Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Some cool citizen science to fill in the time
Cool 
Some cool citizen science to fill in the time
If you're stuck at home watching reruns of old sitcoms, here is something that might help fill in the time and make a worthwhile contribution to science. Not health science, but astrophysics. The following is an email sent to all volunteers at Perth Observatory (where I am a member). If you're interested, follow the links in the email. The work is somewhat tedious but fascinating at the same time. It will make you go cross-eyed. Crazy Bug-eyed Crazy

Paul Jones Wrote:Good afternoon members,

Are you In social isolation or working from home and need something astronomical to interest you now that tours are off for the foreseeable future? If yes read on…

Dr Beatriz Villarroel from the Stockholm University and Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias, Spain, has been in communication with Dr. Craig Bowers about using the Astrographic plate scans to check for vanishing stars. The project is enormous and she has organised a citizen science project to tackle it and is now calling for volunteers. She wrote to Craig:

I wanted to write you about the VASCO Citizen Science Project in searches for vanishing stars. The webpage currently hosts 150,000 candidates of vanishing stars from the Villarroel+ 2020 paper (https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.38...881/ab570f) that need to be visually analyzed. The webpage still needs some beta testing as we have not had an opportunity to try the project design on a significantly large group of people to see how it works. However, with the current situation in the world we’ve had to modify and adapt our plans.

We therefore have created a public webpage for the citizen science project and we have also created a Facebook page. I’ve included a video greeting onto the Facebook page. I’d be happy if more of you who use Facebook could help to fill this page with interesting material and please help sharing it.

The links can be found:

https://vasconsite.wordpress.com/ml-blink-2/

https://www.facebook.com/vascoproject/

Now, I need the help of each one of you. Please, distribute the citizen science project as much as you can. Send it to your friends. Send it to your colleagues. Send it to your students or to the outreach officer who maybe can send the page to some schools. If somebody of you knows (of) a group of students or schools or amateur astronomers who could help working on the citizen science project during the quarantine, please forward them the links.

If you click on the links what is required to engage in the citizen science project is explained. Your participation will advance the VASCO citizen science project, will be both inspiring, educational and entertaining in quarantine during the COVID-19 outbreak.

Kind Regards
Paul Jones - Secretary

The astrographic plates mentioned are part of Perth Observatory's collection of tens of thousands of photographic glass plates of the southern skies extending way back 120 years. The Astrograph telescope is itself is 120 years old this year, and is just about ready to be unveiled after a marathon restoration effort.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Some cool citizen science to fill in the time
That's pretty cool stuff there. I think along with doing things to prevent illness, taking time to do things to help others is better for you than sitting and worrying.
Dave

OSCAR
Standard OSCAR Chart Order
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Soft Cervical Collar Wiki
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you believe that, then I have a BUNCH of yard work that could help reduce your idleness. Big Grin
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead and OSCAR
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Convenient for me that we're several states apart. However, if it weren't that, I'd do what I could.
Dave

OSCAR
Standard OSCAR Chart Order
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Soft Cervical Collar Wiki
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Grin Ok, it's time for some corona virus funnies... DeepBreathing 60 2,379 06-01-2020, 04:44 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  POLITICAL TIME OUT srlevine1 10 1,209 04-25-2020, 11:54 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
Wink DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME srlevine1 21 1,827 11-12-2018, 10:28 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Garden harvest time. GrammaBear 12 1,591 08-21-2017, 10:39 AM
Last Post: GrammaBear
  Cool possible new product FrankNichols 6 1,163 06-24-2016, 04:17 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  My Airport Time Capsule quit MitchS 0 817 04-23-2016, 08:53 AM
Last Post: MitchS
  How to change the time. libbyau 18 5,089 01-17-2014, 06:39 PM
Last Post: cbramsey

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.