Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidity set to 0, no water in tank. Is this ok to do?
Humidity set to 0, no water in tank. Is this ok to do?
Trying out my new Airsense 11.   I had my previous Airsense 10 set to humidity = 3, but wanted to try 0 and get out of topping off the tank every day or two.      I did this last night, no dry mouth or discomfort.    Is humidity = 0 a crazy idea?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Humidity set to 0, no water in tank. Is this ok to do?
JohnReam,

I hope its OK. I have been doing it for over 15 years; when no matter what settings I used, even water in off position, I got congested. Which is what you did.

Everyone has to find out what works best for them.

Initially I bought a heated hose because ambient temperature was cold. When it gets very dry I have used a nasal gel. I have not in at least last two years. I do drink a lot of water. I have postnasal drip with some allergens so I wonder if that keeps my nose moist.

My old RemStar M series and the Resmed Elite 9 I am using now can be used without attaching the humidifier. Nice and compact.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it's working for you, then there is nothing crazy about it!  I'm not sure about the AS11, but the AS10 had a blank side cover that you could use.  Remove the humidifier and replace it with the blank side cover.
I would say to check the humidity setting and change it to zero if your not using water.  Some users report a slight burning smell if the humidifier heat is on and the tank has no water in it.  

You are still getting some sort of humidity based on what the RH is in your room, so it won't be zero RH, just no additional humidity.  IIRC the AS10 maintained a humidity level of 85% in auto mode.

If you have the ClimateLine heated hose you may need to switch the Climate Control settings to manual to set the humidity to zero.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Jeff above. My wife and one daughter use no humidity at all, and it works for them. My wife began CPAP in 2014 and the machine did not come with a humidifier. So if it works for you, go for it.

If you use a side cover, you won't need to even put the water chamber into the machine. Be aware that the side cover for AS11 is different than for AS10. I suggest going to your favorite search engine and typing is "AS11 side cover." They are not expensive.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your great replies!   

Good, glad to hear I’m not crazy.   I’ll keep going with Humidity = 0.    And my ClimateLine tube temp came pre set at 66F, which seems to cool enough for me.    

Regarding the side cover,  can’t  I just leave the empty tank in there?   The replacement side covers for sale online all seem to be the same size as the tank, so what’s the point?

Thank you all.
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't used water in my AS11 in months. (I got it new in May and haven't used water since June)

Water tank and heated hose in place but no water.
I didn't know about a side cover but don't see a reason to get one now that I do.

Climate control: Auto
Tube temp: 60° (room temp70°+ if that matters)
Humidifier: Enabled
ClimateLine: Enabled 
No water.

No weird smells.
The machine seems pretty smart... I would think it would throw an error message at me if it shouldn't be dry at current settings?

My part of the world is humid through the summer. I haven't had any dry nose/mouth issues but I might have to add water for the dry winter.
I turned it off because I was getting rain-out, got frustrated, and just quit adding water.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 91 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 86 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 155 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 209 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.