Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Solutions for face itching and flapping cushion?
Solutions for face itching and flapping cushion?
Good day to all

While I have greatly improved my sleep thanks to the great advises from this forum (setting the the low pressure at 90% of the med, EPR Full time at 2, and SCC on), I have 2 things I would like to work on, as I feel those are triggering some repetitive short sleep interruptions :
1-itching nose and cheeks : I believe that before the CPAP, I scratched my face without waking up; but now, as I have a full facial mask, when my nose or cheeks are itching, I wake up and pull the mask with one hand and scratch with the other one
2-flapping mask cushion (not sure about my English here) : some time, I wake up as the cushion of my mask is flapping against my face. While my mask is well positionned when I go to bed and most of the night(no leaks happening while pressure goes up)  the mask probably sometimes moves a bit and creates a small place where the air leaks fast which makes the cushion flap

I feel that eliminating those 2 things would be another great improvement of my sleep quality. Has any of you experienced that? Did you find good solutions to fix this?

Thanks a lot

Pierre
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Solutions for face itching and flapping cushion?
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I don't think there's a viable solution to either of your issues. 

I wear a full face mask and my face itches at times and all that I can do is to respond to it. In regards to a mask, I would tend to think they all leak to some degree or another.

I'm a mouth-breather as well as a side-sleeper. My mask (ResMed AirFit F30) does a pretty good job at sealing, but it's not leak proof by any means.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Big Guy

As I found out how rich in term of solutions this forum is, this was an attempt, in case my issues are also other's issues, to leverage their dealing with them.

Have a good sleep!
Post Reply Post Reply
Some masks irritate and/or leak more or less than others. There's manufactured cloth pieces you can place under the mask or make your own out of something like a t shirt. Masks though are rather particular, and they're not all the same fit or size. You may need a different mask type brand, or model to see if you can get a better working one for you.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Pierre-though I just joined this forum tonight, I’ve been on cpap therapy for almost 2 years. During that time the one thing that consistently has plagued my sleep is being awakened by itchy nose and face. I’ve tried 6 masks trying to find the “right” one. With most of them I tried cloth liners. They helped some, especially to minimize sweat-related itches.

I realized almost a year in there is no perfect mask for me, only one I can live with. The following suggestions come from other posters on another website and have helped me manage:

-trim your nose hairs—this helps me quite a bit

-rub skin with dry washcloth where cushion rests just before placing mask plus blow and wipe  nose even if you don’t need to

-moisturize in the morning and use mild hypoallergenic facial soap before bed and gently pat face dry

-experiment with temperature and humidity settings. for me cold air and lower humidity work best

-for one handed scratching use a crochet hook to slip under cushion to get at itch

Not sure what to say about flapping cushion. If you’re a side sleeper perhaps a cpap pillow would help keep mask in place. 

Bon chance!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry AirTouch N20 - digs into cheek - any solutions? Lilaq88 2 611 03-26-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Valtor
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,400 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 521 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 501 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.