Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SpO2 Interpretation
SpO2 Interpretation
I was wondering if someone could look at the attached SpO2 graph and let me know if this is indicative of what I think it is?

[Image: Sp_O2.png]

My guess = this screams apnea-related desaturation, but relatively minor (but still of concern). I'm also guessing that my DME's setting of 12 at the top range wasn't correct - but she doesn't have the SpO2 data yet... which brings me to:

My Airsense 10 didn't score a single AHI last night. At all. I'm assuming that since the Airsense 10 doesn't know about the SpO2 numbers, there are likely some events (maybe a lot of events) which aren't being scored which would be if it had direct SpO2 access?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SpO2 Interpretation
What oximeter are you using? Prima facie, I do not see a problem with your SpO2.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like you have frequent disturbances (possibly awakenings) when the pressure is maxed out and some minor desats are occurring around that time. It may indicate the need for higher pressure so discuss that with your respiratory tech.

Blow that graph up and look at the flow pattern during those periods and you can get a better idea of how to proceed. Also check the coincident flow limitations, if such there be.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
Good question. I am also learning to read the charts. Any advice or ideas to read about are welcome. Thanks for asking the question and thank all for answers.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2016, 04:54 PM)justMongo Wrote: What oximeter are you using? Prima facie, I do not see a problem with your SpO2.

CMS50D+ right now.

Post Reply Post Reply
first off, I wish I had your graph.
it looks like your 12 is on the low side, but you are not having events which is the whole point
the O2 does look like mine and Doc said not to worry until it gets below 88% and stays there for some time-but that's my Doc and not yours.

Like I said I would like to have yours.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2016, 05:09 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: Looks like you have frequent disturbances (possibly awakenings) when the pressure is maxed out and some minor desats are occurring around that time. It may indicate the need for higher pressure so discuss that with your respiratory tech.

I was actually surprised with the lowering to 12, especially since the sleep study includes phrases like "He appeared to do best at the final pressure of 15 cm".

(05-20-2016, 05:09 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: Blow that graph up and look at the flow pattern during those periods and you can get a better idea of how to proceed. Also check the coincident flow limitations, if such there be.

I've attached a few that I'm not sure if are normal or not (still learning here)....

I can say that once I reach the top end, everything seems to start oscillating. I.E. tidal volume starts bouncing from ~100 to ~900. Insp and Exp time starts bouncing around. Flow limit generally increases, etc. And most of what few scoreable events I do have seem to occur during these periods.

Because I was concerned about whether my treatment was sufficient, I added the SpO2 logging and it and the pulse rate do the same thing - once I hit 12, they start bouncing around as well, which I have no idea if this is normal or not....

I do have a hard time asking these questions because when I look at other people's graphs, I just cringe. I feel kinda like a kid whining about a tiny little scrape when his friend has a compound fracture. Feel free to let me know that I'm worried about nothing and I'll stop whining.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2016, 06:28 PM)PoolQ Wrote: first off, I wish I had your graph.
it looks like your 12 is on the low side, but you are not having events which is the whole point
the O2 does look like mine and Doc said not to worry until it gets below 88% and stays there for some time-but that's my Doc and not yours.

Like I said I would like to have yours.

Yeah, as I pointed out in a reply I was posting while you were posting, I somewhat feel like I should just be happy with how good I've got it. Sort of the Apnea equivalent of a 'first world problem'. I'm just very very very thankful that my chart does look like it does - my study AHI was 99.4 and they woke me up at 83% of SpO2 before it could drop any lower.

Part of the underlying concern here is that I want to make sure that this treatment is working as well as it could be, mainly because I seem to have acquired resistive hypertension along the way somewhere - no matter what medication we try, I am still at about the same high blood pressure. I'd hate to proceed onto the next attempt at a solution to the blood pressure problem, not realizing that the apnea wasn't really under control.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2016, 07:26 PM)forrestc Wrote: I was actually surprised with the lowering to 12, especially since the sleep study includes phrases like "He appeared to do best at the final pressure of 15 cm".
sleep studies are often inaccurate, our sleep varies from day to day, and even from hour to hour.

sleep studies are a small slice out of all that.
Post Reply Post Reply
So do I! It has improved slightly since I started using CPAP, but it's still not controlled. I'm on 3 BP meds.

I had very high hopes that CPAP use would help my blood pressure more than it has, since the development of the treatment-resistant hypertension happened during the period when my sleep apnea symptoms started becoming obvious.

I'm glad that you posted the sPO2 & pulse graphs. I'd like to learn more about what's normal and not normal.

I'm not clear on what's the lowest acceptable sPO2 while sleeping. 92%? 90%? If it drops to 86% a few times, but comes right back up, is that a problem?

(05-20-2016, 07:50 PM)forrestc Wrote: Part of the underlying concern here is that I want to make sure that this treatment is working as well as it could be, mainly because I seem to have acquired resistive hypertension along the way somewhere - no matter what medication we try, I am still at about the same high blood pressure. I'd hate to proceed onto the next attempt at a solution to the blood pressure problem, not realizing that the apnea wasn't really under control.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  should I raise my CPAP pressure if 3AM spo2 is loow RichardW 13 319 04-16-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: RichardW
  Data interpretation - Luna G3 Big Ultima Energy 3 86 04-14-2024, 06:27 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76
  Oscar Data Interpretation UPDATED Johand77 1 112 04-10-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR data interpretation Johand77 8 195 04-10-2024, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Johand77
Question [Equipment] How does the CSV extract from Wellue SpO2 ring look like? Ayush Shrivastava 2 152 04-05-2024, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Ayush Shrivastava
  Going it alone-help me with my settings and SpO2 desats Papgirl 4 254 03-31-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 290 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.