Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Something to help with mouth leaks
Something to help with mouth leaks
Hi all.
10-year CPAP user here and I've been using tape on my mouth for most of that time in order to stop mouth-breathing.  However, my wife says that I still tend to have mouth noises due to my lips burbling or similar.  Plus, taking off the tape can sometimes take off skin, causing little sores.

Does anyone have other suggestions, other than a full face mask?  Apart from the mouth/lips issue, I'm extremely happy with my new ResMed AirFit N30i mask as it's the best mask I've ever had in terms of comfort, no/minimal leaks etc.  I'm thinking about a chin strap but I tried one once and it didn't seem to help much, but I might need to try a bunch of things again.

Cheers in advance
Gary
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Something to help with mouth leaks
what tape do you use, i use a hypoallergenic 1 inch bandaid, it doesnt not take my skin off.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Crowtor
Thanks for replying. I use Fixomull stretch medical tape but I guess the tape situation is more of a side issue; the root cause is that I'm making all sorts of lip leak noises that wake up (or keep awake) my wife. To be honest, I think that unless the tape is even more adhesive and/or non-porous, the leak noises will continue. I've used tape on and off more most of the 10 years I've been using CPAP therapy but the noises seem to be getting worse rather than improving...which is what I thought would happen with time and repetition.

I'd be interested to hear of any alternative solutions that have worked for others.

As an FYI, I'm using an autoset machine with a high pressure of 14cm. My prescription was for 13cm but I've found that 14cm tends to be a bit more effective.
Post Reply Post Reply
What is the aversion to a full face mask? It's the proven solution to mouth leak, with no messing about with tape, collars, chin straps etc etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
Probably just because I trialled a few full-face masks years ago and they never seemed to seal very well. I also had some issues with nasal mask seals but my current ResMed N30i is fantastic in terms of seal...except for my danged lips.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mask technology has come a long way in the past few years.

The other proven solution is gaffer tape. Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-04-2019, 06:35 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Mask technology has come a long way in the past few years.

The other proven solution is gaffer tape. Big Grin

LOL. I’ve tried gaffer tape...and that was an experience I’d rather not repeat ever again!

Maybe I’ll go and try some full-face masks again...
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-04-2019, 06:29 AM)Maddcow Wrote: Probably just because I trialed a few full-face masks years ago and they never seemed to seal very well. I also had some issues with nasal mask seals

I had a similar experience. I started with a nasal mask and never could get it to seal well. Lots of trouble so I switched to nasal pillows and used them for a couple of years.

When I switched to a full face mask I thought it would be awful. But in fact I was quite happy with it. I think it was a case of adaptation.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some thoughts:

Could the bubbling be something else?  It certainly could be air seeping out from under the tape, granted, and maybe it would cause a 'flapping' or buzzing sound in the right conditions.  Watery sounds could be from a bad seal in the tubing or the reservoir, or even water being blown through an accumulation of condensate at the nadir of the hose's path.

My therapist/monitor told me to eventually try to find a way to avoid having to tape.  It may be the ticket right now, but as we age our skin gets more fragile and thinner, and she said I'd likely have to abandon the tape anyway.  I'll address that soon enough, most likely with a change of mask.

Right now I am using 3M Corp "NexCare" 2.5 cm wide 'water resistant' white surgical-type tape.  I'd put some money on your being able to acquire a spool of it somewhere locally, but otherwise online.  When I tear off a piece, I make sure it's long enough to extend at least 15 mm beyond the 'corner's of my mouth. I also press it firmly into place all over its surface.  When I need to remove it, I grasp the folded-over tab I created at one end and pull mostly toward the direction of removal, but smoothly and slowly.  Let the adhesive part naturally, not forced unduly.

Have you tried a cervical collar and tape, or a cervical collar and the chin strap.  This won't be a particularly welcome alternative, but you might adapt and find that the noises are a thing of the past.
Post Reply Post Reply
The N30i with “The Eliminator” collar is what has worked best for me so far, but my F30 just arrived today. It’s sort of like an N30i with a mouth cup added, and it’s much quieter. There’s nothing actually over the nose. The test fitting seems promising! I can’t wait to go to sleep tonight!

Other similar masks are the Amara View and Dreamware “Full Face”, but I haven’t tried them.

The F20 medium sealed well for me, but constricted my nose some, and the large is too big.

Even when using FF, I’m trying to breathe through my nose only. The full face just relieves that pressure difference that makes it hard to keep the mouth closed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 11 1 hour ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 359 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 280 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 311 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 159 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.