Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DME charges for Humidifier on Integrated CPAP's
DME charges for Humidifier on Integrated CPAP's
Hello all, I had been in a dispute over a local DME charging me for a Humidifier on a ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto set. They had stated that back in 2008 they had a letter from one of the CPAP companies that made the first integrated units. They said that the proper way to bill it is to bill the CPAP code plus the humidifier code because they don't have a code for an integrated unit. Well it is 2015 and we still don't but you will see more of these units being made by other companies such as ResMed. My problem with this is the DME doesn't pay a separate charge for the humidifier when they buy them from the manufacturer so why should we. I know that these machines are more expensive but consider that an online retailer can sell you one for $883.00 and they are still making a good profit on it. The DME I went through charged me $2500.00 for the same unit which was reduced by insurance to I believe $1300.00. So plenty of room for profit. I see no reason other than greed that DME's would charge for a humidifier on top of that unless the humidifier is truly a separate part. I had to file complaints with the BBB and the Attorney Generals office to get it resolved. I have gotten word that the charge will be removed from my bill. If you are getting charged this fee don't stand for it. I don't like it when companies take advantage of sick people to thicken their wallets.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DME charges for Humidifier on Integrated CPAP's
(08-07-2015, 01:26 PM)Adoniscmj Wrote: Hello all, I had been in a dispute over a local DME charging me for a Humidifier on a ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto set. They had stated that back in 2008 they had a letter from one of the CPAP companies that made the first integrated units. They said that the proper way to bill it is to bill the CPAP code plus the humidifier code because they don't have a code for an integrated unit. Well it is 2015 and we still don't but you will see more of these units being made by other companies such as ResMed. My problem with this is the DME doesn't pay a separate charge for the humidifier when they buy them from the manufacturer so why should we. I know that these machines are more expensive but consider that an online retailer can sell you one for $883.00 and they are still making a good profit on it. The DME I went through charged me $2500.00 for the same unit which was reduced by insurance to I believe $1300.00. So plenty of room for profit. I see no reason other than greed that DME's would charge for a humidifier on top of that unless the humidifier is truly a separate part. I had to file complaints with the BBB and the Attorney Generals office to get it resolved. I have gotten word that the charge will be removed from my bill. If you are getting charged this fee don't stand for it. I don't like it when companies take advantage of sick people to thicken their wallets.

and hopefully insurance companies didn't pay them. if they did, then they really don't lose any money even if they don't get the client's portion of the humidifier fee.

glad you stood your ground.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DME charges for Humidifier on Integrated CPAP's
I agree, I tried to get my insurance company to investigate but they didn't want to bother. It is a hollow victory because I am sure they will continue these charges and it seems to be a common problem among DME's.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 90 Yesterday, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 348 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 246 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 888 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 503 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 422 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,219 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.