Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sores on the nasal bridge from Resmed Mirage Quattro full face mask
Sores on the nasal bridge from Resmed Mirage Quattro full face mask
I recently had an epiphany concerning the Mirage Quattro causing sores on the nasal bridge. I used the subject mask for several years with no redness or sores. I could not understand why some people were having the problem. I thought that it must be sensitivity of the skin to something in the silicone seal material.

Early this year, I decided to take advice that I had seen in several articles concerning taming full face masks and particularly the Mirage Quattro. Where I had normally adjusted the forehead stabilizer to an index of 1 or less, I adjusted it all the way out to 3.0 without getting any leakage. This moves the silicone seal away from the nasal bridge. I used it at this setting for a number of months and after a while started getting red marks and a sore on my nasal bridge.

I tried using lanolin on it and that helped. I also tried using circular cotton pads in conjunction with the lanolin and that helped even more. Then I started thinking back to what had changed that might have caused the difference. It appeared that the change of the forehead stabilizer adjustment from 1.0 to 3.0 might have caused the problem.

I changed the adjustment back to 1.0 and the irritation problem on the bridge of the nose went away. It took a little while but I no longer even get red marks on the bridge of my nose.

There is another fix that has worked for some and that involves reshaping the stiffener in the cushion slightly. This is accomplished by carefully cutting about 1/8” off the end of the stiffener at the nasal bridge and restoring the original contour.

This is just to let people know that there are some solutions available for the problem of sores on the bridge of the nose.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sores on the nasal bridge from Resmed Mirage Quattro full face mask
I know nothing about that mask, but can't help but wonder if pulling the silicone away at the #3 setting leaves it more "room" for it to move when you breathe. Perhaps irritating the bridge of your nose. I would have expected that less pressure would have been "better".

Interesting experiment. It seems to reinforce that these mask are very sensitive to "strap" pressure adjustments.
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi PaytonA.

I use the same mask. I began with this equipment about 10 weeks ago.
During my second week I good sore in my cheeks and a small blister in one of them. My machine supplier gave me some kind of cotton gaskets to use between the silicon seals and my cheeks. I began to use it, but it was very difficult to put it in place and even more difficult to keep it there when I was sleeping. Two weeks later I got a piece of cotton with an elastic that was easier to use, but still it wasn't good enough. I began to care more about the cleaning of the mask, hose, water tank and my own face: I wipe the mask every day with disinfectant wipes and one/week I clean the mask with warm water and dish soap with disinfectant. I clean the hose and the water tank with warm water and dish soap with disinfectant one/week. In all cases I use a lot of warm water to rinse the soap. I pay special attention not to wet the end of the hose with the electrical connector for the heater. About my face I take a shower every day, about 2 hours before lay to sleep. I shave every day. I use an alcohol free after shave with out perfum.
Two weeks after I was heal of my checks, I quit using any kind of extra stuff in the mask. Until now I don't have any problem. A very important tip that works nice for me is: I never touch the setting of the straps or the forehead setting
I find out the settings who happen to got a very low amount of leak (ResMed software says that I am good) and are not tight enough to make me sick with the silicon. I never change these settings. Every month I got from my supplier a new silicon mask seal and I change it.
Still I am not 100% comfortable with the mask, but that's only a small amount of bad stuff compare with all the good stuff that I got with the use of the mask.
Ralph.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2016, 11:05 AM)PaytonA Wrote: There is another fix that has worked for some and that involves reshaping the stiffener in the cushion slightly. This is accomplished by carefully cutting about 1/8” off the end of the stiffener at the nasal bridge and restoring the original contour.

[Image: useless.gif]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2016, 03:20 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(08-03-2016, 11:05 AM)PaytonA Wrote: There is another fix that has worked for some and that involves reshaping the stiffener in the cushion slightly. This is accomplished by carefully cutting about 1/8” off the end of the stiffener at the nasal bridge and restoring the original contour.

[Image: useless.gif]

For someone as cerebral as you, pics should not be necessary. Big Grin Big Grin

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
For anyone interested in the original post having to do with trimming the stiffeners, it is at, http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...6#pid62766. I will see if I can not come up with some illustration for those of the visual persuasion. I am not good with this artsy-fartsy kinda stuff but I will give it a shot.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a similar mark from my Eson nose mask, and it does get quite red and sore some days.

I've just had a look at my mask, but can see no way to adjust the stabilizer angle to alter the pressure on the bridge of my nose.

I'm open to other suggestions of how to adjust it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2016, 04:51 PM)Ockrocket Wrote: I have a similar mark from my Eson nose mask, and it does get quite red and sore some days.

I've just had a look at my mask, but can see no way to adjust the stabilizer angle to alter the pressure on the bridge of my nose.

I'm open to other suggestions of how to adjust it.

There are only 2 or 3 masks with the stabilizer bar adjustment. Does your Eson mask have the inflatable cushions? If so, does it have the double silicone seal with stiffeners inside the inflatable seal?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
No, it has only a single seal and no stiffeners. I have a pretty tender nose and the Eson does not bother me. Perhaps you have it too tight on the top?
Post Reply Post Reply
The eson stabilizer should not touch your forehead if the cushion is the right size and its adjusted correctly. I can slip my little finger between my stabilizer and forehead,
That roll fit cushion is there for a reason. Give it some play to do its thing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 99 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 520 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 321 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,976 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,078 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,597 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.