Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Something went very wrong early morning - kept feeling pressure pulses waking me up
Something went very wrong early morning - kept feeling pressure pulses waking me up
Something seriously went wrong early this morning with my therapy. I kept waking up feeling the "pressure pulses" of the machine. I guess it was checking if I had an OA/CA. This is not typical for me, and I was not laying any different in bed to have OA's more tonight.

As long as there are no leaks, how accurate can it determine the OA's vs CA's? Did I really have all those OA's, or did I have CA's and stop breathing? Because the mask pressure went flat.

What is also weird, is that my O2 sensor never showed any drops during these times, even though I had up to 35 second OA's.
Usually my O2 drops like a fly with any OA/CA. And my PR remained around 50bpm. 

[attachment=7028]
[attachment=7029]
[attachment=7023]
[attachment=7030]
[attachment=7031]
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Something went very wrong early morning - kept feeling pressure pulses waking me up
You were having bad leaks. During leak events, the data collected during and, if close together, those in between. The machine cannot accurately determine what is going on.

With the flat-ish tops to the leaks, I would say you were mouth breathing. The machine sends the pulses to try and determine what is going on. With your mouth open, it was sending more than you are used to.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Something went very wrong early morning - kept feeling pressure pulses waking me up
(06-27-2018, 01:00 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: You were having bad leaks. During leak events, the data collected during and, if close together, those in between. The machine cannot accurately determine what is going on.

With the flat-ish tops to the leaks, I would say you were mouth breathing. The machine sends the pulses to try and determine what is going on. With your mouth open, it was sending more than you are used to.

Thanks. Are you saying the OAs around 35sec could actually be mouth breathing? Because it looks like I wasn't getting any air at all. At least to me.

Last night was worse. I'll post a chart later that shows I had a lot of OAs in a row with no leaks. And my machine topped out at 14 pressure. And it still couldn't get past the oa. Not sure why I had blockage last night. Maybe it's my recessed chin Or tongue or something getting in the way. I wish I could get consistent good nights. Even with AHI 2.2 last night I feel sleepy and tired today.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
Ok how about these screenshots from last night?
I didnt have leaks during this time, but had a lot of OA's according to the machine. 25-49 second long.

[attachment=7057][attachment=7058]
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2018, 04:20 PM)MyronH Wrote: Ok how about these screenshots from last night?
I didnt have leaks during this time, but had a lot of OA's according to the machine. 25-49 second long.

They are most likely real.  Zoom in more showing 90 seconds to see for sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2018, 06:55 PM)tedvpap Wrote:
(06-27-2018, 04:20 PM)MyronH Wrote: Ok how about these screenshots from last night?

They are most likely real.  Zoom in more showing 90 seconds to see for sure.

Yeah they seem real. I was wearing my oximeter and it showed some massive O2 drops to lower 80's during these events.

I'd like to know I could avoid these obstructions completely? Would more starting pressure help to keep airway open the entire night? Problem is the machine couldn't open my airway even with 14 pressure. And sometimes the higher pressures create CA's. 

Other nights I seem fine at low pressures and I've been sleeping the same way on my back with an ergonomic pillow and to tilt my head back. I can't sleep on my side, due to it giving me palpitations and racing heart for some reason. 

I just got a dental appliance but I haven't been able to wear it long without making me gag. I can't wear it at night currently.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
How does the machine truly know that it is an OA and not a CA where I quit breathing?
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm no expert, believe me, but in reading the responses of some of the experts here to charts that look like your last two, it looks like your OA's are clustered, often indicating position-related.  As in, on your back....mebbe….probably.  Or, you tuck your chin as I do and that closes off your windpipe juuuuuuuuuusssstt enough.  You might wish to attempt the relief provided by a cervical collar.  Still, I'd wait for the 'good guys' to chime in over the next several hours before you go running off to try stuff or buy stuff.   Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
The mask pressure is calculated based on the pressure and flow rate (both measured at the machine). Mask pressure goes flat during an OA or CA since the air flow rate is not changing during the apnea event.

I believe that OA events are almost always accurately scored if the breathing shows sleep before and after. Look just prior to the event for signs of obstruction.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may want to consider also increasing your max pressure. you are tapping that line quite often during the OA events.

The CPAP sends out pulses when it thinks you have an apnea event. It then uses the "echo" of that pulse to determine if it is OA, CA, or HI.

So, one, try a pressure increase and perhaps increase the minimum. Your median inhale is 8. Try 7 and 15 or 16 for about ten days

Two, work on your leaks.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 115 9 hours ago
Last Post: Valtor
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 123 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 261 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 292 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  ENT / Morning Sleep r4robin 4 203 03-07-2024, 06:12 PM
Last Post: r4robin
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 160 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 402 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.