Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sore around
RE: Sore around
Karla,

As Paula asked: How long have you been using your current mask? Ideally you should be replacing the mask every 3 to six months. If the current mask is older than that, order a new one and toss this one.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just got my cpap on Thursday and all is working great. I use a nasal mask and it fits well. My only issue is a little sore I have gotten between nostrils like it rubs or something. But I know when I put it on nothing is rubbing. Any suggestions??
Post Reply Post Reply
That's a common issue that fades with time. Meanwhile get some lanolin salve. You can find it in the baby care isle of the drug store. It's marketed as a salve for nursing mothers. You don't want to use petroleum jelly because it can react with and degrade the silicone in the nasal mask.

Just apply a small dab with a q-tip directly on the sore spot.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2013, 09:55 AM)Sleepster Wrote: That's a common issue that fades with time. Meanwhile get some lanolin salve. You can find it in the baby care isle of the drug store. It's marketed as a salve for nursing mothers. You don't want to use petroleum jelly because it can react with and degrade the silicone in the nasal mask.

Just apply a small dab with a q-tip directly on the sore spot.

Thank you for your help. Like i said its all comfy except for that.
Post Reply Post Reply
How can you tell if mask is to small or big?? I just went by what the dme said unless my sleep dr told them size mask.

They gave me part number 400444 which is petite size.

Wonder if the 400445 which is the standard size was to big or something.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fitting the mask involves some judgment. Likely they got you a size too small. Just call them up and tell them. Most insurance regulations and DME policies allow new patients to switch masks because it's so hard to get a good fit.

Keep both for awhile in case you need to switch back. I switched back and forth between nasal masks until I finally ended up with a nasal pillows mask. It's more comfortable for me, but others have the opposite experience. There's just no way to know until you try.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
One last thing. How do u know if its to tight or loose?? Do you just tighten strap until no leaks? What i been doing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Basically, yes. But it's important that you don't over tighten. That can cause more leaks.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Gotcha. Only time it leaks and it not much is like hen i stretch my face when its on and its only at top...
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2013, 03:36 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Basically, yes. But it's important that you don't over tighten. That can cause more leaks.

Can the (nasal) mask cause the jaw some discomfort? After about 1 1/2 months my lower jaw seemed stressed/tightened just like after dental work in which your mouth is held open for 2 hours or more. I did have a routine dential cleaning 4 days before I noticed the discomfort. I just figured it was from the cleaning. I went back to the dentist and everything appeared fine as far as him checking the bite, joints, etc. He had me take some IB for 4 days along with jaw excercises.

It been about 3 weeks and I can still feel the discomfort but it goes completely away by late evening. I've used the same headgear "setting" since the first week of February. The only difference in the gear is I washed it a couple of times (without changing the velcro settings) and I wonder if it shrank. This week I loosened the head gear about 1/2 inch or more all the way around. I now have frequent leaks but do not feel my jaw getting any better.

I have no history of grinding my teeth or clinching my jaw (that I know of) during the night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 478 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New to Bleep Eclipse and caused a sore Kathy14225 5 1,027 10-31-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Pressure sore, bad night with cpap CorgiGiraffe 5 911 06-22-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: YipeekiOH
  airfit P10 sore nose duece12345 13 7,289 02-19-2023, 12:07 AM
Last Post: getzall
  sore throat TaxFreeira 1 597 03-31-2022, 08:51 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP use & acute sore throat MCS2014 3 1,030 03-29-2021, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] New User - Sore under nose IntegrityWebDev 8 1,852 02-06-2021, 11:45 AM
Last Post: Coffee Man

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.