Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sore jaw since beginning cpap
Gross 
Sore jaw since beginning cpap
Would love to know if others have had this problem and if so what they did to fix it.

Since starting CPAP Sept 11th I've noticed that I awake with some jaw pain, more particularly on the right side. I think it is something to do with keeping my tongue at the roof of my mouth to sleep with the CPAP mask on, but not sure. I sort of feel like I am putting my jaw into a slightly unnatural position with my teeth apart, but still keeping my mouth closed.

I'm thinking maybe I should get something like the dentist has made me to wear at night as I have been a longtime nighttime teeth grinder. I won't wear the ones the dentist makes me as they are quite rigid and cut me where the inside edges rest on whatever bone that is inside of the lower teeth (can't remember what the dentist called it). Perhaps I'll get one similar to the mouthguards my kid wore while playing hockey.

Any ideas?
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sore jaw since beginning cpap
It sounds like you are doing a great job keeping your mouth closed, maybe too great a job. You might try a chin strap to off load some of the effort from your muscles. You already have some issue with grinding and you may be developing an issue with clinching your teeth that is making you jaw sore.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes I use a BrainPad athletic mouth protector (molds to upper and lower teeth)
That will keep your jaw lined up, prevent bruxing (grinding)
And it's less that $20

Worth a try. Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2015, 06:41 AM)cate1898 Wrote: Would love to know if others have had this problem and if so what they did to fix it.

Since starting CPAP Sept 11th I've noticed that I awake with some jaw pain, more particularly on the right side. I think it is something to do with keeping my tongue at the roof of my mouth to sleep with the CPAP mask on, but not sure. I sort of feel like I am putting my jaw into a slightly unnatural position with my teeth apart, but still keeping my mouth closed.

I'm thinking maybe I should get something like the dentist has made me to wear at night as I have been a longtime nighttime teeth grinder. I won't wear the ones the dentist makes me as they are quite rigid and cut me where the inside edges rest on whatever bone that is inside of the lower teeth (can't remember what the dentist called it). Perhaps I'll get one similar to the mouthguards my kid wore while playing hockey.

Any ideas?

Some people clench their jaw during the night. Go to WalMart and purchase the "Doctor's Night Guard" for under $22 (it's twice as expensive elsewhere). Mold it and use it. Bet you'll get relief.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2015, 09:49 PM)Doctor Wrote: Some people clench their jaw during the night. Go to WalMart and purchase the "Doctor's Night Guard" for under $22 (it's twice as expensive elsewhere). Mold it and use it. Bet you'll get relief.

Wish I'd seen your post before buying a mouthguard cause I bought the Walmart Equate brand POC which did work but moulded over my teeth leaving far too much in the middle making it awkward for my tongue.

It did help but not 100%, maybe 75?

I will go out to Walmart again and check out the Doctor's Night Guard to see if it will mould better than the no name brand.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep on being persistant!
Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Since cate1898 is headed back to Walmart for another dental guard, I started to wonder if we ever give thought about all the extra/necessary stuff we buy to help us with our therapy and comfort (Not counting actual machine)?

Snuggle hose covers, hose holders, new bed pillows, nasal sprays, nasal gels, distilled water, mouth/dental guards, eye protection, battery backup, adjustable beds, bed wedges, sleep aids, anxiety meds, etc.

I'm sure all the above cost way more than our CPAP machines!
All I see is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Bug-eyed
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
wow OpalRose you are so right! I only have $1000 lifetime coverage over the $645 the government supplies. So I'll be out of coverage for the rest of my life within months of buying my own machine for sure!! At least my insurance doesn't care where I buy it, Canada, US or online as long as the invoice has my name and address.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 427 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Anxiety/elevated HR at beginning of night Jskier 1 214 02-11-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Cpap for 4 month, worked in the beginning but not much now Killiane69 6 606 01-23-2024, 07:41 AM
Last Post: Killiane69
  New to Bleep Eclipse and caused a sore Kathy14225 5 989 10-31-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  High flow limit at beginning of night TiredTom111 3 506 09-12-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Pressure sore, bad night with cpap CorgiGiraffe 5 861 06-22-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: YipeekiOH
  airfit P10 sore nose duece12345 13 7,181 02-19-2023, 12:07 AM
Last Post: getzall

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.