Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Son's CPAP
Son's CPAP
Good Day,

Could someone help me analyze my 18 year old son's CPAP data?

Thanks,

Soupy

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Son's CPAP
His machine does not treat events as well as a ResMed because it is slower to respond to events. So you need to raise the min pressure from 5 to 8. That should help most of his events.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Your son is using a Philips Dreamstation Auto CPAP with a range from 5.0 cm to 20.0 cm. Results are what I would characterize as acceptable with about 1 obstructive and 1 hypopnea event per hour. The flow limitations, RERA and snores we see are typical of a Philips machine that is set with the minimum pressure too low.  These machine increase pressure reluctantly and in response to events, and snores, while Resmed machine are much more proactive in increasing pressure to prevent those events.

As we look at this chart from 2/6, we see that the Philips increases pressure early to a flurry of hypopnea rising to about 9.0 cm where events diminish and the machine starts reducing pressure. As pressure falls to 8.0 at 01:15 we see a FL and a couple H events cause pressure to increase again, then pressure falls at 02:15 and stays low in spite of numerous VS2 snores and flow limits, until 04:00 when we see a flurry of events that drive the pressure to 12.0. by 04:15 which stabilizes the airway.  When pressure drops back to 8.0 we see additional minor obstructive events.

This chart is excellent for telling us that your son's minimum therapy needs are in the range of 8.0 to 12.0 cm, rather than 5 to 20.  Based on what I am seeing in this chart, he would experience much more restful sleep if his minimum pressure was set to 8.5 or 9.0 cm.  The maximum pressure does not require a change because, as you can see, this machine is very hesitant to increase pressure anyway.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=29703]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
Thanks for responding staceyburke and Sleeprider.  I have made the changes.  Fingers crossed it helps him.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.