Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Some questions [leakage & proper settings]
Some questions [leakage & proper settings]
I've been using my brick since April.  Unfortunately, I didn't discover this forum until after it was too late to get a full-data machine. The first question I have is about leakage.  The Resmed myAir app always shows that I have a good seal and always shows only one mask on/off each night, which I assume is when I put it on.  Almost every night I lift my nasal mask up several times to scratch my nose.  During this time my mask is definitely not sealed.  Shouldn't those times be showing up as times that my mask is off? Can I believe anything that app tells me? My other question concerns my setting.  My prescribed setting is 6 and I was doing well on it until a few weeks ago when I began to wake up during the night feeling like I couldn't get enough air.  The feeling was the same feeling that I experienced when I initially used the ramp feature.  I finally turned the ramp setting off because I couldn't fall asleep when I felt short of breath. I figured that the shortness of breath was because the pressure started too low for my needs.  This led me to believe that my shortness of breath during the night meant that my pressure setting was too low , so I raised it to 7 and haven't had any further problems.  Was that an ok thing to do?  I am really trying to justify the expense of getting a full-data machine now.  Thanks for your help, everyone.  I am loving this board and wish I had found it sooner.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Some questions
Yes raising your pressure to 7cm to breath was the right thing to do. I don't think a quick nose scratch is going to effect your leakage very much. ResMed uses over 24ml for 30 percent of the night for a bad mask leak. It would take way too much leaking for you to get there.
Better to depend on yourself to find fix leaks. Feel around the edge of the mask for leaks. If you don't feel any than you should be good to go.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I found myAir next to useless regarding leaks. It gives a smiley face even for a D grade. It was helpful when I first started for telling me whether I was improving in leak management, generally speaking.

myAir is really about compliance, IMO, and for giving the Sleep Center discussion points at your next appointment.

On SleepyHead, I get a 100% leak when I scratch my nose or reposition my mask quickly. It looks like a thin green vertical line on my chart, top to bottom. When I look at my chart, I know exactly what it is, and factor it out of my "leaks I need to pay attention to".

Can you make a case for your docs to change the prescription to Auto full data?
Post Reply Post Reply
What information does your machine display give you? I am wondering what your AHI reading is?

If you can see your AHI and it is fairly low (under 5), then you are doing all you can with this Cpap.
If it’s much higher, you need to talk to your doctor about a data capable machine.

Have you been back to your doctor since April? How does he know how you are doing without access to data? Sad

Leaks: Don't know what your leak rate is, but a smiley face won’t tell you much.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Some questions [leakage & proper settings]
Hi dhammond,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post, good luck with CPAP therapy and getting used to it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Some questions [leakage & proper settings]
This is very helpful Thank you for this information
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Juniper's questions juniper 5 79 6 hours ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 72 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 230 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] Massive leakage with new P30i unlockingsleep 2 245 02-25-2024, 03:14 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 298 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 441 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 791 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.