Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sometimes I physically wake up and gasp for air. Is this an Apnea sign?
Sometimes I physically wake up and gasp for air. Is this an Apnea sign?
I had terrible fatigue during the day for about 5 years now. I went to a lot of doctors without ever finding anything wrong. I also spend one night in a sleep lab without any findings. I am not sure if those 6h can lead to a conclusive answer. 
However I recently noticed that sometimes I wake up and gasp for air. Its quite a startling event. I recently started to notice these events and even remember them. Three months ago I bought an Apple Watch and it shows less than 91% readings about once per werk and less than 95% 4 nights per week. However the Apple Watch doesn’t measure continuously. From the data entries it looks like only once per hour. 

Can you get any inside out of this information?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sometimes I physically wake up and gasp for air. Is this an Apnea sign?
Waking up gasping for air is certainly a sign of possible sleep apnea. It sounds as though you're wondering whether you oxygen levels can determine whether you have apnea or not. Unfortunately, they can't, because people can have apnea without showing a lot of O2 desaturations. On the other hand, if you had prolonged and serious desats (below 90%), that would certainly point toward apnea.

But I'm confused. Your profile suggests you are already using a CPAP machine. Do you have one, and do you use it?
Post Reply Post Reply
You are right to be confused. I bought a machine to test it without getting an official diagnose. However I am completley honest here, after two nights I had enough and since then lacked the motivation to try it again. I tried it with my significant other being on vacation as to not disturb her, but with COVID she hasn´t left the house in months.  Pretty stupid. I will try it again soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do try it again! The Oscar data it will generate could be very useful to the experts here, and of course it'll be good to know whether you continue to have those gasping episodes while using the machine.

What were the big barriers for using it the first time around?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 514 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Still wake up using CPAP urachan 3 332 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: urachan
  Weird spikes and then I wake up tiredguy1 4 287 02-12-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Low AHI - Why do I wake up? jkjsdflljkasdf9 3 415 02-05-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  Why do I wake up after a few hours sleep? John Reston 6 490 01-28-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oscar Data Immediate Wake Ups - Tongue / Palate? ancheero 6 651 12-21-2023, 07:05 PM
Last Post: ancheero

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.