Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Solutions for face itching and flapping cushion?
Solutions for face itching and flapping cushion?
Good day to all

While I have greatly improved my sleep thanks to the great advises from this forum (setting the the low pressure at 90% of the med, EPR Full time at 2, and SCC on), I have 2 things I would like to work on, as I feel those are triggering some repetitive short sleep interruptions :
1-itching nose and cheeks : I believe that before the CPAP, I scratched my face without waking up; but now, as I have a full facial mask, when my nose or cheeks are itching, I wake up and pull the mask with one hand and scratch with the other one
2-flapping mask cushion (not sure about my English here) : some time, I wake up as the cushion of my mask is flapping against my face. While my mask is well positionned when I go to bed and most of the night(no leaks happening while pressure goes up)  the mask probably sometimes moves a bit and creates a small place where the air leaks fast which makes the cushion flap

I feel that eliminating those 2 things would be another great improvement of my sleep quality. Has any of you experienced that? Did you find good solutions to fix this?

Thanks a lot

Pierre
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Solutions for face itching and flapping cushion?
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I don't think there's a viable solution to either of your issues. 

I wear a full face mask and my face itches at times and all that I can do is to respond to it. In regards to a mask, I would tend to think they all leak to some degree or another.

I'm a mouth-breather as well as a side-sleeper. My mask (ResMed AirFit F30) does a pretty good job at sealing, but it's not leak proof by any means.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Big Guy

As I found out how rich in term of solutions this forum is, this was an attempt, in case my issues are also other's issues, to leverage their dealing with them.

Have a good sleep!
Post Reply Post Reply
Some masks irritate and/or leak more or less than others. There's manufactured cloth pieces you can place under the mask or make your own out of something like a t shirt. Masks though are rather particular, and they're not all the same fit or size. You may need a different mask type brand, or model to see if you can get a better working one for you.
Dave

OSCAR
Standard OSCAR Chart Order
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Soft Cervical Collar Wiki
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Hello Pierre-though I just joined this forum tonight, I’ve been on cpap therapy for almost 2 years. During that time the one thing that consistently has plagued my sleep is being awakened by itchy nose and face. I’ve tried 6 masks trying to find the “right” one. With most of them I tried cloth liners. They helped some, especially to minimize sweat-related itches.

I realized almost a year in there is no perfect mask for me, only one I can live with. The following suggestions come from other posters on another website and have helped me manage:

-trim your nose hairs—this helps me quite a bit

-rub skin with dry washcloth where cushion rests just before placing mask plus blow and wipe  nose even if you don’t need to

-moisturize in the morning and use mild hypoallergenic facial soap before bed and gently pat face dry

-experiment with temperature and humidity settings. for me cold air and lower humidity work best

-for one handed scratching use a crochet hook to slip under cushion to get at itch

Not sure what to say about flapping cushion. If you’re a side sleeper perhaps a cpap pillow would help keep mask in place. 

Bon chance!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Neck Pain with Full Face Headset wdarner 10 589 02-26-2021, 03:02 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] how to reduce leaks, full face mask newmar 35 724 02-22-2021, 09:08 PM
Last Post: newmar
  Tips for first night switching to nasal pillow from full face mask? freddieku 3 139 02-13-2021, 08:53 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Bad Seal with Full Face Mask ts2655 3 213 01-19-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Full Face Mask vs. Pillows Rcgop 6 275 01-16-2021, 10:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  mouth breathing with full face mask merf 2 347 12-08-2020, 03:29 PM
Last Post: WhyMe
  Cushion Replacement Simo50 10 400 12-04-2020, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Homerec130

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.