Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sorry to start new thread but need nap
RE: Sorry to start new thread but need nap
Dammit now I'm scared - my frigging tidal volumes are enormous :Sad.  I know I have big lungs but cripes Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
Bump so Sleeprider and or Gideon and or others can see this.

Also question:  how does the BIPAP know the difference between an obstructive and a central apnea if there is no chest sensor to measure breathing effort?  Just puzzling to me...

I'm assuming that I'm going to need to bump my pressure up since it's not resolving my apneas?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2023, 04:12 PM)Morgannon Wrote: How do I cut out most of that data and leave the part where I was sleeping?

You can't. The machine doesn't know if you are awake or sleep, and you can't remove part of the data.

Most of the Apneas look somewhat positional. Meaning that you were laying in a way that was obstructing your airflow.

How do you sleep, on your side or back? How many pillows do you use? Thinner, less firm, one pillow instead of two works best. You have to watch that however you sleep, your head is not tucking into your chest. This will effectively cut your air off, sort of like kinking a hose.

Bumping pressure up if it's positional won't help.

Is there a reason you're not using the VAuto mode?

Hopefully, others will respond.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Opal hello!  

I'm not using the VAuto because I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea and prescribed BIPAP mode.  My sleep doctor while nice hasn't really prioritized my comfort.  I've been doing this on my own for a while now.  And I'm going to listen to everything you guys all say.

Should I try the Vauto mode?  And if so what settings should I put it on?

Thank you!

Morgannon
Post Reply Post Reply
I was just taking some time to review your prior threads.  With the "possible" diagnosis of COPD, ALS, Asthma..... I'm not exactly sure how to advise you.  

I wish you would have stuck to one thread when Sleeprider was advising you.  

Until he swings around again, If it were me, I would set the VAuto for comfort.  Don't worry over the apneas right now.

Try VAuto Mode

Max Ipap 18 (It won't go there unless it needs to)
Min Epap 8
Ps 4
T1 Max 2.0 s
T1 Min 0.3s
Trigger  High (To help with centrals)
Cycle  Med (Default setting for now)

Be sure to watch how you sleep, so you don't end up with positional apnea.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Opal!  I have an update to my condition.  I still don't have a diagnosis yet but ruled out are:

Return of childhood asthma
COPD
ALS

Most likely Dx is multiple sclerosis or another disease that is preferentially weakening exhalation muscles.

So I'm in a bit of a sticky wicket because I normally could handle high epap but I can't now. I'm hoping with time and treatment I can regain lost exhalatory muscle strength.  

Morg
Post Reply Post Reply
I will work on sleeping on my right side.  Thank you again Opal!

Also I did all of your settings but the min t1 because I've noticed I like a slower inhale.  I had it at four seconds.  Can I keep this setting or maybe change it to 3.0?
Post Reply Post Reply
If you feel you need longer to inhale, then set it to 3.

Also, if you feel that Epap 8 is too high, take it down to 6. See what feels best.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2023, 04:22 PM)Morgannon Wrote: Dammit now I'm scared - my frigging tidal volumes are enormous :Sad.  I know I have big lungs but cripes Sad

Your tidal volumes are the same as mine so not enormous. lol.  I promise you I don't have big lungs or any substantial lung capacity others don't.  I'm very confused how you would get so much volume in if docs think you have a possible nueromuscular issue.  Doesn't make sense.  The opposite is usually true.  Well I did read studies about IVAPS for NMD patients with low EPAP settings to lessen effort of exhalation. Any spirometry tests done to affirm a diagnosis of weakened lung muscles? Lumbar puncture with diagnostic testing?   It seems like the doctors are literally jumping all over, but they know a heck of a lot more than I ever will!  I do have a lot of familiarity with NMDs though as years back I went through a ton of testing all the way up to multiple muscle biopsies. This is a sleep apnea forum though so I won't get outside the boundaries. I'm sure they are many groups that can offer much better insight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations Daniel on finally getting some sleep with your machine and posting OSCAR chart!  Huge progress.  Pat yourself on the back.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cant breathe as soon as I start to doze off and wake up gasping for air a bit nicchamilton 9 153 1 hour ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  ResMed S11 Auto-Start inconsistent Cam12 3 79 5 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,968 364,194 Yesterday, 08:53 AM
Last Post: btreger
  secunix Therapy Thread secunix 0 85 04-25-2024, 02:30 AM
Last Post: secunix
  lisaistired - Therapy Thread and Questions lisaistired 21 1,022 04-24-2024, 01:59 PM
Last Post: dormivi
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 41 1,357 04-23-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Treatment] The Fox's Therapy Thread (plus help with Dad) The Fox 3 108 04-23-2024, 10:09 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.