Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

"Sort of" a new member!
"Sort of" a new member!
Hello everyone.
I wasn't sure where to post this, as I'm not sure which topic it comes under, so apologies in advance if this is the wrong place for my post.

I "joined" last year, around October '16 I think, posting about blood co2 retention and acidity.

To cut a long, complex, quite boring story, short, after another month or so in hospital (including Christmas and New Year; if it weren't for my awesome family and friends visiting, it would have been the worst ever!!), and two bouts of severe pneumonia, I have now officially been diagnosed as having: Sleep Apnea, caused by my scoliosis, which limits the action of my diaphragm during REM sleep, and, as before, also causing blood co2 retention.

So, I will soon be joining many of you, as I am awaiting assessment for a home bipap machine. My assessment is on 19th January. Until then, the doctors have agreed, that I will have an Arterial Blood Gas test tomorrow (5th) and if it's ok, I can go home and await my bipap assessment, so long as I return to the hospital twice a week for another ABG test to ensure things are ok. If the results look dodgy, I will be re admitted so I can go on bipap in hospital.
The long wait is because I am going to - I'm told - one of the best centers for this subject in the U.K., if not most of Europe, in London. So please expect updates, questions, etc, as I slowly get my head around things!!

Happy New Year to all and I look forward to being more "active" in these forums, once I get "bipap-ed up"!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: "Sort of" a new member!
Welcome back, and sorry for the holiday setback. Bilevel machines can use pressure support to encourage better ventilation and gas exchange. This can be a real help to someone with physical issues that restrict lung volume or diaphragm movement. We don't know if you will be on AVAPS, which can increase pressure support on a breath by breath basis to assure volume, but even simple bilevel helps.

Best of luck in your upcoming evaluations, and getting back to normal.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome back and keep us posted on your progress. Many others can and will benefit from your experience and story. I hope you keep coming back to help others as well.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi again Dagswe21. I remember your first thread. I hope you can get your machine this time around. Keep us posted.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome back! The link between sleep apnea and scoliosis is an interesting one to me as I also have scoliosis. Thanks for mentioning that, I'd not thought of it. It is another piece of evidence that I may have had apnea since I was a child.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting. I have scoliosis, too. It was surgically straightened by half so I am about 26 degrees off vertical.
With severe scoliosis, it can compress the area available for the heart and lungs to function (why I had the surgery).

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dagswe21,
Good to hear from you again; I hope you are able to get your machine so you can start CPAP therapy.
Good luck to you and I hope to hear more from you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

I had my scoliosis stabilized, not corrected, by surgery when I was 16, I'm now 40. My Consultant (highest rank of doctor, here in UK) said:

During R.E.M. Sleep, everyone's upper chest becomes "paralyzed" (its normal), with the diaphragm "taking over" the breathing automatically.

If one has scoliosis, especially severe, the diaphragm is already weaker, and the lungs are squashed a bit, making a huge contribution to the chances of apnea, pneumonias, etc....

Just reporting what he said. I'm still learning, so feel free to contradict or comment!
Ps - did you have your scoliosis stabilized or corrected at all?
Post Reply Post Reply
It is good to hear from you, glad that you will be getting help. You are bringing information to us. We all help each other.

Thanks Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-06-2017, 04:24 AM)Dagswe21 Wrote: ... Ps - did you have your scoliosis stabilized or corrected at all?

Yes. I had a Harrington rod spinal fusion to stabilize the curve and correct as much as possible. They took bone chips from the left pelvis rim and wedged them between the vertebrae on the left side to push the spine straighter, then lay the rod along the left side and anchored it with bone chips. I was about 56 degrees off vertical; now I am about 26 degrees off vertical. I'm not in chronic back pain since the surgery healed. If I try to twist the fused portion, it can't and will hurt (badminton was a really bad idea!).

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 486 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 996 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,530 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  [Diagnosis] AHI scores - what sort of range do people have? p123 4 498 10-14-2023, 09:49 AM
Last Post: jstro84
  New member sghalloway 11 970 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway
  [Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user squiddog 4 448 09-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: squiddog
  New Member Intro and OSCAR charts DaveInDenver 2 420 08-11-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: DaveInDenver

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.