tube or the Dreamwear, both of which are very quiet when attached to a DreamStation CPAP.  But, the Q-Lite definitely does some muffling compared to not using it at all.  So, I decided to keep this setup since I also prefer my Dreamwear headgear and under the nose mask.  But, I also decided that I needed to find an additional way to drown out the noise.  So, I went online and read up about white noise apps and generators and ended up downloading a white noise app/sleep sounds app to my Android phone. I found the app to be really good, but the earbuds I used hurt my ears after a few hours.  Therefore, I did some research on sleep headphones and found a wireless headband type that runs with Bluetooth.  Not only are the headphones/headband very comfortable and light-- I don't even feel the actual headphones that are in the headband and lie against my ear-- but they work really well to drown out the noise from the AirMini, tubing and I have no discomfort during the night.  I've tested out the AirMini with the headband in advance of some traveling I'll be doing and have been able to get a good night's sleep with it and the set up described above and white noise app.  The white noise app has some cool sounds (rain, ocean waves, etc) and I can add other types of sounds to the default sounds and set a timer in the app for how long I want it to play.  So, for anyone still grappling with their AirMini's noise, this is another additional option.  

Now my next challenge is to find a way to deal with the extreme dryness I get from using the unheated tubing. With my DreamStation 2, I use heated tubing and the humidifier/water chamber and don't encounter this problem.  While I've read that HMEs can't be used with the Dreamwear headgear because the HME would have to be placed near the top of the headgear and is too far away from the exhalation opening in the under the nose mask, I've decided to try it anyway since I measured the distance between the elbow at the top of the headgear and the openng in the mask to be about 9 1/2" to 10" apart and everything I've read indicates that anything greater than 12" won't work.  But, even if it gives me minimal relief from the dryness, that's better than no relief at all.  So, if I find that an HME works, I'll post an update here.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2022, 07:02 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: I have copied it to my Google Drive and posted the link below.

Thanks. I also had issues trying to download from the links earlier in the thread. Your Google Drive link did work.

Cheers,

--Jon
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm getting an error downloading the 3d print files -  are the files still available?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
This is odd. I removed this file from my Google Drive, but the link in my post above still allows for its download.

Post: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid440712

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Got it, thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to the great info on this thread, I've got the Qtube muffler. From my test, it does make a difference. Probably 25% less noise. When I inhale this is when there is the most noise. My guess is it is mostly coming from the air intake which is a reverse flow. ResMed probably designed it like that to minimize the footprint but it seems to me that it produces friction noise at the intake and that is traveling through the tubing to the mask. Perhaps the intake is a tad too small and that is what exacerbates the problem. I suspect this is why the AS10 are much quieter because of the in-line and bigger intake. So there are really 2 things we can do to dampen the total noise; 1) position the machine away 2) In line muffler (not sure if the enhanced muffler project is still on the table but what I found out the foam is a 3M open–cell as per the description on cpap.com)

Ive got the universal adaptor (cpap out air connection) on Amazon but Im having the Resmed mini hose adaptor 3d printed. I've got a universal hose out of the Qtube but it seems to me that the mini hose is lighter and maybe better and if something fails I can always revert to plugging the original hose into the machine directly. Once again, thanks for the great info and the 3d files!!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Travel ResMed recommendations PinehillJoe 11 210 2 hours ago
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Is there a quiet travel CPAP? mcman56 1 89 04-15-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 5 1,918 04-02-2024, 11:44 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 21,259 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 198 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 754 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 224 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.