Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sometimes Waking Short of Breath while on BiPAP - EPAP, PS Settings?
RE: Sometimes Waking Short of Breath while on BiPAP - EPAP, PS Settings?
OSCAR to my knowledge doesn't record/display trigger or cycle sensitivities. I assume they are probably recorded by the machine but I don't know where you would find them or how to read the files that store this data.

When comparing mask pressure to flow rate to check sensitivity settings the values/amplitudes are not that important, you are mostly looking for any signs of premature trigger cycling or periods where there are two pressure waves per breath etc. Ideally you have one pressure wave in sync with each breath and consistently shaped breaths/ pressure waves. If making a change to a sensitivity setting starts disrupting this then you went to far.

With these settings more isn't necessarily better. It seems like you are getting decent results again and remedied the issue so I would probably stick with these settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
OSCAR doesn't currently display the Cycle or Trigger settings. I'm not sure why they got left out of SleepyHead, but it seems more people are using them, so I think they should be added.

Are there any other setting on a VAuto that should be displayed?
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ti Controls, Ti Min, and TiMax
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, I think I'm getting somewhere and it's thanks to the advice given in this thread. What I've done is gone back to MED trigger/Med Cycle for the last few days and my AHI is slowly dropping and CAs are basically gone. I upped PS to 3.8 and left EPAP min at 10.0

Last night I slept for 8.5 hours, only woke up four times and only once did I take time to put the mask on. I felt very good today. I'll leave the settings as they are for a few more days to see how my body adjusts and I'll try to put the mask back on asap after waking (apart from my nightly toilet stop).

Do you see anything I might tweak? Is the PS too high?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
"Ti Controls, Ti Min, and TiMax"

I don't use ResScan (6) anymore but going back to it, it does show Ti Max and Ti Min under Settings Tab and those values do appear in the generated reports, and must come from the SD card, right?
It also displays % Spontaneous cycled breaths and I:E ratios.

Can't find TS and CS settings there though.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2022, 03:46 AM)holden4th Wrote: OK, I think I'm getting somewhere and it's thanks to the advice given in this thread. What I've done is gone back to MED trigger/Med Cycle for the last few days and my AHI is slowly dropping and CAs are basically gone. I upped PS to 3.8 and left EPAP min at 10.0

Last night I slept for 8.5 hours, only woke up four times and only once did I take time to put the mask on. I felt very good today. I'll leave the settings as they are for a few more days to see how my body adjusts and I'll try to put the mask back on asap after waking (apart from my nightly toilet stop).

Do you see anything I might tweak? Is the PS too high?

That's good news, encouraging that you are feeling better, nice low AHI, but feeling better is more important. It seems the Medium TS and CS settings are agreeing with you. There are still some OA clusters causing your pressure spikes which led to arousals.

Are you tolerating the Min EPAP of 10? you seem to spend quite some time down around 10 cm H20 in the start of your sleep sessions, then something seems to happen to trigger increased pressures: you could inspect the Flow Limitations chart in OSCAR and see if there is something there triggering this, else it may be positional. 

Apart from that I can't see much else but I am sure you will get some more input soon.

Let's see if this develops into a trend.
Post Reply Post Reply
"Are you tolerating the Min EPAP of 10? you seem to spend quite some time down around 10 cm H20 in the start of your sleep sessions, then something seems to happen to trigger increased pressures: you could inspect the Flow Limitations chart in OSCAR and see if there is something there triggering this, else it may be positional."

Would it worth waiting a couple of days and then changing Min EPAP maybe by 1 point. Should I go up or down? I wear a soft cervical collar so it may not be positional however, I can't be sure.

Another good night last night but AHI rose into the 2s.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2022, 08:20 PM)holden4th Wrote: Another good night last night but AHI rose into the 2s.

Another good night is encouraging! Thumbs-up-2 I would suggest you try and stick it out for the rest of the week to give your body time to adjust and adapt after all the recent changes. You can expect some variation night to night.

Then post some more daily charts with FL included and also the overview chart so we can see if there is a true trend.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Optimal Settings on iBreeze BiPAP to reduce FL ewriter 2 41 3 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 184 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Bipap VAuto Settings Help Please jonoc99 5 154 04-12-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross Waking up anxious Gailofiowa 3 108 04-09-2024, 08:10 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 324 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 280 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 389 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.