Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Some mornings AMAZING, some awful
Some mornings AMAZING, some awful
Ok, bear with me here, this is an unorthodox post...

I did a home sleep study but it was inconclusive. Due to that, my insurance is rejecting the Drs. request for a full in house sleep study. I have young kids, full time job and am a zombie, I need this figured out. My primary care did bloodwork, physical etc and ruled out other major issues so I went ahead and bought a APAP/CPAP to try it out while the insurance battle rages on. I know I know.

I have dutifully used it for over a month and about twice a week (random) I'll wake up feeling GREAT, like an actual human. But MOST mornings I'm a zombie. Not insanely 'tired' but REALLY fatigued, the whole deal.

I cannot figure out what makes for a good morning vs. normal morning.

Attached is a snaphot from sleepyhead.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to get a better night sleep. I am fully aware that doing this without a prescription is not a good idea etc etc etc. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Some mornings AMAZING, some awful
Hey SleepyMcGee, that's a lot of initiative. You have a good machine, but you need to dial in minimum pressure to make it work best, Once you have 4-posts in, you can attach images and linked images, so be sure to post some responses.

Based on your summary, you have a very low obstructive apnea rate, and centrals are not an issue. I think your CPAP is taking care of obstructive apnea, but your minimum pressure is still leaving you with too much hypopnea. I would suggest you increase the minimum to 5.6-6.0 and see what that does for you. That reflects your current 90% pressure and should address those residual events. Otherwise, you've made good progress on controlling leaks and your therapy times are very good.

Home sleep studies are more likely to give a false negative, and it sucks your insurance simply denied this. I think with the information you now have, your doctor and you could appeal that finding. Mainly, be sure you discuss your use of CPAP with the doctor and that your record reflect the qualitative benefits it has shown. FWIW, it may be better not to have insurance involved since you're free to manage your own care at this point. In the future, you will need your records to justify another shot at getting approval for a machine, so make sure your records are kept by your doctor, as well as your prescription.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Truly appreciate the response, thanks you!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I should add that I notified my doctor that at this point I'd like to either pay for the sleep study OOP or have them appeal using my cpap info.
Post Reply Post Reply
You know what stands out in the summary statistics is that you have steadily improved. If you look at the prescription history at the bottom, it's not the pressures you want to look at, but the steady progress towards lower events as you adapted to this. The fatigue will pass. It just takes time, and it's hard to have patience.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Appreciate the feedback. What puzzles me is the fact that sometimes I am GREAT in the am and other mornings zombie. Just out of the blue about once a week I'll wake up as if I was 18. Then the rest of the mornings it's zombie. Very strange.

I'd also add that sometimes the mornings where I feel great my AHI could be higher than zombie mornings.
Post Reply Post Reply
It doesn't get a lot better when you put on a few decades, although I have found retirement most refreshing. Coffee
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SleepyMcGee,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Sounds like you are doing very well, keep up the good work.
It can take some time before you notice improvements, just stick with it, it does get better.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and good luck to you on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. The weird thing is that some days I'm perfect some days not. Weird.
Post Reply Post Reply
ok so an update here...Friday I changed pressure to min of 6. Sat AM I woke up completely refreshed. one of the 'amazing' mornings I spoke about. AHI Friday night of .43. Saturday night was pretty good too. AHI of 1.35. Sunday night pretty good, AHI 1.6.

I dont feel as good today as I did Saturday. AHI is creeping back up. Had 12 hypo events last night vs. ONE on Friday...

Any thoughts or other data I could provide to help?

THANKS!!!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 606 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 214 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Central Sleep Apnea, CPAP, and rough early mornings middleraven 4 386 02-02-2024, 03:59 PM
Last Post: middleraven
  [Treatment] Waking up worse despite multiple changes, life feels awful davigalindo 10 957 10-26-2023, 07:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  First two nights of therapy, and feeling awful Riobard 12 1,295 10-14-2023, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  Woke up feeling absolutely awful - OSCAR graph analysis really appreciated new2paphopeful 2 700 10-03-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: stevew77

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.