Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sore Inside Cheek
Sad 
Sore Inside Cheek
I use either a Simplus or Airfit FFM and a mouth guard on upper teeth. I tend to grind. I am having trouble with the strap pushing my cheek against my back molar and rubbing a sore. Of course sleeping on the side aggravates the problem. My dentist says we might try making soft upper & lower mouth guards to see if I could cushion the cheek away from the tooth?

I tend to motor boat through my lips so have stayed with the FFM. 

Has anyone ever had a similar problem?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sore Inside Cheek
Wearing a soft cervical collar allowed me to move form the Simplus to the Eson (nasal mask).  Worth a try IMO.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi. I am new to cpap one month I wear a night guard because if grinding and my dentist made me the bottom one . It is the hard one.  He had to make me a second one .  Also do you wear a full mask if nasal one sorry I am not familiar with masks I am wearing the p10 resmed mask
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2017, 08:00 AM)Novello1234 Wrote: Hi. I am new to cpap one month I wear a night guard because if grinding and my dentist made me the bottom one . It is the hard one.  He had to make me a second one .  Also do you wear a full mask if nasal one sorry I am not familiar with masks I am wearing the p10 resmed mask

Full Face Mask (FFM) - right now I am wearing the F&P Simplus. The problem I have is not so much the jaw dropping which a chinstrap would help but air escaping between my lips even though they are closed. I am going to take my mouth models into the dentist and see if he can figure a way to cushion the cheek.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2017, 10:11 PM)chill Wrote: Wearing a soft cervical collar allowed me to move form the Simplus to the Elon (nasal mask).  Worth a try IMO.
Do you recommend any particular brand? I worry it will act like a chinstrap whereas I need to keep my lips closed tight to keep from motor boating air out. Duct tape ... 

Thanks for the idea.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
I got mine from the local drug store, less than $10 IIRC.  It also keeps your airway more straight.  I am not sure what the leak preventing mechanism is exactly, but it made me keep my mouth sealed with my tongue (i.e. the way we should normally breathe).  A sealed mouth means no air pressure to leak out of our lips.    Taping addresses the symptoms, not the cause.

I am also wondering if you have the mask on too tight in a misguided effort to stop leaks.  That is the intuitive, but wrong approach.  The Simplus needs to be on fairly loose so that the seal will inflate against your face.  That is a lot looser than I thought at first.  You need to make vary small adjustments to find the sweet spot where it is tight enough to not slide all over your face, but loose enough to seal properly.  You also need to keep the seal and your face free of oil.  Wash it every day and wash your face just before bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll check the strap tightness and see if I can loosen it. I do wash at night and use a cotton liner. 

I am ordering the collar just to try that option with a nasal mask as well. 

Thank you for the suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry AirTouch N20 - digs into cheek - any solutions? Lilaq88 2 611 03-26-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Valtor
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 426 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [CPAP] Mold Inside CPAP Machine jimc77 11 3,790 01-06-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42
  New to Bleep Eclipse and caused a sore Kathy14225 5 989 10-31-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Products or solutions for cleaning the inside the machine jmordoj 2 776 07-01-2023, 04:13 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  [CPAP] Pressure sore, bad night with cpap CorgiGiraffe 5 858 06-22-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: YipeekiOH
  Nasal pillow pain inside my nose Bzimpfer 4 775 04-16-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: JJJ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.