Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sp02 question
Sp02 question
I recently purchased the CMS50D+. Last night used for first time so I know to not get to crazy about what I see. I've read enough on this forum to know to use it for a while before drawing any conclusions.

My question is, as a newbie Sp02 user, is it typical in the beginning for the graphs to look like a San Francisco earthquake seismograph?

It shows little black boxes/bars that are "events" and are many of them. I'm doing well on my cpap and watch Rescan most everyday and results in there are very good. AHI less than one.

The graph for O2 looked radical. One place it dipped below the 88 red line, but I think that might have been when I changed the clippy thing from one finger to another then back again. Is it possible to be doing well from the data in cpap, but still having an O2 problem?

I have read on other threads that the clock is not settable on this model? Hmmm.

I'm not panicked , just want to know what to expect during the beginning of my learning curve.

One thing interesting. I took off cpap for the last two hours just to see what it would do to o2 but as you can see, not much changed. I think after capping for some hours, my "pipes" are nice and open and I can sleep for a while without obstruction. You think?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sp02 question
(12-05-2013, 10:48 AM)drgrimes Wrote: I recently purchased the CMS50D+. Last night used for first time so I know to not get to crazy about what I see. I've read enough on this forum to know to use it for a while before drawing any conclusions.

My question is, as a newbie Sp02 user, is it typical in the beginning for the graphs to look like a San Francisco earthquake seismograph?

It shows little black boxes/bars that are "events" and are many of them. I'm doing well on my cpap and watch Rescan most everyday and results in there are very good. AHI less than one.

The graph for O2 looked radical. One place it dipped below the 88 red line, but I think that might have been when I changed the clippy thing from one finger to another then back again. Is it possible to be doing well from the data in cpap, but still having an O2 problem?

I have read on other threads that the clock is not settable on this model? Hmmm.

I'm not panicked , just want to know what to expect during the beginning of my learning curve.

One thing interesting. I took off cpap for the last two hours just to see what it would do to o2 but as you can see, not much changed. I think after capping for some hours, my "pipes" are nice and open and I can sleep for a while without obstruction. You think?
i think you are seeing noise. Perhaps you should try the probe on a different finger, perhaps you move around too much. It shows big dips of O2, but yet the heart rate does not spike. This data is questionable. When my pulse oximeter shows an event the O2 goes down, the heart rate goes up.

Don in Austin

Don in Austin

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Don. I was just looking at Rescan for last night....pretty uneventful. AHI was .4 and nothing that seemed to be linked to the O2 graphs. I was a bit restless last night, I guess thinking about the thing on my finger and wondering if it was on and recording. Seems that we are destined to think about stupid things in the dark of night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe you can try taping the clip so it stays still when you move around while sleeping. Just a suggestion
Post Reply Post Reply
That is why I opted to pay a bit more and get the wrist mounted unit with a wire to the probe. The finger unit s fine when you are awake getting a spot check and monitoring the results, like in the doctors office.
But for an overnight recording unit on your finger there is a lot of mass for the way it is clamped on your finger and any movement can cause it to shift and provide bogus data.
My SPO2 also graphs profusion index which I gues tells if it is really reading the info accurately.
Post Reply Post Reply
Disclaimer: Not a Doctor.

You O2 sats look great for the 60 minute period you show. No problems there. The "event" threshold can be changed on the tools box for the software. There are not only cliff events (SpO2 below 88) but also rate events (change of greater than 10% in one minute). I think the default values are a little conservative. Relax them just a little and most of the events disappear.

I've got the "E" version of the same meter and if you shake you hand, you will get variations in the reading. Give it a try some time when you put the instrument on before you go to sleep. You may just be moving around a bit more while you fall asleep.

O2 recorders are a great addition to the data set. I've posted here many times how surprised I was to see O2 sats in the 70's during multiple hypopnea events in a row.

Best of luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the help everyone. It's sure nice to have a place full of people who have "been there, done that".
Post Reply Post Reply
Careful taping it down. That model, the hinge is fragile. If you tape it down, sometimes it will go a little bonkers on you.

Try wearing it some during the day and practice with it. You can use the SpO2 (not the Review) and view it "live" so you can check the tape and angle and all that as you play with it.

It got your pulse right but not the O2. This could mean it just did not "see" it well but could "feel" the pulse. Try another finger. If you have big fingers, try the pinkie.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I just took a fairly large bandaid and ran it down the side and along my finger...lengthwise. I did not wrap anything around it because the increase pressure makes it start to throb. My results were much more normal looking than the first night. I was actually able to forget that I had it on and slept the night through.

I have notice from previous threads, that this little unit is a bit tricky to navigate the menus. Someone, thank God, I think it was Paula, posted the path where Spo2 stores the data. One thing I figured out is the naming of each new session is the key. It uses your name as you open the session, so just put in today's date and you will build a history of files.

Also I would suggest while you are in there deep and looking, right click the "data" folder, and click send shortcut to desktop. Then you can go there easy in the future.

In case anyone needs that again:
could be a bit different depending on version of windows
c:\users\yourname\appdata\local\virtualstore\programfiles(x86)\spo2\data
on versions older than Win7, users is under documents & settings
Post Reply Post Reply
We have a wiki here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...2_software

And how to get it into SleepyHead:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the best way to record SP02 for OSCAR Ghandi 2 428 09-08-2023, 12:51 PM
Last Post: Ghandi
  [CPAP] Initial Sleep onset CA's associated with lower Sp02 ducksinerr 1 526 07-23-2022, 07:34 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Lower altitidue & improved Sp02 readings MCS2014 4 729 01-17-2022, 10:27 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Oximiter Sp02 Check Phil7 5 808 10-20-2021, 08:06 AM
Last Post: MoreBeers
  concern about SP02 levels Snowy2020 24 2,383 10-12-2021, 08:57 AM
Last Post: kbauhs
  SP02 levels and sleep apnea, pressure etc. revbkelly 10 1,391 07-21-2021, 09:41 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Definitive list of SP02/Pulse Oximeters for Oscar? tsitalon1 1 926 01-29-2021, 12:02 PM
Last Post: upsman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.