Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sore throat
Sore throat

New to CPAP - 1 month today.  Getting a dry, sore throat after 2 hours ON.  So bad that I bought TheraBreath Dry Mouth lozenges.  They help but I have to use one every 2 hours or my throat is so dry that it hurts.  Any advice?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sore throat
I'm very sorry to hear that, tlippy, especially after the "happy wife" report you made.  Are you using the humidifier?  I don't have problems that require it but I've read that it helps a lot of folk with dry mouth.  Dunno 'bout sore throat, but I expect it would help relieve that as well.

Maybe posting some OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/b] charts would help the gurus give some better coaching.
Post Reply Post Reply
YES on humidifier.  In fact I'm using almost all of a full container each session
Post Reply Post Reply
Try Xylimelts. They help keep your throat moist. You can pick them up on Amazon.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tlippy,

There is a product called XyliMelts.  They are discs that stick to teeth or gums.  I’ve read that some here can get through most of the night using these.  It’s worth a try.  I know they can be purchased on Amazon, and I assume many other places.

It also looks like you have some leaking going on.  Check to see if your mask is fitting properly.

It is possible that you are mouth breathing?  Even with a Full Face mask, mouth breathing can cause your throat to be dry and sore.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ditto on the leaks, and on the strong likelihood that your machine is managing to blow a portion of its flow output through your mouth.  I haven't had a dry mouth in months, now that I am five full months done in my own therapy.  Early, though, and until I controlled the mouth flow, I certainly had some very unpleasant night-time awakenings.

You are already running through a full reservoir of water each night.  I take three nights to run through the same volume, although our starting volumes might differ.  Yet, and this is typically the case, those who can't manage their mouth breathing almost always report this unpleasant outcome, despite the maxed out humidity settings.

If you aren't using one already, you have these three options, and I think most would place them in this order of intrusiveness:

a. a suitably sized and quality cervical collar (medical supply store, amazon, WalMart, etc...);

b. a chin strap of some kind that at least keeps your jaw closed, but that may also have to cover your lips; and/or

c. use a suitable tape, say a surgical tape (3M NexGen at your pharmacy) that is about one full inch wide, cut to length and placed fully over your lips.

I know nothing about the lozenges.  I tape.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.  I'll try your suggestions
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 111 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 478 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New to Bleep Eclipse and caused a sore Kathy14225 5 1,026 10-31-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Weird neck/throat movements. Is there a term for this? Rebdr 1 329 10-19-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: Rebdr
Video Throat vibration -- is this usual? Clarke40 0 511 09-10-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Clarke40
Question [CPAP] Sudden Increase in AHI w/inflamed tonsils and/or strep throat jazoon 0 606 08-06-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: jazoon
  [CPAP] Pressure sore, bad night with cpap CorgiGiraffe 5 910 06-22-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: YipeekiOH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.