Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Someone be so kind as to explain Gel nasal mask vs regular nasal mask
Someone be so kind as to explain Gel nasal mask vs regular nasal mask
I want to try a nasal mask and may people swear by the dream wear. I have found 2 different masks
Philips Respironics DreamWear Gel Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask Complete - 1124984 $65.00
or 
Philips Respironics Dreamwear Nasal Mask System 1116700 Retail Package Complete $60.00

What is the difference between Gel and regular mask, is it worth the $5.00?
I am not set on the dreamwear, so the question could be about the difference between gel and regular.

Is the nasal mask different from the nasal pillows?

TIA
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Someone be so kind as to explain Gel nasal mask vs regular nasal mask
The "gel" refers to that blue ring of goo inside the pillows. It allegedly makes it softer and forms a better seal. This is similar to what the Nuance has.

It looks as if the "mask" version doesn't have any nasal inserts but only cover the nostrils (both at same time vs one at a time).

There is a review of the mask here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-DreamWear
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Paula's correct the Regular Dreamwear fits outside your nostrils like a nasal mask though they put it in the pillow category due to it's size.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Paula. The review was helpful. I by no means have mastered the search function.
Thanks Walla Walla
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2018, 06:01 PM)gwc2795 Wrote: Thanks Paula. The review was helpful. I by no means have mastered the search function.
Thanks Walla Walla

Many people, myself included, were NEVER able to get the mask (original nasal hole version) to seal without horrible leaking. That's why they invented the gel pillow version of the mask. THAT one seals without leaks, and works very well!

The only difference between the two, is the Gel pillow insert, versus the nasal "hole" insert. The headgear and such is exactly the same between the two.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had been using the Dreamwear nasal mask and switched to the Dreamwear gel a couple of weeks ago.  I like the gel nasal pillows a lot better.  The mask stays in place better for me when I move around at night.

Since i already was using Dreamwear, I only needed the gel pillow part. I ordered the gel pillow from Amazon for around $22.00.  I ordered the medium size, but I am thinking of ordering the large to see if that size would be even better for me since I have large nares. 

Anyhow, this is what I ordered:
Replacement Gel Pillow Cushion for Dreamwear Gel Pillow Mask (Medium)Replacement Gel Pillow Cushion for Dreamwear Gel Pillow Mask (Medium) 
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Mike and Sam. Still undecided.
Post Reply Post Reply
I never buy masks if I can't test them on-site.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Crowtor but I am in a small town and don't have that option.
Post Reply Post Reply
I understand your frustration. I'd assume though you can test a few models at your sleep doc or at your sleep clinic. When I was testing new equipment it was always a loaner or a test model everyone gets, at the clinic.

I live in a big city and there's only 2 places I can test masks,one a shop and the other the sleep clinic.
Plus here if you bought and tested a mask you can't return it. I always dreaded when I had to get a mask, throwing away +$150 makes me feel faint. Also I avoid used stuff from ebay or similar, last time I bought a busted Heated hose Oxi(for oxygen) and it was broken. $100 thrown away in 5 minutes.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 0 14 40 minutes ago
Last Post: emile.leplattenier
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 86 Yesterday, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 449 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 114 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 110 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 251 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 982 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.