Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sore nasal opening
Sore nasal opening
Good morning all, I am new to the cpap and to this forum. This was my second morning of cpap use and I woke up with my nasal openings sore, along with area under my nose. I have a mustache and thinking of shaving it off until I get used to device. Im using the resmed swift fx nasal pillow, i'm thinking i had it to tight but looking for any suggestions. Thank you, one-eye
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sore nasal opening
I use the swift FX as well. I originally started with the large pillows (as sized by my DME) and had terrible issues with sore nostrils. It was difficult to change to the medium because I felt that I just couldn't get enough air through them, but after I got used to it I was very happy, the soreness went away and life is good again.

My wife experiences the same type of pain when she runs out of water and gets dry air. Perhaps try an increase in humidification level?

The mask should fit just tight enough to avoid leaks. Resmed has a pretty good video on mask fit at -
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/swift_...s&sec=true
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board, one-eye!

I rub a small amount of extra virgin olive oil where my nasal pillows touch my nostrils right before bedtime (I get really dry skin in winter months).

Kevin gave a good video link there. Also, might want to read Jeff's post on obtaining a perfect mask fit, HERE.

My bet is you're wearing the mask way too tight. It's designed to "float" against your skin, not be smashed up against your skin by force.

And, yep, you're going to get a better seal if you get rid of any facial hair near where the mask seals against your skin.

Sleep-well
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome one-eye.. Mac & SS have extended some good possibilities to you for comfort. My take is that you may have the mask a tad to tight or the pillow size could be changed to the next size.
I have used pillows for many years and they seem to work well for me. I think you will find that you will like them also once you get the comfort level.
Also, just being your second night and the strangeness of a foreign object inserted into your nose may be the cause also.
My 2 cents.....don;t shave the "stash". Keep the manhood, if possible. Big Grin If the pillows are inserted comfortably into the nose so that there is nothing by latex and skin it should work just fine. I have one and the pillows are not bothered at all by it. Mine may not be as thick as yours however. Now a nasal mask is a different story.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2012, 10:50 AM)JudgeMental Wrote: My 2 cents.....don;t shave the "stash". Keep the manhood, if possible. Big Grin

I wore a mustache ever since I was in high school. In 1988 I shaved it off.... and whenever my wife would look at me, she'd laugh and giggle... that lasted for two weeks straight, every stinkin' day.Oh-jeez

If you do decide to "lose the stash", be prepared for unbridled ridicule... it's just one of those things. Confused
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2012, 11:13 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(03-02-2012, 10:50 AM)JudgeMental Wrote: My 2 cents.....don;t shave the "stash". Keep the manhood, if possible. Big Grin

I wore a mustache ever since I was in high school. In 1988 I shaved it off.... and whenever my wife would look at me, she'd laugh and giggle... that lasted for two weeks straight, every stinkin' day.Oh-jeez

If you do decide to "lose the stash", be prepared for unbridled ridicule... it's just one of those things. Confused

hey thanks all for the advice. i'll try one at a time till it all feels good. one-eyeThinking-about
hey thanks all for the advice. i'll try one at a time till it all feels good. one-eye Thanks also learning how to replyLaugh-a-lot
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2012, 11:13 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: If you do decide to "lose the stash", be prepared for unbridled ridicule... it's just one of those things. Confused

Aw c'mon. It's not that bad. It took me a long time to decide to shave my 20-year-old beard. Electric razor technology has come a long way in that time. I'm so glad I got rid of it. People said it made me look younger.

It sure is easier to blow my nose!Smile
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2012, 09:44 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: I rub a small amount of extra virgin olive oil where my nasal pillows touch my nostrils right before bedtime (I get really dry skin in winter months).

Have you tried lanolin cream? I've been using that for a couple of weeks now and it works pretty well.

Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2012, 04:44 PM)Sleepster Wrote: It sure is easier to blow my nose!Smile

Probably a lot less messy, too. Too-funny

A GrossPerson once Wrote:.
Grossed-out Wifey: "What's that in your mustache?"
Snarky Hubby: "Hmm... Can't tell you what it is, but I can tell you what it's snot".

Quote:Have you tried lanolin cream? I've been using that for a couple of weeks now and it works pretty well.

Hmm... I'll have to try that. Thanks!

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
SS...the smell of olive oil might have me getting up in the midddle of the night and making a pot of spaghetti.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pressure vs. Airflow Burst for Nasal Opening GoodSleepHunting 0 107 04-04-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 478 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 948 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New to Bleep Eclipse and caused a sore Kathy14225 5 1,026 10-31-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows Bostonsnow 6 1,213 07-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [CPAP] Pressure sore, bad night with cpap CorgiGiraffe 5 910 06-22-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: YipeekiOH
  Nasal Dilators st1800e 9 1,489 06-19-2023, 07:16 AM
Last Post: st1800e

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.