Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sore throat with sleep apnea it
Sore throat but not from CPAP
I have had a sore throat consistently for about 6 months.  I've had a CAT scan done of my neck which was negative.  I've had an endoscopy which showed some acid reflux, but I take omeprozole.  So my last resort was to have a sleep study which my AHI number was 28.

I've been using the CPAP machine 2 weeks.  I was curious if sleep apnea (before it was diagnosed) caused anyone else to have a contant sore throat?  It's very frustrating. I have read that during an apnea, contents from your stomach can come up into your throat which may cause a sore throat.

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Thank you!
Thanks   
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sore throat but not from CPAP
Reflux can cause a sore throat as you said, but it will take a while to heal, Give it time.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had also suggested post nasal drip in another thread. It is a common so source of a sore throat and other problems with CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Although I don't have a sore throat per se, I have had swallowing issues that I've dealt with for decades. Times when I had to go to the ER because my esophagus became blocked. 

My CPAP Therapy hasn't helped it, not has it made it any worse. My last trip to the ER was in early May. One of my doctor's assistants told me to try some Esomeprazole Magnesium (20 mg. tab). I buy it @ Walmart OTC. 

I haven't had an "episode" since the last trip to the ER. For me, that is indeed remarkable. Before taking the med, it seemed like the longest period that I could go was 3-5 months. 

I haven't even had anything close to what I would consider an episode. I'm hoping to see one full year of no problems. 

I'm not at the point yet thinking that I might have kicked the problem via the medication. But.....I'm hoping.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Sore throat with sleep apnea it
Has anyone had a sore throat from sleep apnea before it was treated?
Thanks   
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sore throat with sleep apnea it
Merged you last thread with this existing thread as it is the same question.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your sore throat (before Cpap use) is more than likely due to GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) as you state in your first post that you are taking omeprazole.  

Some random information from google search:

"Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) occurs when stomach acid frequently flows back into the tube connecting your mouth and stomach (esophagus). This backwash (acid reflux) can irritate the lining of your esophagus."

"GERD and Sleep Apnea: Which Causes the Other?
Sleep apnea and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) are two conditions that appear unrelated. However, research shows a correlation between the two."

"About 60 percent of people with sleep apnea have chronic acid reflux, also known as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Acid reflux occurs when the lower esophageal sphincter remains open and gastric acid backflows into the esophagus. Common symptoms of GERD include heartburn, chest pain, a sour taste in the mouth and bad breath. However, it is possible to have GERD and not experience symptoms at all."
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your response. I've also read that in a study they had placed some kind of sensors in people's esophagus and it showed that when they had an apnea a lot of times acid from the stomach would come up through the esophagus into the throat so I'm hoping the longer I use this machine the better my throat will feel.
Thanks   
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 237 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 292 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.