Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Something doesn't feel right - weak airflow
Something doesn't feel right - weak airflow
Something feels off with my machine. 

After the initial 5 seconds or so it feels like the pressure has changed almost to where it doesn't feel like it's on. Initially if I open my mouth with the mask on it will puff out my cheeks but then after that it will only blow them out slightly. It is on because when I lift the mask off my face air gushes out but when it's on my face it feels weak. It's an 10 right now and it feels like 4. 

I've checked the hose connections and fixtures..... 

This morning I woke up and the machine was on but the air was off and when I put it back on a sound was coming from the hose or mask. 

Any ideas?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Something doesn't feel right - weak airflow
Assuming there is little or no airflow, the machine has either shutdown or has a serious malfunction. I would have it checked out by your medical equipment supplier. If you're wearing the mask and don't have leaks, the pressure may be imperceptible, however removing the mask, should result in a rush of flowing air.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's always the homemade manometer test. Maybe not a good idea if you have a heated hose...
Stick the hose in a tall bottle of water and see how far down you can push it before the bubbles stop. If you measure in centimetres, that's your pressure in cmH2O. If you measure in inches, multiply by 2.5 (2.54 to be exact).
You'll know if the pressure is way off.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2017, 09:45 PM)pholynyk Wrote: There's always the homemade manometer test. Maybe not a good idea if you have a heated hose...
Stick the hose in a tall bottle of water and see how far down you can push it before the bubbles stop. If you measure in centimetres, that's your pressure in cmH2O. If you measure in inches, multiply by 2.5 (2.54 to be exact).

Pretty nice way of checking pressure.

BTW how art thou?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm recovering nicely. I'm in a walking rehab program now, trying to regain stamina lost while I had the angina. I have a bit of pain around my sternum when I roll over in bed, but that's easing all the time. 'They' say it can take six months or more to fully recover. A lot of people seem surprised that I'm so active, but the nurses had me walking around the halls of the ICU on the second or third day.

Thanks for asking
Post Reply Post Reply
pholynyk,

congrats on progress, keep it up.

Best wishes on quickest possible recovery.

Dave

Oh BTW, feeble attempt to be on topic: sorry for misdirecting the thread. Random thought: what's the status in the filter? Not clogged I suppose. I'd follow up by as others said get the DME to check the health of the blower.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2017, 08:28 PM)Miastar Wrote: Something feels off with my machine. 

After the initial 5 seconds or so it feels like the pressure has changed almost to where it doesn't feel like it's on. Initially if I open my mouth with the mask on it will puff out my cheeks but then after that it will only blow them out slightly. It is on because when I lift the mask off my face air gushes out but when it's on my face it feels weak. It's an 10 right now and it feels like 4. 

It really just sounds like, from this, that you have gotten used to the mask and the sensation of air blowing on you. There are many mornings I wake up and think the power is off because I don't feel it. And it will be about 17!

Quote:I've checked the hose connections and fixtures..... 

This morning I woke up and the machine was on but the air was off and when I put it back on a sound was coming from the hose or mask. 

Any ideas?

Thanks

What kind of sound?
Was it a gurgling, snoring kind of sound? Could be water in the hose. (just thinking the simplest first)
And you are sure the air was off? Nothing when you put your hand in front of the mask or took off the mask?
Have you checked/changed the filter lately? If you did, make sure it is still in place. If not, check it and see if it needs changing.
Make sure all connections on the machine itself are closed properly, too.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2017, 09:45 PM)pholynyk Wrote: There's always the homemade manometer test. Maybe not a good idea if you have a heated hose... 

I really want to try this but I'm worried about getting water into the machine, my hose is not heated. 

sorry for misdirecting the thread. Random thought: what's the status in the filter? Not clogged I suppose. I'd follow up by as others said get the DME to check the health of the blower.

[/quote]

No worries lol.

Um yeah... it's almost completely grey. I did check it out but forgot what it looked like initially and I see now it's meant to be lily white :/ I guess that may be it. I thought it would last longer than this, I'll need to order some filters. 

(10-20-2017, 12:50 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: It really just sounds like, from this, that you have gotten used to the mask and the sensation of air blowing on you. There are many mornings I wake up and think the power is off because I don't feel it. And it will be about 17!

Do you adjust to the puffiness? because the mask has been making me eyes v puffy in the morning, so much so I was looking into getting some mask straps to see if it'd help; since the weird airflow issue my eyes are no longer puffy.

(10-20-2017, 12:50 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: What kind of sound?
Was it a gurgling, snoring kind of sound? Could be water in the hose. (just thinking the simplest first)

More like a whistling noise I think? I don't fully remember, it went away after a while and isn't happening anymore. 

(10-20-2017, 12:50 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: And you are sure the air was off? Nothing when you put your hand in front of the mask or took off the mask?

Yeah it felt off when I woke up, I lifted up one corner of the the mask and no air was coming out. 

(10-20-2017, 12:50 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Have you checked/changed the filter lately? If you did, make sure it is still in place. If not, check it and see if it needs changing.

It's still in place but looks like it needs changing...please let the solution be that simple.

Thanks everyoneSmile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 167 6 hours ago
Last Post: Abhi
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 83 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 826 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 324 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,007 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 891 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 195 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.