Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Some People Just Don't "GET" How Important Compliance Is!
Some People Just Don't "GET" How Important Compliance Is!
Ok, it probably isn't any of my business but my client and I talk a lot about health, and many subjects. She is not and has not used her c-pap in a long time. She does nogt have a mask anymore and tells me how she has headaches and can't sleep at night but naps around 2PM every day. DUH. It might be cuz she need to use her c-pap? Ya think?

I just tried to tell her she could have a stroke or die and how her body ( obese) suffers and so on. So she said next month when she sees her doc she will mention it. She said she probably needs a new sleep study. I hope she follows thru.

I like to think I help people. I encouraged another client to not let them take his leg and (see another doctor) that ached and had poor circulation and hurt. He had three blood clots and they operated and redirected blood flow. I saw him today and he is walking great, no cane and no pain! Some people listen to me! I also believe prayer did help him too.

WHY?? I ask WHY don't doctors impress upon patients how necessary being compliant w/c-pap is? Geesh! I mean there it is on your night stand to help you feel better and not be so drained and have those headaches......and they ignore it? I don not get it. Other people want a machine and have no insurance or can't afford one. I paid out of pocket $800 for my 1st sleep study and another $840 and $400 upgrade for the auto Titrating before I had insurance and medicare. I wasn't going to wait til I was 65. I am still sleepy and take naps but I would NEVER go one night without my c-pap! When I have a cold or runny nose I stay awake. Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Some People Just Don't "GET" How Important Compliance Is!
Schnauzers 5, I don't know the answer but I paid $2,500 Australian out of my pocket to get the best machine and would have paid anything to save my life.
The 2nd patient that had the blood clots, did he / she also have sleep apnea, someone just asked me this morning if sleep apnea can cause blood clots and although I have never seen it written down anywhere, it wouldn't surprise me. Just curious?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2013, 12:56 AM)Tez62 Wrote: Schnauzers 5, I don't know the answer but I paid $2,500 Australian out of my pocket to get the best machine and would have paid anything to save my life.
The 2nd patient that had the blood clots, did he / she also have sleep apnea, someone just asked me this morning if sleep apnea can cause blood clots and although I have never seen it written down anywhere, it wouldn't surprise me. Just curious?

No, Bob Is very skinny and if he does have sleep apnea neither he or a doctor ever said so that I know of. Bob is only 50 or 51 I think. He is still a smoker, but trying to quit. I do not know what sleep apnea can cause, I just know I have mild apnea and my machine is my life line. I also realize anyone thin or not can have sleep apnea. The subject never came up, but I don't think he does or if so, knows he does. I am only his mobile dog groomer. Some clients open up more and need to talk, and some don't.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2013, 12:49 AM)Schnauzers 5 Wrote: I just tried to tell her she could have a stroke or die and how her body ( obese) suffers and so on.
Hope she listen to you
Its been said 'you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink'

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2013, 01:23 AM)Schnauzers 5 Wrote:
(05-17-2013, 12:56 AM)Tez62 Wrote: Schnauzers 5, I don't know the answer but I paid $2,500 Australian out of my pocket to get the best machine and would have paid anything to save my life.

No, Bob Is very skinny and if he does have sleep apnea neither he or a doctor ever said so that I know of. Bob is only 50 or 51 I think. He is still a smoker, but trying to quit. I do not know what sleep apnea can cause, I just know I have mild apnea and my machine is my life line. I also realize anyone thin or not can have sleep apnea. The subject never came up, but I don't think he does or if so, knows he does. I am only his mobile dog groomer. Some clients open up more and need to talk, and some don't.

It can cause associated illness's like heart attack, stroke, diabeties, depression etc and some even think some cancers.

I used to own a mobile dog washing business myselfWink
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2013, 01:28 AM)Tez62 Wrote: I used to own a mobile dog washing business myselfWink

I just wish my dog would be a bit less mobile when I try to was it....
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2013, 01:38 AM)Moriarty Wrote:
(05-17-2013, 01:28 AM)Tez62 Wrote: I used to own a mobile dog washing business myselfWink

I just wish my dog would be a bit less mobile when I try to was it....

Bob claims he inherited all his heart , stroke etc problems. He had a stroke a few months ago but with no bad side effects. He has a big scar across his head from an anurism years ago. He thinks it is all hereditary and I think more from smoking and diet. He is very thin. I will groom his other dog next month and ask him some questions about sleep apnea possibiliies. He goes back for a check up soon. I look at people and think they are probably ones with sleep apnea and don't know it. So many people are overweight ( me included) these days, how could they not be? Yet it seems doctors rarely consider sleep apnea as the cause of being tired etc. No doctor ever suggested I had it. I had a client who did, and told me to check it out. I did and answered the little test questions and then had a sleep study. Perhaps if more of us who do have it think a friend does, we should suggest they check it out.Thanks to her, I found out I have it and now treat it and feel better!
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not obesity by itself that "causes" sleep apnea. It depends on where the weight is.

Thick necked, big guys are the stereotypical folk with OSA. That thick neck of muscle and fat gets heavy and adds to the weight of the throat muscles.

On the other hand, a big guy with regular size neck but huge waist probably won't "get" sleep apnea.

A co-worker is a tall, skinny man. He has major throat issues and has had surgery. His throat and upper esophagus are too narrow. He's had a sleep study twice (before and after the surgery) and it is too mild to use a machine. If he were to ever gain weight and gain more around his neck, he'd probably have to use a CPAP.

Sleep apnea is a throat thing. The muscles in our throat are voluntary, just like our arms. When we sleep, those muscles relax. For some people, they relax too far and start to vibrate in the air flow (that's the snore). Then the muscles totally collapse, blocking the airway. There's a lot of factors that go into what causes some people to have OSA and others to not.

Age is a factor, true, but I think it is given more weight than it deserves. I was in my 30s when diagnosed.

In other words, we can't go by looks alone.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,963 358,869 04-12-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: btreger
  AHI vs Desaturation -which is more important? vwboop 1 176 03-08-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 304 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  How do YOU report Resmed CPAP data for compliance silverchief2 21 1,593 12-17-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Information About Knightbridge Dual Chin Strap - IMPORTANT cmpman1974 0 470 12-13-2023, 12:31 AM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  Insurance Compliance and Changing My Own Pressure Brennie 3 452 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Anyone interested in starting an online self-help video chat for people with SA/UARS? JamesD0079 0 374 10-26-2023, 09:56 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.