Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Soon to start CPAP - Question on dehydration
RE: Soon to start CPAP - Question on dehydration
Thanks, Sleeprider, I'll try it tonight. If I have OAs, it still won't be as many as without the machine. And I will likely have some improvement in the aerophagia.
No energy to call the sleep doc today - I spent all my energy on another doctor, LOL. She signed me up for an upper GI endoscopy - Thursday!
Post Reply Post Reply
That should identify the root of the problem, and hopefully a path to improvement.

Our objective is to find a compromise between apnea and aerophagia. Neither has to be perfect, but making therapy comfortable will reduce OSA compared to untreated, and will hopefully not make aerophagia worse. The goal is to improve sleep quality and quantity.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've just figured out that my neck is too skinny for the headgear -- that's a good part of what's causing leaks. Going to put in some padding tonight. I'm so appreciating all the people who've offered info & suggestions: @Fats Drywaller, @Hydrangea, and Sleeprider. (BTW, how do you tag other people?)

Overall, the treatment does not dehydrate me any more than sleeping without it. I've got the humidifier on 8 and the temp on 83 F.
But ... my sinuses tend to go dry & constrict immediately after I start. It's inflammation -- daily, which is why I do sinus rinses. It feels just like stuffiness, but it can be triggered merely by eating (so it's probably GERD related). I'm thinking that this constriction is limiting my ability to inhale the prescribed 12 cm pressure, is that possible?

I'm using a lot of nasal spray these days.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-03-2018, 11:30 PM)picante Wrote: I've just figured out that my neck is too skinny for the headgear -- that's a good part of what's causing leaks.

I don't know the Dreamwear full-face variant, but I've used the Dreamwear nas-pil and nas-cushion, which share one headgear type (interchangeable nosepieces), and with that one it's important to use the correct size because otherwise the hollow frame might be bent out of shape, impeding the air flow. Is the Dreamwear f-f similar? If you were given the full mask package, there might be a sizing guide, probably a card with illustrations of the M frame on S, M, and L heads. The S or L frame has to be bought separately; the full package includes only the M.

Edited to add: See here thanks to c0mbe.
Post Reply Post Reply
picante :

It's said, healthy humidity in a room is 30%/50%. You say your house is at 40%, so could it be that your settings (8/83 ) are too high?  

Just saying, I had the same problem with blocked sinus Cold  & after different setup, my solution was from 4/81 down to 2/65 & got  

things back to normal. Smile Too much humidity will do that (congestion ), but that's me, so I don't know for you! 

Maybe you already tried around those settings, if not you could, nothing to lose.  

Bag-head snorybob.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Fats D, the Dreamwear FF has headgear in just one size. The DME gal told me I might have trouble with that, and I blithely said I'll put some padding in. Last night that did indeed work to minimize leaks. OTOH, the tighter the mask, the more it scrunches my mouth. It seems to push inward from all sides, which does keep my mouth shut more, but I can't lick my gums to moisten them anymore. That blows a sudden leak in my lips, and I get air down the esophagus.

Between that and the sinus constriction, it's pretty uncomfortable. The headgear and tubes are very comfy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Snorybob, thanks for the suggestion. I haven't messed with the humidity, other than to take it off auto and put it on 8. I was so miserably dessicated during the sleep studies I could hardly sleep, but different mask (Resmed F10, very leaky), different machine. That would be great if it helps!

As for temp, it's about 60-62 in the house by morning. This is Montana, see, and it's December, LOL. I can reduce it back to 81, the autosetting, and mess around from there. Sunday night I was so cold because the leaky mask was blowing on my face for 3 hours before I gave up and shut it down for the night.

And our house is insulated to the max, BTW. My husband was a carpenter for a decade before he went and got his engineering degree.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=9295]OK, I'm figuring out how to post a screenshot. The hardest part was finding the file after I hit F12

@Sleeprider: I know you said 7-10 range, but for some reason I put it on 8-10. And my aerophagia is much improved today. I actually ate eggs & toast mid-morning and some squash just now.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2018, 03:40 PM)picante Wrote: ... the tighter the mask, the more it scrunches my mouth. It seems to push inward from all sides, which does keep my mouth shut more, but I can't lick my gums to moisten them anymore. That blows a sudden leak in my lips, and I get air down the esophagus.

Between that and the sinus constriction, it's pretty uncomfortable. The headgear and tubes are very comfy.

I would try a different make and/or model. There are many masks out there, and big-time discomfort is a hint to switch. If you can get one from your DME at little or no out-of-pocket cost, that's the way to go. (Sometimes the DMEs have a 30-day initial period during which you're allowed to try more than one mask at no extra cost.) Also, apart from the DME, if you want a Philips Amara Gel full-face for $25, take a look at this:

https://www.sleepapnea.org/community/cpa...e-program/

They also have Resmed Quattro FX full-face at the same price, but it says that the headgear is available only in medium or large. Maybe that'd be worth trying also in size M, figuring on using the padding if necessary? Just a thought.

I can't remember the details now, but occasionally I've also seen a few makes & models of previous generations of mask for sale on Amazon for under $50, marked down from the usual $75-to-$100 range because they're no longer popular.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, that's a good link to have.
I can go back to the DME within a month and exchange for a ResMed F20 if I want. They don't have the F30 yet; she said it would be months.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 1,013 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,423 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  New CPAP user Question mcast10 2 317 01-07-2024, 10:59 AM
Last Post: mcast10
  Was there a question about hackers accessing your CPAP machine. I am experiencing thi DBlake 2 522 12-24-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 1,039 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  Need to start CPAP and feeling overwhelmed shipofools999 11 1,241 10-06-2023, 07:10 AM
Last Post: Fabby
  DreamStation Auto Initial Start-up WilliamZ 3 539 09-11-2023, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.