Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Solved (sorta) how to keep mouth closed!
Solved (sorta) how to keep mouth closed!
Please be aware that taping your mouth can be dangerous and a lot of people advise against it.  Do so at your own risk.

However I have had a terrible time of trying to keep my mouth closed while using my nasal pillows.  I was close to giving up.  I tried a piece of duct tape but the glue is harsh and it doesn't stick when exposed to moisture on skin very well.  I was looking around our local pharmacy for something that would hold up for a whole night adhesive wise but wouldn't be so harsh on my skin.  What I ended up with is buying some kinesiology tape and some self adhesive elastic wrap (It looks crinkly and sticks only to itself when wrapped).  The great part about the kinesiology tape is the adhesive is meant for human skin and it sticks VERY well even when exposed to light moisture.  They also have one specifically designed for swimmers which I was hesitant to try as I have to remove it daily and it says it's meant to stay on for 7 days.  The problem with the kinesiology tape is that it is also elastic in nature and is breathable.  So to solve this I put a layer of kinesiology tape over my mouth, then a layer of 3m duct tape to make the tape air tight isolating the duct tape from direct contact with my skin.  I then wrapped my jaw in place with the elastic wrap so that my mouth would not come open on its own.  So far this has been the best solution I have found.  I have a chin strap which should be arriving today so I won't need to use the elastic wrap but I believe I will still use the tape when I use the nasal pillows.  The kinesiology tape I bought comes in 10 inch strips which I cut in half.

I know it's not the most elegant solution however it allowed me to get 100% mask seal for an entire night and was still perfectly sealed and comfortable in the morning.  No jaw aches or pressure marks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Solved (sorta) how to keep mouth closed!
Sounds like a lot of work. Hopefully the chin strap will negate all that.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
That sounds a little extreme, but sometimes we have to do whatever works.
My question: Are you able to open your mouth at all? Can you get all that tape and elastic wrap off in an emergency???
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2018, 11:31 AM)OpalRose Wrote: That sounds a little extreme, but sometimes we have to do whatever works.
My question:  Are you able to open your mouth at all?  Can you get all that tape and elastic wrap off in an emergency???

Yes I was able to make little folds at the end of the tape on both sides so in case of an emergency it can easily be ripped off and you're not fumbling to try to find an edge to pull the tape off.  However with the nasal pillows in case of emergency I can just pull the mask off which would be easier.  You are correct it is a little extreme but when you are woken up every 20 minutes because your mouth is blasting air you have to do something.  I think someone could make a lot of money if they produced and mouth guard that blocked mouth-breathing.  To me the chin strap combined with a mouth guard would be the ultimate solution.  I have a full face F20 mask which should be here tomorrow so hopefully that will be my ultimate solution however it's still nice to have a backup plan.  The great thing about the F20 is you can use the airfit or the airtouch cushion with the same frame.  I'm still really new to CPAP therapy in fact I'm only 5 days in but I'm really looking forward to feeling better and having more energy I'm hoping after a month this will happen.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your chin strap doesn’t work, try a “soft” cervical collar. This helps support the jaw/mouth from opening.
This needs to be a couple inches larger than your neck circumference and not tall. Shorter ones work best.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, I will look into that.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm also someone who can't keep from mouth breathing and has resorted to using tape on my mouth.  What I use is 3M Micropore 2" paper tape.  I fold over the ends so I have something to grab onto to remove it in the morning.  I found a good coating of Chap Stick, or your favorite lip balm keeps it from sticking to your lips.  I also place a second piece over the first to help block some of the air which escapes through the micropores.

It seems like someone, somewhere would have thought to make some kind of facial mask/mouth device which covers the mouth and helps hold the chin in place.  Something similar to the respirator scuba divers use. It would have a part which goes inside your mouth, between your cheeks and teeth.  The other part would cover your mouth from the outside, and would have a cup to rest your chin in.
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought the F20 full face mask which I find is quite good but at higher pressures it needs to be pretty tight.  Once my nose is fully healed I will alternate back and forth between them probably every other day or so.  But if someone designed a mouthguard that blocked mouth-breathing that would be fantastic coupled with a chin strap it would be the best solution possible.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ditto on the soft cervical collar.

It solved pretty much all of my OA's, which were occurring, not because my airway was collapsing while on CPAP, but because my pillows were tipping my head forward and when my chin dropped open, it closed my airway.

The collar I use rests under my chin and actually works at keeping my mouth shut while I sleep.  Not so much when I'm awake.  :Smile  But the collar also helps keep my neck straight, which also seems necessary to stop my OA's.

I've had to change my pillow arrangement when sleeping on my back so that the pillows don't push my head forward, but it's helpled quite a bit with a problem that seemed pretty near to unsolvable.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2018, 02:34 PM)skylark Wrote: I'm also someone who can't keep from mouth breathing and has resorted to using tape on my mouth.  What I use is 3M Micropore 2" paper tape.  I fold over the ends so I have something to grab onto to remove it in the morning.  I found a good coating of Chap Stick, or your favorite lip balm keeps it from sticking to your lips.  I also place a second piece over the first to help block some of the air which escapes through the micropores.

It seems like someone, somewhere would have thought to make some kind of facial mask/mouth device which covers the mouth and helps hold the chin in place.  Something similar to the respirator scuba divers use. It would have a part which goes inside your mouth, between your cheeks and teeth.  The other part would cover your mouth from the outside, and would have a cup to rest your chin in.

You'll need a chin strap with this, otherwise it goes inside your mouth between your teeth and lips, and blocks the mouth from passing air.
Commercial Link Removed. Instead search for Breathe-Mate mouth piece.

Or, you could buy an adult pacifier. Yes, they make adult-sized binkys! LOL

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 61 4 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 1 58 Yesterday, 10:07 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 11 786 04-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 617 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 192 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 333 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,222 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.