Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Source of Resmed S9 EPR reverse flow whistle!
Source of Resmed S9 EPR reverse flow whistle!
I've had this unit probably 3 years and experienced the oh-so-common whistle for the past 2.

My cpap is inside my night stand. I put a 2" hole in the back for electricity, inside light and the extra long hose. I run the hose up over the back of my headboard.

This install hides the ugly unit (cuz it's so cool for a fit athletic guy in 30s to have a cpap), hides the distilled gals of water), keeps the unit cleaner, hides 90% of the cpap noise, and most important, keeps me from rolling over on the hose!

The last week of so, the d**n whistle has bothered me a lot when trying to fall to sleep. I decided I would see if I could narrow this down... tried all the component, removed the filter, removed humidifier, different hose.... always have the whistle exactly the same. While the cpap was running at a 9.3, I put my hand over the output where the hose goes on the side (humidifier removed) and THERE IT WAS! The whistle! Nonstop!

I love to take stuff apart and see how it works. But I don't want to risk it o this life changing machine.

Has anyone taken the machine apart and run it with the inside exposed? Narrowed down anymore where the whistle is from? It seems to me, it's the backpressure causing it. Perhaps there is a check valve that has some rubber that vibrates? Perhaps part of the check/resistance valve is torn?

It just seems, this whistle is made by a vibrating piece of rubber - like a whoppie cushion. If someone would prove this and find a modification, you'd have a ton of happy cpap users!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Source of Resmed S9 EPR reverse flow whistle!
Hi neal,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy and finding out where the whistle is in your machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Probably not far off. Rubber seals degrade over time. I would look at one of those.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the welcome.

Do any schematics exist for the Resmed S9 to anyone's knowledge,
Post Reply Post Reply
No. They consider them trade secret.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
the 3 colored wires connecting the motor to the computer board are fed though the silicon seal between the top and bottom of the motor compartment at the front of the machine. you can find pictures under s9 teardown on google, I think.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 2 42 3 hours ago
Last Post: emile.leplattenier
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 1 37 4 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  What is that spike in Flow limit? urachan 7 452 03-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: urachan
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 5 142 03-16-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 141 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 132 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 234 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.