Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Speaking of Distilled vs. Tap Water.
Speaking of Distilled vs. Tap Water.
Which maybe we weren't.

I've read a number of threads debating what you should use. Generally it sounds like using tap water is a fine idea if you rinse your jug out every day. And that may well be true.

I'm not sure I agree though, and here's why: I manage a water district where we live. Our water quality is, I feel, and according to some very expensive testing we do, very very good. But it does contain the legally required residual of chlorine, which the government assures us is totally harmless. But they're thinking we're drinking this stuff, not breathing it. Secondly, depending on where you live, there is a substantial difference in how much residual chlorine will be in the water. Also many other factors such as lead and copper, and hundreds of other contaminants impact our water which again, while safe to drink, should we be snorting it?

I don't really know, but I think for the cost and efforts involved it is a prudent idea to only use distilled water in these things. You could use bottled "spring water," but probably not at any real cost savings, and since those things are choke full of minerals why do that?

Anyhow that's my take on drinking water based on quite a few years of reading our rather exhaustive test result studies on water we sell to our happy customers. Distilled water is pretty cheap, and I'm thinking its probably a good idea to use it in our water jugs.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Speaking of Distilled vs. Tap Water.
Hi retired_guy! The labels on my humidifier say "Distilled Water Only" (and so do the printed manuals). Also, the tap water in my neck of the woods has quite a bit of minerals in it, evidenced by the buildup on shower doors / facets -- so I'm going to stick with the distilled water.

However, is there a chance that distilled water can go "bad" since there isn't chlorine in it? Bought a gallon, and it looks like it'll take me 2 weeks to use it all up in the humidifier. Don't want to poison myself accidentally, heh.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2014, 01:08 PM)c0reDump Wrote: Hi retired_guy! The labels on my humidifier say "Distilled Water Only" (and so do the printed manuals). Also, the tap water in my neck of the woods has quite a bit of minerals in it, evidenced by the buildup on shower doors / facets -- so I'm going to stick with the distilled water.

However, is there a chance that distilled water can go "bad" since there isn't chlorine in it? Bought a gallon, and it looks like it'll take me 2 weeks to use it all up in the humidifier. Don't want to poison myself accidentally, heh.

Properly distilled water is as pure h20 as you can get. It will not "go bad" unless you somehow introduce contaminants into it, which is not likely. That said, don't drink the stuff because without all the junk in it, it really doesn't taste that great.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I were using my humidifier I would never use tap water.
Corrosive chlorine, dissolved minerals, etc., even when rinsed
leave residue that builds up. If you want your machine to last
use only distilled or DI water (de-ionized). Sure you might be able
to get by on tap water, but it's never good for the machine. I suppose
if your insurance gave you a new machine every couple years it
wouldn't be a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
The 'official' correct answer. is to only use distilled water, period. All the machine makers say so, and it's not just what you might end up breathing in, but also what might grow, clog, etc the machine over time.

That said, I use my well water for the last 4-5 years, with no (known) issues - but I am aware that I am rolling the dice.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
If you use distilled water, keep it refrigerated and in a sealed container - any water will, over time, become contaminated, but by keeping it sealed and cool and taking it out and opening only to fill the tank and then return it to the fridge will minimize any potential growth in the container.

And toss any left over water in the humidifier tank in the morning and dry it, my preferred method being by forced air (just turn off the humidifier and auto-off, remove your cf card (do that first) and then run your machine for around 30 minutes to an hour, and it will dry the tank and hose and nasal pillow interior - it won't dry a ff mask, alas, because of the large open surface when not worn).

And yes, I also recommend distilled water only, for the machine's health and for yours.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2014, 03:28 PM)Peter_C Wrote: The 'official' correct answer. is to only use distilled water, period. All the machine makers say so, and it's not just what you might end up breathing in, but also what might grow, clog, etc the machine over time.

That said, I use my well water for the last 4-5 years, with no (known) issues - but I am aware that I am rolling the dice.

Thanks Peter,
Well water normally is not chlorinated and normally does not contain the bacterias you would find in UN-chlorinated surface water sources. Wells are usually tested when first drilled then presumed to stay safe from then on unless something unusual happens. I did have a resident in our area that elected to build a rabbit hutch around his well head and managed to contaminate the thing. I'm sure that is not the case with you, so that's good. The actually quality of well water varies significantly from place to place, and sometimes even in very close proximity to other wells. In our area wells typically contain large amounts of sulfur which isn't really all that cool tasting or smelling. So for you, the issue is more about what trace minerals might be in there and whether or not they are damaging to you or your equipment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2014, 04:14 PM)DocWils Wrote: If you use distilled water, keep it refrigerated and in a sealed container - any water will, over time, become contaminated, but by keeping it sealed and cool and taking it out and opening only to fill the tank and then return it to the fridge will minimize any potential growth in the container.

And toss any left over water in the humidifier tank in the morning and dry it, my preferred method being by forced air (just turn off the humidifier and auto-off, remove your cf card (do that first) and then run your machine for around 30 minutes to an hour, and it will dry the tank and hose and nasal pillow interior - it won't dry a ff mask, alas, because of the large open surface when not worn).

And yes, I also recommend distilled water only, for the machine's health and for yours.

Thanks Doc, good points. So, you wouldn't really recommend the microwave method for drying your stuff?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2014, 04:14 PM)DocWils Wrote: And yes, I also recommend distilled water only, for the machine's health and for yours.
I use tap water and fine with that and the machine too ... she told me so
I encounter more risk crossing the street to buy the gallon of distilled water Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think you have to empty the tank every night it's just as if it were in the bottle you took it out of. I have been filling mine up every night without dumping what is left over and all is fine. I go thru a gallon a month and I'll bet it sits in the store twice as long. How long do you store your emergency water? 6 months.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 8 2,084 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dean406
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 149 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 188 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,924 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,505 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 207 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 239 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.