Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sorry For This Recall Question
Sorry For This Recall Question
I didn't follow the 100 page thread on the Dream Station recall. But I did read somewhere on another thread about the 'out gassing' happening when the machine is still new. Is this true? So the danger is only when the machine is first used in the weeks and months after? Then any potential out gassing is not longer a threat? Or can it happen anytime years later? Out gassing is like buying a new car, you smell all the glues and materials during construction, or painting your house, the paint out gasses in the first few weeks, then no smell? Please explain.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sorry For This Recall Question
The problem exists from day one, and progressively gets worse as the foam breaks down, and particles get released into the air stream and eventually get transported to your lungs.  Imho, the outgassing is a concern, but that is not the full extent.  The foam is a known carcinogen, so I would highly recommend not running with the thought that it gets safer with age.  The outgassing is just the tip of a very large iceberg.

I would highly recommend skimming that long thread, perhaps just the last 20 or so pages.
Post Reply Post Reply
I dont remember what my DS smelled like when it was new, but if it did have a bit of chem smell I would have thought it was that 'new car' thing and surely was safe.. I mean, its a medical device right ?
But, as you will find as you research it more, the foam does continue breakdown. It apparently accelerates with ozone (soclean) exposure.
My DS was breaking down (foam in airway) without any soclean on or before the 2.5 year mark. It did make an odd "howl" for a while which eventually stopped, and there was a few periods of odd smells which went away. Foam burning in the blower cage ?

Philips did us a disservice when they documented their "test" with a mere 168 hours of run time.. which is about 3 weeks of use. So we have no way of knowing what exactly comes out as the machine ages, other than many documented cases of foam bits found.
Post Reply Post Reply
Similar to the plastics and foams in a car when it is new. A brand new car has that 'new car' smell. That smell is basically the plastics and foams off-gassing. The haze you frequently see on the inside of windshields is a by-product of the off-gassing and like the 'new car' smell, the haze is less over time until it's not noticeable or not as much so. The peak of the off-gassing is when it is new and does fall as time passes. The foam in a DS1 would exhibit a similar decrease in off-gassing as it ages. Environmental factors may exacerbate the off-gassing or use of ozone cleaners. If you have furniture or a mattress in the house with foam, it may have had an odor when new while it off-gassed. Furniture and mattresses are much larger than the foam in a DS1. I'm less concerned about the DS1 foam than I am other VOC's or other crap that may be in the air at any given time. Your milage may vary and what you do is your own decision. I've not used a SoClean or other ozone device and my bedroom is usually neither humid or hot.
Paint and varnish also off-gas as they cure and the odor and off-gassing diminish over time.
Post Reply Post Reply
According to a July 8th report released by Philips, the gassing was only detected within the first few days.  However, they caution the gas emissions have "not been fully characterized" yet.   The breakdown of the foam was a problem with aging, and some toxic or carcinogenic compounds may possibly become a danger if the particles are inhaled.  Here is a link to the report.  It would be nice if they would release some updated data, since this report is pretty old now.

https://www.philips.com/c-dam/b2bhc/mast...821-r6.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,066 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,255 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  [Equipment] Mask recall? rltarbu 8 465 01-28-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Sad Dreamstation Recall Replacement issues jimbob123 4 460 01-18-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New DS2 from recall, what about old DS? NoSnoreDave 10 1,541 01-09-2024, 11:09 PM
Last Post: jtmAZ
  Phillips Recall Question... jonesresidence 9 603 01-08-2024, 05:22 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  ResMed F30i recall (for warnings about magnets) NelsonM 7 990 12-27-2023, 03:18 PM
Last Post: alpharomeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.