Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Help me change my life, another OSCAR assesment
Sad 
Help me change my life, another OSCAR assesment
Hey guys,

I am really in need of some advice, as I cannot function anymore. 
OSA is really taking over my life.

In May 2022 I was diagnosed with mild to moderate OSA at a sleep lab.

Since late May I have been using a ResMed Airsense 10 Auto CPAP machine + F20 mask and have had several troubles that I have partially been able to successfully address. 

My issue is that the way I feel after sleeping seems to be luck of the draw. Regardless of how I use the machine. Most of the time I am waking up absolutely wrecked, like a Zombie. It’s not that I am necessarily overly sleepy. It’s more the general feeling of utter exhaustion. 

Brain fog, headaches, stingy red eyes, and the feeling of a heavy head like I have been partying for 3 days in a row are my main symptoms. This comes with mood swings, concentration / memory issues and zero energy, also very low libido which is affecting my relationship too.

This happens nearly every single day. 

My first issue is that I am a mouth breather, not just at night but in everyday life – This now makes sense as it has always been the case since early childhood memories. I had my tonsils removed and my polyps made smaller around the age of 13. Still, every day I feel like I have trouble always breathing through my nose, more like it does not come naturally, so my mouth is open the whole day.

Using nasal spray that numbs my blood vessels helps tremendously and IU do feel a real difference mostly the next day with most symptoms gone, however I am not supposed to use it more than 3 days in a row. Now I have an appointment in 1 month with an ENT to check my nasal passages and see if I can get an operation done, I am guessing that might help.

When I started using the machine, I had severe problems with dry mouth issues which I have been able to address mostly successfully by cranking up the humidity to the max setting and setting it to 29C (84.2F) and 2 x using Xylimelts tablets nightly, otherwise I wake up from dry mouth.

In terms of how long I have been able to use the machine, I have had a little more success. Usually manage around 5-8 hours per night now, but often still feel wrecked the next morning as stated above.

It’s worth mentioning that I have had blood tests done, everything seems to be fine, though my Testo and Iron levels are on the lower side, but apparently within range.

Below are my results from the sleep lab:

DOB (dd/mm/1985): Height (cm): 177 Weight (kg): 82 BMI (kg/m2): 26.2

Summary Sleep Architecture
Time available for sleep (min) = 467.0 Sleep latency (min) = 75.0 Total sleep time (min) = 257.5 REM latency (min) = 77.0 Wake after sleep onset (min) = 134.5 NREM sleep (min) = 172.0 Sleep efficiency (%) = 55.1 REM sleep (min) = 85.5

Respiratory*, Movement and arousal events Total RDI (events/hr) = 7.0 Minimum SpO2 (%) = 91 Total AHI (events/hr) RERA index = 6.8 = 0.2 ODI (desat/hr) = 3.0 RDI in NREM (events/hr) RDI in REM (events/hr) = 2.1 = 16.8 
Limb Movement (Movement/hr)= 0.0
Total arousal index (arousals/hr)= 21.9 Limb arousal index (arousals/hr)= 0.0

So, these are my issues, and my questions and worries are: 

Am I going anywhere with this? Do I just need to give it more time, months, years? 

Or am I even doing something wrong like keeping my EPR settings on or other settings like ramp? 

What more can I do to feel rested and normal again in life?

TL;DR: Using CPAP for months, still no improvement and don’t know what else to do. Losing my life.

And here some results from OSCAR:

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help me change my life, another OSCAR assesment
I be would change the EPR from ramp only to full time.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2022, 09:05 PM)staceyburke Wrote: I be would change the EPR from ramp only to full time.

Thanks, happy to try anything at this point!  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Does your sleep lab know about UARS and can diagnose it? Seems like typical UARS regarding your sleep study.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2022, 02:43 AM)kakadyi Wrote: Does your sleep lab know about UARS and can diagnose it? Seems like typical UARS regarding your sleep study.

Wow mate, you just sent me down a rabbit hole  Coffee 

BUT, Im really grateful! This sounds 150% like me. Thank you so much. I will be sure to mention this to my ENT in a month when I have my appointment. 

I'm really hoping for an operation, not sure what else I could do at this point, besides the ongoing use of CPAP hoping that things will get better. Upped my min pressure to 8-20 yesterday day and EPR on full time. Did sleep well, when weirdly only 5 hours due to the hose making funny noises around 5am, so I took it off. 

I guess the half tablet Valium helped too though, obs that can't be an ongoing nightly solution, I guess?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2022, 05:34 PM)Koalamanx Wrote: Wow mate, you just sent me down a rabbit hole  Coffee 

BUT, Im really grateful! This sounds 150% like me. Thank you so much. I will be sure to mention this to my ENT in a month when I have my appointment. 

I'm really hoping for an operation, not sure what else I could do at this point, besides the ongoing use of CPAP hoping that things will get better. Upped my min pressure to 8-20 yesterday day and EPR on full time. Did sleep well, when weirdly only 5 hours due to the hose making funny noises around 5am, so I took it off. 

I guess the half tablet Valium helped too though, obs that can't be an ongoing nightly solution, I guess?

Be careful, any nasal surgery can cause empty nose syndrome.It's irreversibly and will destroy your life. If u have narrow jaw, then u have narrow nasal airway and nasal surgery will not help you. Before any surgery i would to try BiPAP like Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto. SOme people with UARS find it helpful.
Any tablets i think is useless (except PLMD probably) especially if u have narrow airways. Best option for u is find some MD who really know about UARS and can do CBCT with your airways analysis
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2022, 11:46 PM)kakadyi Wrote: Be careful, any nasal surgery can cause empty nose syndrome.It's irreversibly and will destroy your life. If u have narrow jaw, then u have narrow nasal airway and nasal surgery will not help you. Before any surgery i would to try BiPAP like Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto. SOme people with UARS find it helpful.
Any tablets i think is useless (except PLMD probably) especially if u have narrow airways. Best option for u is find some MD who really know about UARS and can do CBCT with your airways analysis

Oh my, you just scared the hell out of me Shock

I hope there are some successful cases too.

Definitely keen to try BiPAP, just not sure how to "try" it? Machines are like $4000...Would love to rent one somewhere and try for a few weeks, afaik ResMed only rents out general CPAP ones, might be wrong on that one though.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 44 Yesterday, 02:48 PM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,455 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,717 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 402 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,114 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.