Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sources for accurate information on coronoavirus
Sources for accurate information on coronoavirus
I see a lot of inaccurate claims made about coronavirus.  These are very authoritative and informative websites for information. 

This is a resource that is updated daily. It is by ArsTechnica which does really good scientific and technology reporting. I have read it for years. 

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03/...ronavirus/

This is for the more advanced reader, but many of the articles are comprehensible by the general public. "Science" magazine is published by the American Association for the Advancement of Science which is one of the most prestigeous societies there is. 

https://www.sciencemag.org/coronavirus-r...mp=ghd_cov
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sources for accurate information on coronoavirus
Thank-you.  The fact is that the virus and what impact it is having on society and how we are dealing with it changes almost daily.  Publications more than about a week old have to be taken as dated, although perhaps not necessarily as outdated...if you know what I mean.

I listen to MedCram on youtube and to Dr. John Campbell's daily two or three updates, also on youtube.  Also, it might be worth listening to Dr. David Kincaid's channel.  He has a recent sobering personal update and views on where we are going.  Recent mathematical predictions have the course of the virus going bad, and not just over the next two months.  Infections and re-infections will have the global population in a serious trouble until possibly the early fall of next year, and then only if we develop successful treatments and forestalling measures such as vaccines.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the linked info. As mesenteria mentioned, as things like news, facts, false info, and etc. about this virus change daily it seems, it can be hard to keep up with it all.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a good daily update on matters relating to the virus - easy ten minute podcasts by well respected doctor/journalist Dr Norman Swan:

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/coronacast/
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep in mind that many "journalists" who are reporting on COVID-19 issues many times have a political bent warping their view of reality and report things that fall in with their own political persuasion or agenda, and many times fail to report on things that go against their own political views.  This goes for all groups, right, left and in between. 

I know every journalist claims to be "fair, honest & balanced", and especially today they claim to be "presenting the scientific facts from the experts" but we all know this is simply not true in all cases.  Reporters can cherry-pick their "experts" from anywhere or from any political persuasion. Just because they have "Doctor" before their name or have a PhD, that is no indication of their expertise.

Read each news piece with a large degree of skepticism is all I'm saying.  And if a news reporter seems to be heavy on "placing blame" on one party or the other, you can pretty well count on it that these are the types that are using this crisis to further their own agenda.

Personally, I think it's terrible when this crisis is used for political points.  If I see a reporter go that direction, I immediately go elsewhere for my news.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've been following Norman Swan for years - his agenda is evidence-based medicine. He works for the ABC, which is the government-owned network in Australia but never pulls his punches and has been critical of the government's response, saying it's too little and too slow.

Quote:Read each news piece with a large degree of skepticism is all I'm saying.

Absolutely. But you also rely on the opinions of those around you to help form an opinion of who is reliable and who is not. On the basis of many years following him, it's my opinion that Swan is highly reliable. Moreover his podcasts are very listenable and cut through a lot of political double-talk we get.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheynes stoke respiration, false flag or accurate? BDGold99 1 104 03-27-2024, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question Started CPAP treatment - Would like advice on my sleep study and OSCAR information Mythique 27 2,802 01-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Information About Knightbridge Dual Chin Strap - IMPORTANT cmpman1974 0 443 12-13-2023, 12:31 AM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  Recommendations for (fairly) accurate sleep trackers? SleepyMcDonald 1 461 11-08-2023, 10:59 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Meaning of information on "Sleep Report" Resmed Aircurve Auto fredhaddock 3 486 11-05-2023, 10:39 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Humidifier - Basic information nobody writes about fotjon 1 602 10-15-2023, 02:52 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Question about how AirSense 10 acquires information. paulag1955 5 457 10-07-2023, 04:25 PM
Last Post: paulag1955

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.