Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Some help interpreting my sleep study results
Some help interpreting my sleep study results
Hello all-

Had a study last week and got the results back. Going to see the Dr. soon but I'd love to hear some of your opinions:

Sleep efficiency: 90.3%
Latency: 17.2 minutes (fast for me)
Stage N1: 14.2% (increased)
Stage N2: 59.4% (increased)
Stage N3: 7.8% (decreased)
2 REM sleep periods: 18.6% total (decreased)

REM sleep latency: 147.5 minutes (this concerns me a bit)

Overall AHI: 7.3
REM Specific AHI: 16.9
Obstructive apnea index: 0.0 events/hr (doesn't make sense to me?)
Obstructive hyponeas: 44 recorded with mean duration 20.4 (I guess I have hyponeas and not apneas?)
RDI: 7.9
Mean o2 Saturation: 95.6%
Lowest Saturation: 86%
48 arousals related to respiratory events making the index 7.9/hour
69 spontaneous arousals (11.4/hour)

I'd appreciate any insights you guys have into this report.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Some help interpreting my sleep study results
You have mild obstructive sleep apnea. You should treat it. CPAP is considered the gold standard for treatment, but at that level some people have been successful using dental appliances to treat apnea. However, beware, many who have tried the dental appliances have complained about jaw pain.

The hypopneas are disturbing your sleep (note the arousal rates) and are also driving your O2 saturation below 90%. So even though they aren't "full blown apneas" (pun intended) they are just as big a problem for you.

"Normal" REM latency is 60 to 90 minutes. It is quite possible that the arousals related to the hypopneas are affecting the amount and latency of REM sleep. Time spent in Stage N3 decreases with age: the decrease may be normal depending on the magnitude of the decrease, your current age, and how old you were when you got the results you are comparing it to. Time spent in Stage N3 can also be affected by OSA.

BTW, what led the doctor to suggest a sleep study?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Some help interpreting my sleep study results
This was actually my third sleep study. I had done two before that showed no apnea, but I also barely got any sleep. Both studies showed 0% REM sleep. I had basically given up on the diagnosis until another Dr. told me that there's no way they could rule out apnea if they didn't get me in to REM sleep.

My initial complain was Excessive Daytime sleepiness.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 227 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 530 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 100 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 132 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.