Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DreaStation VS AirSense
RE: DreaStation VS AirSense
All is good everyone.

For the record, I do not have the AirSense user manual. I am still using the AirSense as a trial. However, Resmed's site says the device has "wireless connectivity". If the device has a cellular modem vs a normal or wifi modem, it must connect to a service provider eg. Sprint, AT&T, Verizon. I don't see how else it can connect. I doubt Resmed has it's own band of cellular towers. lol.

Edit: I did some more digging and it appears the device does RX and TX via cellular in North America: http://www.resmed.com/us/en/commercial-p...-faqs.html
Quote:Q. My patient lives in an area with poor cellular coverage. How can I access their compliance data?

A. If your patient lives in an area with poor cellular coverage, you can still access their compliance data. Simply advise your patient to return their SD card so you can upload the data to AirView™.

Q. My patient will be traveling overseas. Will I still be able to access their compliance data?

A. While your patient is overseas with their AirSense™ 10 or AirCurve™ 10 device, data may not be able to be transmitted wirelessly. In that case, the device will store compliance and efficacy data and transmit it when the patient returns to the US or Canada, is back in an area with cellular coverage, and the device is powered on.

However, there is no information on how Resmed is able to connect to a cellular provider. Cellular providers don't give away their service. With the exception of 911 calls, there is a cost. I am very intrigued by this. However, I will post in the other thread on this matter: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...less-modem
Post Reply Post Reply
the dme and doctors pay for it, through resmed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2016, 01:16 AM)Hmm888 Wrote: However, there is no information on how Resmed is able to connect to a cellular provider. Cellular providers don't give away their service.

Many companies have data agreements with cell phone companies. The particulars of how they pay probably vary, and probably aren't public. For instance, many automobiles have OnStar and similar systems that provide you real time data, emergency assistance, online diagnostics, etc. These usually use the normal cell phone network. They like to call the modern cell phone data network "wireless" and pretend it's something better than "cell phone," but it's just ordinary digital cell phone service.

There are car systems, various location tracking services, even automatic pet tracking collars. Most through the normal cell phone data system. (2G/3G/4G/LTE/BSG/LMNOPG/etc.)

Presumably, the services that use small amounts of data, and don't have a phone function pay a lot less than an individual cell phone user. There may even be regulations about the rates they can charge, but it's very hush hush. You can bet they're not paying a lot per month.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
For those considering either of these two models.

Let me share something interesting. As mentioned previously, I am now on a trial with the AirSense10. Previously, I was using the Dreamstation. My home machine is also a legacy Respironics.

With the same settings for all the machines. Both Respironics (old and new) give me about the same readings for AHI. However, with AirSense, the readings are much, much better ie. my AHI is a lot lower with their machine using the same settings.

I don't why there is such a discrepancy. My guess is that perhaps the Resmed machine does a better job of predicting events and responding to them. Then again, maybe Resmed's scoring is inaccurate?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2016, 03:27 AM)archangle Wrote: Presumably, the services that use small amounts of data, and don't have a phone function pay a lot less than an individual cell phone user. There may even be regulations about the rates they can charge, but it's very hush hush. You can bet they're not paying a lot per month.

Plus, I would think, unlike a voice call, communication doesn't need to occur in real time. If the network is busy processing other signals, the data from a CPAP machine can just be ordered to be resent later, or captured now and sent to the recipient at a later time when the network is less busy. It wouldn't take up much bandwidth, anyway, so it doesn't cost much. Plus, there's that volume discount thing!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2016, 09:28 PM)Hmm888 Wrote: For those considering either of these two models.

Let me share something interesting. As mentioned previously, I am now on a trial with the AirSense10. Previously, I was using the Dreamstation. My home machine is also a legacy Respironics.

With the same settings for all the machines. Both Respironics (old and new) give me about the same readings for AHI. However, with AirSense, the readings are much, much better ie. my AHI is a lot lower with their machine using the same settings.

I don't why there is such a discrepancy. My guess is that perhaps the Resmed machine does a better job of predicting events and responding to them. Then again, maybe Resmed's scoring is inaccurate?

I had the opposite experience. I had an AHI of 2 or 3 when I used a ResMed S8 AutoSet II. I'm now getting 0.2 with a Respironics System One Auto. It all depends on the individual.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2016, 11:40 PM)big_dave Wrote: I had the opposite experience. I had an AHI of 2 or 3 when I used a ResMed S8 AutoSet II. I'm now getting 0.2 with a Respironics System One Auto. It all depends on the individual.
Years ago, I did a trial with my existing machine and another Resmed machine, I believe it was the Resmed Autoset Spirit. At that time, I did bit better with my Respironics than the Resmed. Perhaps Resmed changed their algorithm with the S10?

Post Reply Post Reply
"However, there is no information on how Resmed is able to connect to a cellular provider. Cellular providers don't give away their service. With the exception of 911 calls, there is a cost."

I'm taking possesion of an A10 on Tuesday. I asked this same question of my DME supplier. She told me that they pay Resmed $18 for lifetime cellular service when the unit is issued. This still sounds a little too low to me, and is probably responsible for some of the initial cost of the unit. This is the same type of service used by my alarm company that allows me to set the alarm from my cellphone. It takes very little bandwidth to send this amount of data and is good business for the cell network.

Post Reply Post Reply
Reliabilty
What is the reliability like with the AirSense 10?

I know it is a bit premature to determine this with the Dreamstation but my trial unit is acting a bit funny. Sometimes the display won't turn off for a very long time even when smartsense is activated. Others have reported noise issues too with the machine, largely attributed to the seals wearing out on the humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2016, 09:00 PM)vsheline Wrote: Personally, compared to 'Flex which is Philips Respironics' style of pressure reduction during exhalation, I prefer the feel of EPR, which is ResMed's style of pressure reduction during exhalation. Unlike A-Flex, ResMed EPR does not drop the pressure early, while we are still trying to finish the last little bit of our inhalation.

Thank you for stating this. I use a Resmed machine and was recently tested on BPAP to see if that would work better. The Respironics machine kept cutting off before I was finished inhaling. Really annoying. The tech didn't know how to fix it. This tells me it's a function of the machine. That's a relief.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 621 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,188 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  [Equipment] Need help choosing between Airsense 10 C2C or regular Airsense 10/11 dabrat76 10 1,633 03-16-2023, 08:20 AM
Last Post: dabrat76
  Airsense 11: SmartStart is Off, but Airsense keeps turning on by itself kklein 4 3,494 03-09-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: kklein
  DOWNLOADING DATA FROM AIRSENSE 10 to AIRSENSE 11 Sleepyguy39 1 1,117 10-21-2022, 07:24 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
Question [CPAP] Airsense 10 without wireless vs Airsense 11 sleepysurgeon 12 3,415 07-14-2022, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Horseshoez
  Wait for ResMed AirSense 11? Or buy AirSense 10 now? dk2011 25 19,755 01-24-2022, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.