Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SpO2 decreases when lying down - feeling of getting not enough air
SpO2 decreases when lying down - feeling of getting not enough air
When I initially lay down to sleep I'm ok. I have BI-LEVEL machine set to 5min ramp, starting EPAP 4, IPAP 8, PS4. Then it goes to EPAP 4.4, IPAP 8.4 to start for rest of night. 

If I get up during the night, then lay back down and put my mask on, the pressure it starts with again doesn't seem as high as when I first turned it on at the start of the night. I'm not sure if it's due to me being used to the pressure after a few hours of using it, or not.

Anyway, I feel like I'm not getting enough air. I check my SpO2 with Contec device, and an oximeter, and it reads 91-92% when I first lay down again. Then it goes to 94-95% for rest of the night. My pulmonologist and hematologist ran tests and didn't find anything wrong. Cardiologist says nothing wrong either. Although they may do a VQ Scan to test lung function and check for remaining blood clots from last years DVT/PE.

Is it normal for SpO2 to drop when first laying down? What could cause this initial shortness of breath?
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SpO2 decreases when lying down - feeling of getting not enough air
About your SPO2 when first hooked up, that's an indication, maybe, that you 'exist' near that general level during waking/working when you are relaxed and not very active.  Perhaps your breathing slows as the night wears on prior to bed, or it becomes more shallow...dunno.  However, if I read you correctly, you seem to improve as you sleep, and that's salutary in my books.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your EPAP level of 4-ish is considered too low by the heavy majority of users...like about 90%.  They feel oxygen starved.  If it works for you, and your sat is okay, …..

About your SPO2 when first hooked up, that's an indication, maybe, that you 'exist' near that general level during waking/working when you are relaxed and not very active.  Perhaps your breathing slows as the night wears on prior to bed, or it becomes more shallow...dunno.  However, if I read you correctly, you seem to improve as you sleep, and that's salutary in my books.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. Yeah I'm not sure. I could raise EPAP to 5, as long as it doesnt cause centrals. I've had two DVT's/PE's, last one was in 2018 and on Xarelto blood thinner now. My problem is my normal SpO2 is never above 95%, even in the day. Before my DVT/PE it was much higher 98-99%. I guess those blood clots messed up my lung and heart function, although all tests so far are negative.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
It could just be that when changing positions it takes a good while to get a good and steady reading from the pulse oximeter. But your starting pressures are likely low enough to create a feeling of being starved for air as well. Just like when people use CPAP of 4cmh2o. Maybe start at 9/5, PS 4, and see if that helps.

If lying down before you masked up causes you to feel short of breath because a physical condition with your body, it would show on the tests. It would be either the heart, lungs, or diaphragm muscle strength that most likely would be the culprit. Sounds like your doctor is on the case. If the heart and lungs themselves check out, I would have them test your diaphragm using a peak flow meter having you use it while both sitting up and lying down, and see if there is a large discrepancy in the measured forced vital capacity (FVC) which would likely indicate muscle weakness. Again this is highly unlikely but it is indeed comprehensive.

Do you have any obvious swelling/water retention in your feet/ankles?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 254 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 385 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy
  Help on analysing SpO2 drops a21900 9 824 03-02-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Per Laursen
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 673 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 227 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 321 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 302 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.